• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fixing rubbing/scuffs on these magazine covers

6 posts in this topic

Very sorry if this isn't the right area to ask this in. I've started collecting Heavy Metal Magazine this year and have picked up a few lots. I've noticed a tendency for the covers to have some ink rubbing or scuffing of some kind and am curious as to how I could (carefully) correct these at home. I am not planning to submit anything in particular for grading just yet.

These first two show colored scuffs (1st in the logo, 2nd on the character). I'm assuming these are from issues being stacked on top?

20200813_162007.thumb.jpg.851f6d9c2d374fa5f20c4659c216a2fd.jpg

20200813_162050.thumb.jpg.aa45cd4df4ea772fd096896454417066.jpg

This third one shows white scuffing on the logo. I'm concerned this is from ink being removed and can't be fixed, but correct me if I'm wrong!

20200813_162110.thumb.jpg.b4f0f2c302229730f8e1a24857070779.jpg

Thank you!

Edited by Heavy-ish Metal

Most of it will not come off (especially the transfer in other areas with colored ink). You may be able to clean off some of the lighter stuff in the white areas, but please don't use a magic eraser. You will need a very steady hand, lots of patience and a good eraser made from a non-abrasive material. Staedtler makes a good eraser that. Keep in mind any color loss will result in the book being worth considerably less, in fact, CGC is not that harsh on ink transfer, but they will kill a book due to color loss from improper erasing.  

Another option is sending it out to a professional.