• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Massive Turnover at DC comics.
1 1

102 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

Yeah, the DC Direct will probably go the way that I said but now licensed through Hasbro or Mattel itself.  McFarlane already has already had the license to do DC figures for the past year, perhaps they do some higher end stuff with him to see what happens after the success of the Spawn title. 

I still say we are ten years away from going all digital and then collecting digital arcs or 10 issue runs into TPB's.   Producing monthly floppies is going to eventually outlast business sense. 

We're definitely headed that way, but I think it's going to be much sooner than 10 years. I think it'll be under 5, and it will be exactly as you outlined: digital and tpb's for shops.

We covered a lot of the same discussion ground back when DC broke away from Diamond, but I'm still sticking with the idea that the days are numbered for floppies, we'll be getting trades in the comic shops, young adult stuff in bookstores, and that's it. DC Direct/Collectibles has been scrambling for some time now. Sideshow has been carrying a lot of DCD product, as well as producing their own licensed DC products and as you said, McFarlane has the collector action figure license (and Spin Masters has the kid-centered toys.) I'd expect Sideshow will just go ahead and assume the complete DC statue License and create everything in house. I wonder how this will affect long standing lines like the Batman Black and White Series? I guess I can kiss my beloved DC Essentials action figure line goodbye as well. I don't buy the McFarlane figures because they're ugly as sin, so it's going to be slim pickins as a DC action figure collector. OH well, I'll save some money. 

11 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

We're definitely headed that way, but I think it's going to be much sooner than 10 years. I think it'll be under 5, and it will be exactly as you outlined: digital and tpb's for shops.

We covered a lot of the same discussion ground back when DC broke away from Diamond, but I'm still sticking with the idea that the days are numbered for floppies, we'll be getting trades in the comic shops, young adult stuff in bookstores, and that's it. DC Direct/Collectibles has been scrambling for some time now. Sideshow has been carrying a lot of DCD product, as well as producing their own licensed DC products and as you said, McFarlane has the collector action figure license (and Spin Masters has the kid-centered toys.) I'd expect Sideshow will just go ahead and assume the complete DC statue License and create everything in house. I wonder how this will affect long standing lines like the Batman Black and White Series? I guess I can kiss my beloved DC Essentials action figure line goodbye as well. I don't buy the McFarlane figures because they're ugly as sin, so it's going to be slim pickins as a DC action figure collector. OH well, I'll save some money. 

I have two statues... I have a mini Bowen Spider-man statue... and I have the Fleicher Superman design below Batman. Neither are on display.  The closest I have come to buying another statue is that McFarlane Batman Black and White 100th Statue.  That thing is incredible. 

image.png.7bfb5d7727732a5eadb363668f0992bd.png

image.png.8210196bffc05ccafd27257058046673.png

54 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I have two statues... I have a mini Bowen Spider-man statue... and I have the Fleicher Superman design below Batman. Neither are on display.  The closest I have come to buying another statue is that McFarlane Batman Black and White 100th Statue.  That thing is incredible. 

That one IS NICE isn't it  :)

IMG_20200811_111453934.jpg

55 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

That one IS NICE isn't it  :)

IMG_20200811_111453934.jpg

I wince in agony knowing you hang a $150 statue by a chain.  lol 

5 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Lol if it makes you feel any better there are things under it to catch it's fall. Like the newspaper part doesn't fit real well and has slid off a couple of times haha

But I hear you ha!

2 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

image.png.7bfb5d7727732a5eadb363668f0992bd.png

I agree, I'm not really a McFarlane guy, but that statue is gorgeous. Still deciding which version I want, as there's a 2.0 coming with a slightly different deco.

DC Direct were huge. For many, many years, they were our only source for DC toys aside from Batman, and they still produced figures that we've never seen anywhere else. Plus the artist specific lines, the statues, the props, etc. I will miss it like crazy. I was a devoted DCD fan for many years. (Not sure if we have anyone here from the old DCD boards, but those were fun times.) I like Sideshow a lot, but DC was able to pack a lot of awesome into their mid-range statues, in the $75-$150 range. Sideshow doesn't do very much on their own that isn't $300-$600. 

Tweeterhead has done some great stuff too, but I remain partial to DCD.

1 minute ago, F For Fake said:

I agree, I'm not really a McFarlane guy, but that statue is gorgeous. Still deciding which version I want, as there's a 2.0 coming with a slightly different deco.

DC Direct were huge. For many, many years, they were our only source for DC toys aside from Batman, and they still produced figures that we've never seen anywhere else. Plus the artist specific lines, the statues, the props, etc. I will miss it like crazy. I was a devoted DCD fan for many years. (Not sure if we have anyone here from the old DCD boards, but those were fun times.) I like Sideshow a lot, but DC was able to pack a lot of awesome into their mid-range statues, in the $75-$150 range. Sideshow doesn't do very much on their own that isn't $300-$600. 

Tweeterhead has done some great stuff too, but I remain partial to DCD.

I don't think it's going to go anywhere because if there was a market for it, someone will pick up the license to distribute or make their own. 

4 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

Sadly that may be true, as up to 600 staff layed off. The 'New 3:' Batman, Wonder Woman and Superman Family?

The New 3 will be Batman. Detective Comics, Batman Family! lol

It's sad for our hobby! I hope they turn it around!

I would hate to see monthlies become a thing of the past even though I don't read almost any current books.....

16 minutes ago, Comics4All said:
40 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Do you ever bang your elbow into when you have a possible high score game of Street Fighter! lol

I've bumped it a few times in other ways, does it matter if I paid full price for it? :roflmao:i did.only get it for $108 but it's sturdy  (thumbsu

4 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I've bumped it a few times in other ways, does it matter if I paid full price for it? :roflmao:i did.only get it for $108 but it's sturdy  (thumbsu

Quit bragging about your Walmart Black Friday deal! I remember the 2 little old ladies you knocked over to get that in your cart! lol