• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So much for the "CBCS has tougher grading for 9.8..."
1 1

108 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Besides the additional potential grade reducing handling done during the signing, pressing, and grading processes, grading is not a science and very subjective.  hm

Unless humans and their subjective opinions are eliminated from the equation because androids are objectively assessing grades. :idea: 

Conversely, at times it appears that they've taken the opposite approach, moving in the opposite direction of objectivity at the garage headquarters of #3, the grades assessed by spinning the wheel of misfortune, IMO. :eek:

Edited by James J Johnson

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

This was a really good thread

Whether a 9.9 sold for 11k or 12k it is still a wack of $$$$

If I'm spending $10K or more for a 9.9 of a common book, the absolute last thing I would want to see on it is names scrawled across it in marker regardless of who wrote on it.  And that coming from an autograph collector! 

1 hour ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Wish I owned that 9.9 

Was just crossing my fingers that the OP  gets a 9.9 after another signature and press.

LOL  from your lips to gods ears....

17 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

If I'm spending $10K or more for a 9.9 of a common book, the absolute last thing I would want to see on it is names scrawled across it in marker regardless of who wrote on it.  And that coming from an autograph collector! 

Yeah

I agree

If I'm spending 10k on a book I def don't want a sig series.....maybe Stan Lee and John Romita....maybe

23 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Yeah

I agree

If I'm spending 10k on a book I def don't want a sig series.....maybe Stan Lee and John Romita....maybe

I would take a sig series if it had a 9.9.  I just wont resubmit to add sigs.  would never risk a 9.9 or 10 for that.

eee.jpg.cf052192f5f3760846803bbe8fc07480.jpg

WOULD LOVE TO BRING THIS ONE HOME.  MAYBE IF THEY PASS ANOTHER STIMULUS....

20 hours ago, god503 said:

just got bit by the 9.8 to 9.6.bug.   A cbcs 9.8 New mutants 98 sent in for Claremont is coming back a 9.6!!!!  Too many people commenting how they have tougher 9.8 criteria than CGC.  :blahblah:

Possibly they do have tougher 9.8 criteria.  CGC slab below just sold on Heritage.  Notice the giant crease right side of cover that was obviously pressed?  Looks terrible on the edge too.  What grade would you give it?  Certainly not a 9.8!

955840350_lf(1).thumb.jpg.4eb5ebcafd514ddc355991b5ed85f904.jpg

Edited by SuperZar

3 minutes ago, SuperZar said:

Possibly they do have tougher 9.8 criteria.  CGC slab below just sold on Heritage.  Notice the giant crease right side of cover that was obviously pressed?  Looks terrible on the edge too.  What grade would you give it?  Certainly not a 9.8!

lf-1.jpg

why not if there is no color break?

Edited by god503

19 hours ago, supacor said:

over 2 dozen posts and no one has anything to say about the risks of cracking a 9.8 to get signed? 

I've sent in a bunch of Bronze 9.8s to be signed. They've all come back 9.8. 

For this most recent CGC signing event, I sent in a Purple 9.6. Had it pressed. It came back Blue 9.6. They must have pressed out the resto... hm

41 minutes ago, MatterEaterLad said:

For this most recent CGC signing event, I sent in a Purple 9.6. Had it pressed. It came back Blue 9.6. They must have pressed out the resto... hm

Pics or it didn’t happen...

2 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:
3 hours ago, The_Helpful_One said:

This was a really good thread

Whether a 9.9 sold for 11k or 12k it is still a wack of $$$$

Does any boardie here have any idea as to whatever became of our good old economics prof, Boston Corbett, who was so intent on schooling all of us on the merits of paying over $12K for a CGC 9.9 graded copy of NM 98?  lol

I assume there's zero chance his copy was the one that was upgraded to CGC 10.0 or else he would still be on these boards lecturing us to death :blahblah:  :blahblah:, instead of slinking away as his copy dropped in value by half for the next several years.  :insane:

31 minutes ago, MatterEaterLad said:

I haven't got the book back yet. 

A friend jokingly suggested that perhaps Miller signed his swooshy signature right over the color touch. I suppose it's possible.

That seems the most likely scenario....

1 hour ago, MatterEaterLad said:

I haven't got the book back yet. 

A friend jokingly suggested that perhaps Miller signed his swooshy signature right over the color touch. I suppose it's possible.

big score!

18 hours ago, god503 said:

yes  

That might be the problem I know CGC board might not like this but I’ve had mixed results with CCS I think they are way to busy and depending on the pressing they don’t have the time or rss to press books to a high end standard it’s a basic press and I’ve had some bad presses but that’s also the risk with pressing sometimes mess can happen when pressing. Just my thoughts and experiences.. 

15 hours ago, MatterEaterLad said:

I've sent in a bunch of Bronze 9.8s to be signed. They've all come back 9.8. 

Or did u pick one of the character labels?

Edited by Krismusic

1 hour ago, Krismusic said:

That might be the problem I know CGC board might not like this but I’ve had mixed results with CCS I think they are way to busy and depending on the pressing they don’t have the time or rss to press books to a high end standard it’s a basic press and I’ve had some bad presses but that’s also the risk with pressing sometimes mess can happen when pressing. Just my thoughts and experiences.. 

I agree