• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So much for the "CBCS has tougher grading for 9.8..."
1 1

108 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, supacor said:

over 2 dozen posts and no one has anything to say about the risks of cracking a 9.8 to get signed? 

Yep. Wanted to say something to this effect.  Haven't there been lots of posts about cracked books subbed for sigs coming back lower? In some instances much lower then .2 points if I recall. CGC says...?

6 minutes ago, H0RR0RSH0W said:

Yep. Wanted to say something to this effect.  Haven't there been lots of posts about cracked books subbed for sigs coming back lower? In some instances much lower then .2 points if I recall. CGC says...?

-bc

24 minutes ago, H0RR0RSH0W said:

Mostly when certain signers got a hold of the books.  I seem to remember that Stan Lee and a few of the senior generation just grabbed and signed.   Stan's facilitators and teams were not known to be as easy on the books either. 

13 hours ago, supacor said:

over 2 dozen posts and no one has anything to say about the risks of cracking a 9.8 to get signed? 

I finally wrote that long due post. This has nothing to do with CBCS vs CGC, it's all about people not knowing the risks. It takes almost nothing for a 9.8 to be a 9.6 and yet people send them out for someone else to crack a slab, pull out a book from a sealed sleeve, put it in a window box and pass it around for someone to pres a pen on. 

Well aware of the risks.  Also aware that most of the time u can't tell the difference between a 9.8 and a 9.6.   My thing was a few have commented that cbcs has higher standards for a 9.8 than cgc has.  Otherwise would have paid a little more for a cgc copy.  Live and learn.  Im sure that wont be the last time it happens to me.  

2 minutes ago, god503 said:

Well aware of the risks.  Also aware that most of the time u can't tell the difference between a 9.8 and a 9.6.   My thing was a few have commented that cbcs has higher standards for a 9.8 than cgc has.  Otherwise would have paid a little more for a cgc copy.  Live and learn.  Im sure that wont be the last time it happens to me.  

This incident is in no way an indicator of whether or not CBCS has higher standards since you forfeited those standards when you cracked the case for a signing. No way to know how this book would have faired if it was initially sent to CGC instead of CBCS. Paying more for CGC could have resulted in the same loss of grade (and thus loss of more money)

Your case tells us more what can happen during a signing, not which company grades tougher.

14 hours ago, supacor said:

My bad....sent a UCX 266 9.8 already signed by Andy Kubert to the Claremont signing....took a gamble...came back 9.8. Just figured that Kubert sig alone wasn't as appealing as Claremont or both

Edited by Hollywood1892

55 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

I finally wrote that long due post. This has nothing to do with CBCS vs CGC, it's all about people not knowing the risks. It takes almost nothing for a 9.8 to be a 9.6 and yet people send them out for someone else to crack a slab, pull out a book from a sealed sleeve, put it in a window box and pass it around for someone to pres a pen on. 

Yeah

Was thinking of sending my teen titans 44 9.8 to have Perez sign it, but decided against it

19 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

This incident is in no way an indicator of whether or not CBCS has higher standards since you forfeited those standards when you cracked the case for a signing. No way to know how this book would have faired if it was initially sent to CGC instead of CBCS. Paying more for CGC could have resulted in the same loss of grade (and thus loss of more money)

Your case tells us more what can happen during a signing, not which company grades tougher.

Yet many on here have commented cbcs has higher standards.  Just throwing cold water on that assumption