• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ebay buyer asking for refund/return on clearly described damage...buyers remorse

17 posts in this topic

So I put up a copy of Venom #25 2nd print wrap cover that I go on pre-order that had damage, and was clearly shown in the pictures, grade and description.  I got the book site unseen and was refunded myself for the book to be transparent on this.  The book in NM is/was going for $30-35 in NM so I just started a .99 auction thinking it would maybe get cover price. Well, lo and behold the bidders bid the book up to $22.50 which is plain crazy, and makes no sense, when there were plenty of other nice copies to be had in way better condition for the same price.  Now the buyer gets the book and is asking for a refund/return because "I was disappointed, it's more damaged than I pictured".  Huh????? Clearly buyers remorse because of lack of common sense.  Here is the pics of the book and the description I gave.  

6.0-production tear FC and BC that travels in to 1st page also resulting in wavy indents radiating from it

What would you all do in this case?  I really don't even know how to respond to this politely without being direct about not using common sense and bidding something up way past where it should have landed.  I accept returns, and even pay for return shipping, to get the little bit more of a discount on ebay but this is not a misleading description or ship damage etc.  This kind of behavior just baffles me.20200720_180922.thumb.jpg.99cb4213b134117442fad07793818096.jpg20200720_181043.thumb.jpg.d8be8c9911ebce2635424bde4cd39221.jpg20200720_181008.thumb.jpg.b07a9307b11b7d3dc22dd0b89ffc2371.jpg1586852881_venom(2018)_25_2ndWrap_6.0_fr.thumb.jpg.0667823ba3e7903982b9c80a4df1a024.jpg

Edited by gradejunky

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I would say, "pound sand", but (sadly) eBay is almost certainly going to side with the buyer.

And that is exactly how I was raised in a military setting to just be blunt, and not beat around the bush, with clowns.  That is one of my fathers favorite lines!!

12 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

i think you knew it was too good to be true and it it ended up being that way.... can't you just refund him $15.00 and be done with it ?? !!!

I've contemplated just refunding him and then blocking him as this kind of stupidity is just beyond me. 

11 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

ask him how much of a partial refund he will accept to make things good ... and if he says no,... then just refund everything and be done with him...

I think this is the way to go. I hate customer returns due to buyer's remorse, but it happens. In fact, I see auctions all the time that people apparently get caught up and go higher than a buy it now price.... Each case has to be managed individually.

1 hour ago, gradejunky said:

I've contemplated just refunding him and then blocking him as this kind of stupidity is just beyond me. 

That is what i'd recommend.  You'll waste time trying to fight it and you'll almost certainly lose.  Expecting a small percentage of returns is almost a guarantee when it comes to eBay and the wonderful buyers there along with their return policy almost always favoring the buyers.

Yea, so I just refunded him -shipping as this was clearly a "I'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person and now I want you to fix my stupidity for me" case.  His comments in the refund/return cue were even better-"damage was worse than in pictures" and reason for return "I don't like it" wahhhhhh :cry:.  I copied and pasted the grade/description and attached the pics from the original listing and asked him what was unclear about them.  I have also promptly blocked him.  Crazy thing is he has a store himself selling comics and sports cards, and bids an item up well past the logical price.  Most of the bidders jumped ship at $4-6 (the rational stopping point).  This guy and two or three other bid this up to $22.50....wtf???!!!

13 minutes ago, gradejunky said:

Yea, so I just refunded him -shipping as this was clearly a "I'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person and now I want you to fix my stupidity for me" case.  His comments in the refund/return cue were even better-"damage was worse than in pictures" and reason for return "I don't like it" wahhhhhh :cry:.  I copied and pasted the grade/description and attached the pics from the original listing and asked him what was unclear about them.  I have also promptly blocked him.  Crazy thing is he has a store himself selling comics and sports cards, and bids an item up well past the logical price.  Most of the bidders jumped ship at $4-6 (the rational stopping point).  This guy and two or three other bid this up to $22.50....wtf???!!!

:screwy:

15 hours ago, gradejunky said:

13 hours ago, gradejunky said:

Crazy thing is he has a store himself selling comics and sports cards, and bids an item up well past the logical price.

Do us all a favor and share the username so we can all put him on our block lists and avoid doing business with his store.

14 hours ago, gradejunky said:

Crazy thing is he has a store himself selling comics and sports cards

mail.gif  :ahh: :cuss:  :blowbrainsout:

see thats some  :BSFlag:

4 hours ago, Poka said:

depends how far you wish to take it. If clear from the picture and listed in the text - ebay may be siding with you....but is it worth it?

I would fight it just for the heck of it. There's a chance ebay may side with you and it would be satisfying.  And if they dont, and you would refund anyway... may make you feel better that you tried.

On 8/12/2020 at 5:54 AM, gradejunky said:

Every time i win a book and have to pay i get buyers remorse :makepoint: My book's are in the 10k range tho :ohnoez: After few days i am :whee:so on a 22.00 book not worth the trouble to return :facepalm: