• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Graham Crackers Chicago Loop store looted, many books taken
1 1

116 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, jcjames said:

During the LA riots of 93(?), many blocks of business were looted and burned to the ground, except those protected by their owners. Korean business shop owners spent days and nights in shifts armed on their rooftops guarding their businesses from riots and they were about the only ones around that didn't burn or get looted. Citizens defending themselves and their property when gov't fails/abandons them.

"Roof Koreans" is now a meme, google them and browse images.

This is different in that these loot and riot soirees are planned. Factions in these mobs are acting as one. They are most definitely not spontaneous. Some of the rioting groups move like a well choreographed, well-practiced para-military operation, as if SWAT is working against the law instead of with it. Hasn't anyone noticed that? There's planning here. Weapons caches well placed and all. 

2 hours ago, mattn792 said:

I’m not putting my credentials on display here, I’ve said enough. 

I’ll just close by saying that you’re demonstrating a fundamental misunderstanding of what is actually going on.

Same. 

What I would do in this situation is fly in some of my boys from way back. We’d set up a perimeter out front, say 20 feet, erect a high-grade fence, and start digging trenches. A couple lads would pile sandbags af the back entrance and position proxies near the indie longboxes (just in case).

The rest of the crew would be across the street, on the second floor above the salad restaurant, with scopes (wink).

They’d never make it to the fatal funnel. Haha. Beers on me. 

13 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Same. 

What I would do in this situation is fly in some of my boys from way back. We’d set up a perimeter out front, say 20 feet, erect a high-grade fence, and start digging trenches. A couple lads would pile sandbags af the back entrance and position proxies near the indie longboxes (just in case).

The rest of the crew would be across the street, on the second floor above the salad restaurant, with scopes (wink).

They’d never make it to the fatal funnel. Haha. Beers on me. 

You’re Del Preston, aren’t you?

image.jpeg

Edited by mattn792

Condolences to GCC on the loss, my good friend Shawn (he presided over my wedding) manages the Madison store.  I was just down to visit him at the store and I think he mentioned that he got hit recently(ish) as well, but the perps didn’t know what they were looking for, and thus it wasn’t a huge loss financially.  It could have been a different store however, as I was busy looking through back issues during the conversation. 😁

Sad times regardless.  Hope you can recoup your losses both financially and in your faith in the fellow man.

Cheers

Edited by Conali
Anecdotal addition

4 hours ago, manetteska said:

This thread brings “internet tough guys” to a whole new level. 

Agreed.  I'm always amazed at the number of people that have never had another person in their sites with a gun (let alone actually pulled the trigger), who bandy about their Dirty Harry fantasies saying "I would've been like Arnold, Sly Stallone, and Chuck Norris all rolled up in one if this happened to me."  In reality, they have no idea how they actually would have acted but sure, keep on living the fantasy.  :acclaim:  :headbang:    :screwy:

The truth is, there are very few legitimate reasons for taking another person's life.  And a few comic books aren't one of them.

2 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

Agreed.  I'm always amazed at the number of people that have never had another person in their sites with a gun (let alone actually pulled the trigger), who bandy about their Dirty Harry fantasies saying "I would've been like Arnold, Sly Stallone, and Chuck Norris all rolled up in one if this happened to me."  In reality, they have no idea how they actually would have acted but sure, keep on living the fantasy.  :acclaim:  :headbang:    :screwy:

The truth is, there are very few legitimate reasons for taking another person's life.  And a few comic books aren't one of them.

It's definitely probably way different than depicted in the movies.  I knew one guy who did an arm bar on an attacker and snapped his elbow.  He started vomiting after he did it.

11 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Is this someone going for a swim that didn't notice the pool was drained before he jumped in? No, it is not. And it's not a street-swimmer, the human equivalent of a land shark. It's a Dallas store owner, that tried, quite unsuccessfully and to his peril, to defend his store against looting that unlike many who feel they're equipped to handle a mob, also wasn't Rambo. He now lays contorted on the ground in the type of agony that he would be more blessed to pass out from than continue to endure. he will never be the same. Ever. If he survives the multiple filed-goal-like kicks and brick blows to his head, there are parts of him that will never be the same again. Not even close to being the same again. I would estimate that whatever merchandise Jamie lost, on a whole, he fared better than this Dallas man.Wouldn't you agree? Even if you are the second coming of Rambo? 

Clarity over drama.  He wasn't a store owner.  And he, Charles Shoultz, messaged out that same night:

“Hey, funny story. The guy in this video getting his azz kicked? That’s me. I had a bit of an adventure this evening trying to protect a bar I love, one that ended with me in the hospital. But I am quite alive, if a bit worse for the wear.

I felt a strong feeling that it was better to let myself meet the danger head-on rather than wait for it to come seek me out.

