• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Graham Crackers Chicago Loop store looted, many books taken
1 1

116 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Mr bla bla said:

“Looting” - im not even sure that we have a word for this in my own language. Guess its an unknown phenomenon here, that people storm into a store and just take what they want and then leave.

Plunder, pillage, sack,  Those three are fairly representative. 

Edited by James J Johnson

3 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Burglary, robbery, larceny, theft...

These terms are missing the component implying that whatever isn't taken is left in ruin. Plunder, pillage, and sack have that connotation, that whatever is left in the wake is either burned or in pieces. That destruction and ruination is just as important and integral a part of the theft to the ones doing the stealing. 

I will second that emotion. I'm from LA so I am a little biased... We get a real bad rap as well. Any big city does. It has good and bad. Chicago is hands down my 2nd favorite big city in the country. Anybody that loves sports, great food and outstanding music would love the town. I have found most of the people real and genuine. It is sad what they are going through right now. And, like what what was said, probably from out of towners. Now south side Chitown, well it is south side and always has been rough. As in LA, south central LA is just an area to stay out of. I wish the best for you guys.

And Jamie, real sorry to hear about your store man. Hopefully, you get your books back and they catch the skum who stole them. Looking forward to seeing you at a show again soon out on the West Coast. It's been too long buddy...

1 hour ago, jcjames said:

^^^ good point. 

Back OT... looters suck, Chicago sucks (sorry if that's redundant) and hope they are able to catch the garbage that stole those books and recover them. 

Who would catch them? And let's say for the sake of imagination that there still existed some entity or organization in big cities that is tasked with enforcing laws and actually does so, as crazy as that now sounds to many, if they did "catch them", then what happens next? 

4 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Who would catch them? And let's say for the sake of imagination that there still existed some entity or organization in big cities that is tasked with enforcing laws and actually does so, as crazy as that now sounds to many, if they did "catch them", then what happens next? 

My kind slithers out of our den and we prosecute them. You know, like we’ve been doing for millennia. And will continue long after the sun has experienced heat death.

21 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

I’ll be brief, because last time I posted a more thorough explanation I caught a case with the mods - 

A certain someone in Cook County is going to drop charges against 95% of the people from last weekend. You may not hear about it, but it will happen.

25 cases were sought, 24 were approved.  Your numbers are reversed :)  

2 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Just wait ☹️

Statistically speaking, only 1 in 100 cases go to verdict the rest are either dropped or plead out.  So... I fully assume a huge chunk of those 24 will either plead out to lesser charges or the case will evaporate once discovery begins (or more likely once voir dire starts).  But... that's true of all cases in all municipalities.  

I’m aware.  But Chicago-ly speaking, dismissals are already up 10% overall, about 100 out of thousands were arrested, 24 cases are pending = 

CPD knows the score.  And they aren’t wasting their time or risking their safety.  

Just look at what it took to get a certain sommelier (re)charged.  It’s a sad state of affairs.

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

And Jamie, real sorry to hear about your store man. Hopefully, you get your books back and they catch the skum who stole them. Looking forward to seeing you at a show again soon out on the West Coast. It's been too long buddy...

I am saddened to hear of the loss as well. But there's an upside. He still came out the winner, only losing books, compared to what could have occurred had he and/or employees took shifts to stand watch and were actually there to defend and deter instead.. 

24 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

I am saddened to hear of the loss as well. But there's an upside. He still came out the winner, only losing books, compared to what could have occurred had he and/or employees took shifts to stand watch and were actually there to defend and deter instead.. 

“Winner”?  You can’t be serious.

2 hours ago, jaybuck43 said:

Statistically speaking, only 1 in 100 cases go to verdict the rest are either dropped or plead out.  So... I fully assume a huge chunk of those 24 will either plead out to lesser charges or the case will evaporate once discovery begins (or more likely once voir dire starts).  But... that's true of all cases in all municipalities.  

dont forget the looters receieve harsh looks from the authorities and that should be punishment enough!!!

3 hours ago, mattn792 said:

“Winner”?  You can’t be serious.

Yes. They're all alive and unhurt, the loss was minimal, compared to life, limb, breakage and fire, and none of them went to jail and will not have to spend tens of thousands of dollars on legal counsel because of being arrested and charged for defending themselves and/or the store. They got off light compared to how heavy a lift, during and after, it could have been. Blessings should always be counted when you lose something, sometimes alot, but don't lose yourself, friends, or family in the process.