• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Massive Turnover at DC comics.
1 1

102 posts in this topic

Looks more like a consolidation for cost cutting measures rather than doom and gloom for DC as a whole.  Best example is the shuttering of the DC Universe Streaming division?  HBO Max can handle that.  As far as DC Direct... it might be better to shut it down and dream it all up again.  Hasbro adopted it's model based off MattyCollector and has run wile with it.  It looks like DC is seeing the opportunities out there to limit certain types of merchandise to per-order numbers and to gauge interest through crowdsourcing like Hasbro is doing with its higher end projects.   This is far more efficient then trying to get certain things into comic shops or brick and mortar. 

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

Looks more like a consolidation for cost cutting measures rather than doom and gloom for DC as a whole.  Best example is the shuttering of the DC Universe Streaming division?  HBO Max can handle that.  As far as DC Direct... it might be better to shut it down and dream it all up again.  Hasbro adopted it's model based off MattyCollector and has run wile with it.  It looks like DC is seeing the opportunities out there to limit certain types of merchandise to per-order numbers and to gauge interest through crowdsourcing like Hasbro is doing with its higher end projects.   This is far more efficient then trying to get certain things into comic shops or brick and mortar. 

If When HBO Max absorbs DCU, I hope they bring over their comics library. Over 22k DC comics going back to the Golden Age included with the subscription. It was a great feature.

Edited by Chazgee

3 minutes ago, Chazgee said:

If When HBO Max absorbs DCU, I hope they bring over their comics library. Over 22k DC comics going back to the Golden Age included with the subscription. It was a great feature.

I wonder if I could use the local cable provider login ID to access something like that as I do with HBO Max.   That would be absolutely delightful. 

Yeah I just saw the news my thoughts were they are probably planning on consolidating and revamping.

30 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Consolidate titles, artists, and writers! Quality over quantity!

I think most of the layoffs were in the streaming and merchandising areas. Not sure if the article talked about comics or Graphic novels area.

3 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

Apple is superior to cherry lol. 

Yup.  I was going to ask kav if it's as popular over there in the states.  An apple / cream turnover is especially nice.

Yeah, the DC Direct will probably go the way that I said but now licensed through Hasbro or Mattel itself.  McFarlane already has already had the license to do DC figures for the past year, perhaps they do some higher end stuff with him to see what happens after the success of the Spawn title. 

I still say we are ten years away from going all digital and then collecting digital arcs or 10 issue runs into TPB's.   Producing monthly floppies is going to eventually outlast business sense. 

24 minutes ago, adampasz said:

DC3Cast pod had a good discussion about this:
http://www.multiversitycomics.com/podcasts/the-dc3cast-bonus-layoffs/

There were lay-offs at DC Editorial as well. They will probably need to relaunch/reboot the line.

I think the big question is how the digital comic strategy shakes out.

Introducing: The New New New 52! or the New 2 titles per month! lol