This was probably foolish, rather than brave, in hindsight. But it is what I thought at the time.”

Edited by Dr. Love

1 hour ago, Dr. Love said:

Clarity over drama.  He wasn't a store owner.  And he, Charles Shoultz, messaged out that same night:

“Hey, funny story. The guy in this video getting his azz kicked? That’s me. I had a bit of an adventure this evening trying to protect a bar I love, one that ended with me in the hospital. But I am quite alive, if a bit worse for the wear.

I felt a strong feeling that it was better to let myself meet the danger head-on rather than wait for it to come seek me out.

This was probably foolish, rather than brave, in hindsight. But it is what I thought at the time.”

A machete-wielding man in Dallas was brutally beaten by rioters on Saturday night after police said he was allegedly trying to "protect his neighborhood from protesters."

"The victim went to the 2200 block of N. Lamar Street (House of Blues) carrying a machete to allegedly protect his neighborhood from protesters," Dallas Police spokesperson Carlos Almeida told FOX Business. "The victim confronted protesters while holding the machete and was subsequently assaulted by the protesters. He was transported to an area hospital where he remains in stable condition. This remains an ongoing investigation."

NETFLIX, STREAMING SERVICES ANNOUNCE SUPPORT FOR BLACK LIVES MATTER AFTER GEORGE FLOYD KILLING, RIOTS

Graphic footage taken by Elijah Schaffer of Blaze TV shows the man rushing toward a few rioters with a machete. Within seconds, protesters descended on the man, hurling rocks at him, kicking him in the head and beating his face with skateboards and fists.

Schaffer said he "saw him appearing to defend a store," but could not confirm he was the owner of the store.

Witnesses, including the cameraman, are seen rushing over to help the man and one is heard yelling "Turn him over," while another cautions, "Don't touch him."

Police found the man in the Victory Park area of the city slumped over in the street with blood pouring from gashes on his head. The victim was badly injured by the stomping and kicking from the rioters, but was able to sit up and was seen holding his hand to his head before being taken away in an ambulance.

______________________________________________________________________________________

There are about 20 different accounts about the details dependent upon which one you read and believe. They range from store owner to just another bum looking for trouble, from critical condition to stable, from in a coma to awake and chatting like a teenage girl after her first date, we can't shut him up. So like with any other news reporting, theonly way to get the straight scoop is to either experience it first hand or be there taking in the whole thing. That said, what are you going to do different next time? Two machetes perhaps? Or still go it with the one machete but wear a helmet and perhaps a Kevlar athletic supporter as well? 

21 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Is this someone going for a swim that didn't notice the pool was drained before he jumped in? No, it is not. And it's not a street-swimmer, the human equivalent of a land shark. It's a Dallas store owner, that tried, quite unsuccessfully and to his peril, to defend his store against looting that unlike many who feel they're equipped to handle a mob, also wasn't Rambo. He now lays contorted on the ground in the type of agony that he would be more blessed to pass out from than continue to endure. he will never be the same. Ever. If he survives the multiple filed-goal-like kicks and brick blows to his head, there are parts of him that will never be the same again. Not even close to being the same again. I would estimate that whatever merchandise Jamie lost, on a whole, he fared better than this Dallas man.Wouldn't you agree? Even if you are the second coming of Rambo? 

7 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

There are about 20 different accounts about the details dependent upon which one you read and believe. They range from store owner to just another bum looking for trouble, from critical condition to stable, from in a coma to awake and chatting like a teenage girl after her first date, we can't shut him up. So like with any other news reporting, theonly way to get the straight scoop is to either experience it first hand or be there taking in the whole thing.

And yet, to align with your own arguments, you only reported ONE of these versions paired with an image meant to incite fear, anger, and empathy towards your own message.  I assume you also did not experience this first hand and therefore didn't get the straight scoop?

Though this may be unintentional on your part, it is indeed manipulative.  Passing off a single story (out of about 20) as truth is irresponsible at best and pushes an agenda at worst.  I, like many others, didn't spend any more time investigating your claims or checking sources (who has time to do that?).  I took your initial word as truth and now question the validity of any subsequent arguments that have been made.

8 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

A machete-wielding man in Dallas ........

I read that one time these 353 Japanese fighter planes swooped into an American property in Honolulu Hawaii and blew up a bunch of our equipment and shot a bunch of people, but that the President called for the complete evacuation of Hawaii back to the mainland.  Good thing we didn't have any ideas of  standing up to them, cuz they were really mean people. Years later the Japanese allowed some of our more famous surfers to come back over and use their waves so I guess there was a happy ending. 

No one has discussed the effectiveness of stink bombs at dispersing crowds.  I have dispersed loud outside neighbor parties by lobbing a couple over fence.  Everyone goes inside.   The art of fighting without fighting.