• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

saving damp framed artwork

3 posts in this topic

An inner wall water pipe broke and has been leaking into the wall and ceiling above where I had some framed artwork hanging. We just noticed this morning and the room is already smelling really damp. We do have the room airing out and have removed the artwork from the wall. But it seems the backing paper feels damp. Worse, the artwork is the thick stock Dave Sim uses and this was a double page. It is looking like the page is already bowing in the middle. What can I safely do to make sure this does not get ruined? I imagine using a hair dryer on the back would not be a good idea...

Any suggestions?   

I am not  an expert, or particularly knowledgeable, although something similar happened to me. One of my concerns would be that it dries out distorted. I would probably place each one under a large flat object, being careful not to let the ink get smudged during drying, probably below and above a “breathable” cloth. Then, save some money for the restorer. 
Isn’t there some type of drying powder which can be sprinkled on the ink to prevent smudging?

NOT AN EXPERT !!!

I can only say what I did in my particular situation.  I had received a commission and opened the package.  I failed to remove the art from the package and put the whole thing in with the rest of my cardboard recycling.  I went to my town's recycling facility on Saturday near closing time.  It was only later that I realized that the art I couldn't find must still be in with the packaging.  It rained the next day.  The recycling facility would be open on the following Tuesday.  Anyway, so on Tuesday, I was there right when it opened.  I was able to find the art within minutes because it was very close to the top of the heap.  It was wet/damp but not soaked.  I put the art between a folded towel and used a clothes iron at a medium setting (NO STEAM) to get the moisture out and absorbed by the towel.  After a while, I kept it flat with another towel.  Turned out OK.

Related to another piece I once owned (read 1st paragraph):

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/472358-what-turns-you-off-on-a-piece/?tab=comments#comment-11293392

So... not sure how thick of a board you're referencing.  Depending on the thickness and how wet it is, you may or may not consider peeling off one of the plys from the back side so that it's easier for the art side to dry out.  And as I mentioned in that topic, 1 ply of the Strathmore was peeled off years after the piece had dried out and was already severely rippled.

AGAIN, NOT AN EXPERT !!!

Good luck !!!