• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man #33 - is this a known warehouse book?
4 4

47 posts in this topic

On 9/4/2020 at 11:13 PM, jimjum12 said:

The story goes that around here, Northern Virginia to be exact, a prominent dealer walked into a show with an unopened bundle of Hulk 1 .... normally this would go in the "grain of salt" file... but the story came from someone who has never lied to me, and the dealer in question certainly had the means to unearth something like that. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I would like nothing more than for the market to be flooded with a ton of Hulk #1.

On 9/3/2020 at 2:25 AM, Lazyboy said:

Then maybe "everyone" shouldn't post stupid things that suggest they have no idea what they're talking about (and no, not everybody knows). :eyeroll:

I just saw your posts in the Hulk 181 thread, which show that you actually do know what a warehouse book is, but I never would have guessed that from your posts in this thread. Your posts in this thread paint you as one of the clueless newbs who recently became involved with comics because they're hot.

Posting like you're an insufficiently_thoughtful_person will likely make people assume you're an insufficiently_thoughtful_person, whether it's true or not. If you're intelligent and knowledgeable, show it. Some people will dislike you for it, but it's worth it.

What does "known supply" mean? We have rough estimates of how many copies of many issues were both printed and distributed. We know that while copies distributed is generally supposed to be the cap for extant copies, it actually isn't. But nobody can actually know the number of extant copies of the vast majority of issues.

The often-false perceptions that some people have do affect how they value things, but available, visible supply does matter if you want to buy something right now.

What a tedious, miserable comment. Looks like you need a good warehouse find.

Edited by kustomizer
typo

On 8/12/2020 at 5:44 PM, valiantman said:

I'm studying the CGC Census data (on my site, CGCdata.com) and I can't help notice that Amazing Spider-Man #33 doesn't match the "normal pattern" of the other books in the first 50 issues of ASM.

I know it's a popular issue, and it has been submitted 50% more times than #32 and #34 on either side of it, but the AVERAGE grade for #33 is HIGHER than #32 and #34, even though more copies have been graded.  That doesn't normally happen. 

The more copies graded, the lower the average grade (in general, for books that are very similar), so there's something happening specifically with #33 to have higher grade copies than should be expected. 

Does anyone know if this particular book was a "warehouse book" (more copies saved than normal, or purposefully stockpiled in high grade)?

EDIT:  I just found some references to ASM #33 in the "Mile High II Collection" (warehouse books), so I guess I answered my own question - but I wouldn't mind seeing some scans of the Mile High documents or further discussion since there are now 20+ years of CGC submissions.

I know this is a late comment, but I think I know what's going on. 

In the 80s, the Koch Brothers in Brooklyn NY were selling a big bunch of "new old stock" books: uncirculated books they bought from another warehouse or comic book store. One of those books was ASM #33. They ran a regular big advert in the Comic Buyer's Guide, so a lot of those issues were bought by real collectors. I bought one at the time. Other issues they had that stand out in my mind are DD 19 & JIM 124. I suspect that a large number of the high graded books for these originate from this source. Joseph Koch still has the warehouse in Brooklyn - I last visited in 2013. The prices weren't as good as I remembered!

Here’s a shot of 50 copies of Eternals 1 variant. And 200 copies of Howard the Duck 5.  Not warehouse but an over order that wasn’t sent back as was standard. 
High demand just absorbs multiples.  Can’t giveaway the HOD5.  

3D57DB66-F334-4243-BF5C-12F6E66A3376.thumb.jpeg.00f349d1895fd1b10a28e758f0905b77.jpeg02B2F8C8-A5BB-4131-8D00-4B8B0B862F37.thumb.jpeg.fc2a493cda41c1139af75e7f0a4a506f.jpeg

59 minutes ago, ft88 said:

Here’s a shot of 50 copies of Eternals 1 variant. And 200 copies of Howard the Duck 5.  Not warehouse but an over order that wasn’t sent back as was standard. 
High demand just absorbs multiples.  Can’t giveaway the HOD5.  

3D57DB66-F334-4243-BF5C-12F6E66A3376.thumb.jpeg.00f349d1895fd1b10a28e758f0905b77.jpeg

Those Eternals #1 seem to be the answer to the question "Will people pay 5 cents more for a title they've never heard of?" and the answer, apparently, was "no".

Edited by valiantman