• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The art of a one page story
2 2

18 posts in this topic

Last week I got a one-page Jack B. Quick story written by Alan Moore with masterful art by Kevin Nowlan. 

Obviously, beyond it being a Moore/Nowlan collaboration, it's also hand-lettered in Kevin's distinctive style so words on a page so you can actually read it! :news:

Feel free to share your own one-page stories if you've got them, or ones you would like (images please!). 

1662606714_nowlanabc64pagespecialjackbquick1020.jpg.f36e39860b006fd3cb8d67f6174c5f28.jpg 

Marvel Comics #1000 was filled with these great one page stories, many of which offered clues to future story lines along the Marvel Comics line.  This was one of my favorites and I was glad to add the original art by Dustin Weaver to my collection.  Not only does it celebrate one of the greatest X-Men crossovers of all time, "The Age of Apocalypse", but it also features one of the first looks at the original Horsemen of Apocalypse, who will have a larger role in the current "X of Swords" taking place in the X books.

1Ak7mM8J_1707202102381gpadd.jpeg.07e84713b0de5235f9adc4cea8ce311e.jpegRCO059_1567001176.jpg.8f19bc6884e546ada29fa1e7a785fcc7.jpg

I love one-page stories. Sheldon Mayer had them in Sugar and Spike. I don't have one of those, but I have his demo "Sunday" strip which I feel qualifies.

Mayer, Sheldon - Sugar & Spike (restored, smaller).jpg

His covers for S&S were usually stories in their own right. Here's a preliminary that was not used.

Mayer, Sheldon - Taking out the Dog (unpublished cover pre-lim).jpg

Edited by alxjhnsn

Like David (Hi David!) I also collect humorous stuff where the one-page gag is quite common. I think I have shown this one before, but in this page from Josie #87 Dan DeCarlo shows how a pretty lame gag can be turned into something brilliant with a master behind the drawing board:

DeCarlo_Josie_87.jpg.3a619a1121224e92500b32c90120e551.jpg

If you click on the picture you will be directed to a bigger scan in my DeCarlo-gallery on CAF.

BTW, is Sunday gags considered one-page stories or are they a category by themselves?

1 hour ago, Caltex98 said:

BTW, is Sunday gags considered one-page stories or are they a category by themselves?

I consider them different.things. Sunday gags are always 1-page stories. Finding a 1-page story inside a comic book is more rare.

I think this might qualify as a one-pager . . . A single page incorporating two GARTH tryout strips from early in David Lloyd's career (V for Vendetta was years away at this point).  Interestingly, David illustrated these at same size of the printed page, not realising that originals were illustrated much larger in size! 

Vq48GGYH_201018070103lola.jpg

Edited by The Voord