• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tracking says delivered, ebay buyer open a claim for item not received

36 posts in this topic

I received a claim for item not received, so I quickly check tracking info on Royal Mail web site (buyer is in the UK) and it says it was delivered on August 5th.

Buyer message (copy and paste):

According to the Post Office this item was delivered but it has NOT!! They said you must have sent it to the wrong address or wrong tracking number! Please advise what address you sent it to?

My answer (copy and paste):

Hi, tracking says it was delivered on August 5th, I checked the address and it was shipped at the right address, the one that appears on ebay and paypal. checked google maps and it confirms the location.

Buyer new message (again, copy and paste, not my words):

I paid for this comic and expect you to deliver it. It hasn't been delivered so it was up to you to make sure it was delivered safely. I will let Ebay sort it out in due time and if no comic then full refund.

I specially dislike his last message, seems rude to me.

Anyway, let's see what ebay says.

2 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I don't like the last message, either, but eBay is probably going to bend you over. Hopefully it's small change. :wishluck:

I understand that if tracking confirms delivery, I am covered.

Item was $120, so not requested for signature confirmation.

3 minutes ago, marmat said:

I hope so, but my faith in eBay withers day-by-day. They are increasingly pro-buyer. It's frustrating sometimes.

The laws vary for the United States but if you printed your label through eBay / PayPal then eBay PayPal usually takes the funds from you to compensate the buyer and then after you file a claim under seller protection, you get reimbursed.  This has not happened to me in a couple of years so unless anything has changed here in the states... that's the way it is. 

However, like I said, it might be different for other nations. 

New messages

me:

I understand your frustration but it was shipped to the correct address and tracking says it was delivered. Best

Buyer:

I will let Ebay step in and sort this out! You failed to make sure you used an adequate postal service. Best

Me:

Package was handled in the UK by Royal Mail, the adequate postal service. Please, submit your request to ebay and let them decide.

Buyer:

Don't worry I will! Needless to say I won't be purchasing from Spain again!

Me:

Please, contact ebay.

Recently I had a situation with a Facebook sale.  I am not going to screen cap it since by the end of the transaction I believe the buyer was acting in good faith and we fixed it. 

He immediately paid for a $15 Lego set.   As soon as he paid he asked me to ship it to a different address than the one that PayPal would ask me to ship it to.   It told him that I would not and his choices were a refund less PayPal fees to which he could buy the item again OR I ship the item out to the address as registered with the sale.  He chose for a refund less fees. 

To my surprise, he actually fixed the address and paid for the item again to which it was shipped out.

My "scam alert sense" immediately went up at the beginning because it seems to be a common scam to say, "I didn't get the package, you must have printed the label out wrong or used a bad service."  The buyer that is trying to scam someone has nothing to lose in this case.   If they are successful then they get the item for free.  If they lose out, then at the worst case they paid for what they got and can sell it later.   Ten years ago when I joined, I was obstinate and thought I knew it all.  I used to just handprint the labels until another board member beat it into me to always print labels directly from eBay or PayPal... 

They were definitely right for me to do that as it has saved my rear end numerous times. 

Either way, hope it works out and hope all is well. 

Edited by Buzzetta

2 hours ago, marmat said:

How can USPS International delivery be confirmed to a specific recipient in merry old England unless sent via 1st class/priority registered or Global express (marked signature required option) mail? 

Edited by James J Johnson

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

Just got home... I took a screen shot of something that might help you.  Go to your feedback page if you have not left feedback already and go to "report the buyer" or in the dispute page.

There is a specific option for "buyer made a false claim" and then claimed an item was not received when tracking shows it was delivered. 

Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 1.51.43 PM.png

Tracking to the UK will not show to whom the parcel was delivered. Same as domestic parcel tracking here. A signature service must be used to confirm a specific person received the parcel, same as state to state shipping. For Int. shipments, that means only registered or Global Express, signature required, are the means to guarantee that a specific person and not just a specific location received the parcel. 

this has happened to me several times.

One awful example: I sent a book from Canada to the USA that was insured, required signature and was tracked.

Tracking said "delivered and signed for"  but my buyer never got it. He was a repeat buyer of several books so I believed him. Refunded his money. Couldnt claim insurance as the book was "delivered" so the end result is I am out a $400 book.

56 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

How can USPS International delivery be confirmed to a specific recipient in merry old England unless sent via 1st class/priority registered or Global express (marked signature required option) mail? 

Better question: Why would somebody living in Spain and sending a package to the UK give the slightest :censored: about the USPS?

3 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Better question: Why would somebody living in Spain and sending a package to the UK give the slightest :censored: about the USPS?

lol you are right, I live in Spain. I used the spanish postal service and it wa delivered by Royal Mail. 

Anyway, I reported the buyer as suggested by @Buzzetta (thank you for the info), let's see what ebay has to say. 

28 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

He could be telling the truth.... I've have had a few things stolen on my front porch in the past.  That being said He is pretty rude.  I would probably directly call Ebay and get their advice.  Good luck

I also think he is telling the truth, but the point I want to make is what else I can do? Tracking says it was delivered, I will not refund him just because he says he did not receive the package. 

Edited by marmat

Agreed, that the USPS shouldn't be involved with this one.

With that said, over the last decade I have had at least 5 packages which were shown delivered by USPS but did not arrive until one or two days later.  I'm pretty sure the post office got rid of the one driver who did that on the regular when they were running behind, but I normally give the package an extra day or two to show before I hit the panic button... tracking is far less reliable, in my experience, than it should be.