• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tracking says delivered, ebay buyer open a claim for item not received

36 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, marmat said:

I also think he is telling the truth, but the point I want to make is what else I can do? Tracking says it was delivered, I will not refund him just because he says he did not receive the package. 

It's a poor situation. Hopefully it works out. :wishluck:

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

this has happened to me several times.

One awful example: I sent a book from Canada to the USA that was insured, required signature and was tracked.

Tracking said "delivered and signed for"  but my buyer never got it. He was a repeat buyer of several books so I believed him. Refunded his money. Couldnt claim insurance as the book was "delivered" so the end result is I am out a $400 book.

Always put in a claim and let the postal service do an investigation. I had the exact same situation where parcel shows delivered in the system (USA address) but buyer claims nothing showed up. Full refund on insurance amount plus shipping cost from Canada post was issued to me a few days later. 

You should be covered, but you may have to be diligent. If they side against you (not sure how they could, but eBay tends to punish sellers and believe all buyers) be sure to appeal it. A few months ago I had a buyer receive a toy, which she then broke. She wanted to return it to me, even though she admitted that it had arrived as described and SHE had been the one to break it. I refused, she opened a case, and eBay sided with her. It was only $30, but I was livid. I appealed the decision through eBay, and they immediately reversed it and found in my favor. Buyer didn't get her money back, and I didn't lose the money I'd been paid. 

Hope it works out well for you. Very frustrating. I've sold on eBay for 25 years, but I'm about to give up on it, as the user base has gotten dumber and/or shadier, and eBay fails to police them properly.

Edited by F For Fake

1 hour ago, Lobo1969 said:

Always put in a claim and let the postal service do an investigation. I had the exact same situation where parcel shows delivered in the system (USA address) but buyer claims nothing showed up. Full refund on insurance amount plus shipping cost from Canada post was issued to me a few days later. 

I was not allowed to file a claim.

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

Better question: Why would somebody living in Spain and sending a package to the UK give the slightest :censored: about the USPS?

I missed that it was sent from Spain to the UK. I assumed US to the UK. What I stated about signature services holds true for USPS, the United States to the UK. Here's my statement on that again, for fact checking and the rebuttal that will most assuredly follow: 

"Tracking to the UK will not show to whom the parcel was delivered. Same as domestic parcel tracking here. A signature service must be used to confirm a specific person received the parcel, same as state to state shipping. For Int. shipments, that means only registered or Global Express, signature required, are the means to guarantee that a specific person and not just a specific location received the parcel". 

As far as Spain to the UK shipping goes, having never received nor posted parcels in Spain or in the UK, I have no idea as to the intricacies of it and thus couldn't  :censored:  care less about Royal or Spanish post's tracking policies and practices.  

49 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

"Tracking to the UK will not show to whom the parcel was delivered. Same as domestic parcel tracking here. A signature service must be used to confirm a specific person received the parcel, same as state to state shipping. For Int. shipments, that means only registered or Global Express, signature required, are the means to guarantee that a specific person and not just a specific location received the parcel".

I always go with international signed for as a minimum for transatlantic or other international destinations. However this always limits what you're prepared to sell due to the expense. Worth it if you're not a volume and more of a high-ticket seller, but then there are ebay sellers out there (like our own Place In Space) who have phenomenal feedback and presumably accept that the occasional bad transaction will happen.

Edited by goldust40

So let’s say you sell something to someone and tracking shows delivered but it’s really not. I’m not talking about a scam, but a legit screw up.  When this happens ebay will side with the buyerbif there wasn’t  a signature to confirm the delivery. 
I know because it happened to me as the buyer. I went to the PO and spoke with the driver about the missing package but nothing came from it so I had to report the issue to ebay and I got a refund

About 4 months ago, I sold  a Spawn Newsstand and it just disappeared.  The only difference was that the USPS tracking showed that it was permanently stuck in Chicago.    After 3 weeks, I just refunded the buyer and ate the costs.

Surprisingly, 5 weeks later, it arrived.  The buyer reached out to me and paypaled me the amount... it was overall a really good transaction.

I do think there have been a lot of issues with USPS recently esp with the threat of it getting disbanded.

12 minutes ago, oldbsturgeon said:

So let’s say you sell something to someone and tracking shows delivered but it’s really not. I’m not talking about a scam, but a legit screw up.  When this happens ebay will side with the buyerbif there wasn’t  a signature to confirm the delivery. 
I know because it happened to me as the buyer. I went to the PO and spoke with the driver about the missing package but nothing came from it so I had to report the issue to ebay and I got a refund

Yes. Push comes to shove, even if tracking shows delivered, if signature service wasn't used, no signature obtained when delivered, it can be argued thatit was never received by the addressee. And here's another wrinkle. Even when using signature service, paying for the extra service, either registered or some other service that requires a recipient's signature upon delivery, in some areas, the carrier has the option to sign for it if nobody is home! So nothing with USPS is completely foolproof. As it's possble for a carrier to sign for a parcel, leave it on a doorstep and minutes after he leaves someone who was watching him comes and takes it, or even a case where the recipient did receive it but knowing how to play the USPS/ebay/Paypal angles, claims he "never received it; who in the heck signed for it because I certainly didn't". 

34 minutes ago, MatterEaterLad said:

What's the buyer's eBay name?

This exact thing happened to me a few months ago.

Of course it did. It happens to more sellers than anyone who sells or is thinking of selling on ebay would care to think. It's a recurring theme. The ebay and paypal s**ks websites detail countless tales of this very thing occurring, typiclly with the same result, the seller losing out. 

On 8/12/2020 at 6:21 PM, Wolverinex said:

About 4 months ago, I sold  a Spawn Newsstand and it just disappeared.  The only difference was that the USPS tracking showed that it was permanently stuck in Chicago.    After 3 weeks, I just refunded the buyer and ate the costs.

Surprisingly, 5 weeks later, it arrived.  The buyer reached out to me and paypaled me the amount... it was overall a really good transaction.

I do think there have been a lot of issues with USPS recently esp with the threat of it getting disbanded.

That is the kinda buyer you want to deal with right there!