• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB - Carol Day's from Lance Hallam
1 1

17 posts in this topic

A quick note of thanks to those that responded to me off-line about having Carol Day examples from the Lance Hallam storyline.

I've had the chance to acquire a few, now know where some others are and have gotten some leads to other folks that will hopefully result in un-earthing more.

Having said all of that, I remain interested in acquiring any and all examples from this storyline. If you have one, I'd love to hear from you!

Save some for other folks xD.  When I saw your original post I'd remembered that someone had a great collection of early Carol Day strips on CAF, but then after checking I realized they were all yours!

Kudos on putting together the collection you already have.  I've been hoping to find one or two early ones with interesting atmosphere (be it architecture, automobiles, lighting, etc.) and/or of Carol smoking, and I'm very envious of the examples you've managed to find.   

Edited by ShallowDan
Added a silly emoji to emphasize the fact that the “save some for other folks” part of post was said in jest.

For God's sake, there are almost no complete Carol Day stories left (I think there may be one in a museum).  If he manages to bring this together, that's historically significant for David Wright's legacy, future fans of this art form won't just have a few scattered isolated strips.  Let's encourage this effort, instead of complaining about it.  It's not as there are no other storylines from which you can get examples.

To the OP, best of luck, you'll need it.  I wish there were more efforts like this.  I wish more people got it.

I hoped that with everything that followed, it was obvious that the “save some for other folks” was said in jest, but just to clarify, it was ummm, said in jest. 

As I said, I’d remembered someone having some great examples from the story in question and the OP’s post inspired me to look them up in the off-chance it might be of interest to the OP. I then realized that it was in fact the OP himself with the collection I was thinking of. 

So once again, congrats on assembling the parts of the story you have. And good luck with the search. It’s tough enough trying to put together a 22-26 page book. I can’t imagine trying to track down a 120-150 strip story. 

Edited by ShallowDan
correcting typo

Hey ShallowDan & Taylor G - thanks for the commentary, the clarification and the support. This will not be an easy task, for sure - and, I think I'm appropriately realistic about the odds of putting it together in my lifetime. I've already had dialogue with collectors in two other countries...and I'm sure examples for the story are more scattered than that! But, in my mind, it's certainly a task worth undertaking and I've already had the great side benefit of our hobby come into play during this initial part of the search - meeting other collectors! I plan to do my best and see where the chips fall. I'm actually waiting for a delivery today of an example that resulted from this posting, so making some progress! You'll see what I find in my gallery as I find them.

Following up on my previous posts, I've set up a separate Carol Day - Lance Hallam gallery on my CAF page; four recent additions have been added in the last few days for anyone who would like to see them. I won't update this post every time I add one, but will certainly let folks know when a few have been added. Images of 28 of the 84 strips necessary to complete the story now sit in that gallery. Thanks to all that have contributed and are contributing to the quest! Gallery link is below - 

https://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=165437

Needless to say, looking for any and all examples from the Lance Hallam storyline from Carol Day!

Just a short note to report on progress while also continuing to solicit Carol Day strips from the Lance Hallam storyline. 

The help from fellow collectors in tracking down strips has been extraordinary! And, as importantly, so many collectors have graciously agreed to part with some great Lance Hallam examples as part of my quest. 

As of this writing, there are now 44 of the 84 strips that comprise Lance Hallam in this gallery http://cafurl.com?i=25345 ! And, spoiler alert, there is a 45th one being mailed to me on Monday. After starting with 24 of them, I'm thrilled with the progress - and even more thrilled with all of the help and encouragement I've received. Thanks to all who have responded to this topic.

I know I've said it before, but it certainly bears repeating - any and all help in identifying the location of Carol Day dailies from the Lance Hallam storyline would be GREATLY appreciated! 

God luck with the quest, Chis.  Declaring an interest in putting a strip together is not without drawbacks.  During the course of the past ten years or so I've been trying to put back together two UK strips from 1965.  While I've been successful with two other collectors who were happy to help out, a third guy who lives n Spain wants something like 10 x FMV in trade for the one example he owns.  I don't have a problem going in with a higher number, but self respect prevents me from giving in to extortion!  Thankfully the positives outweigh the negatives, so I think making quests public yields better results!

Congrats, Chris!  Each one is progress.

8 hours ago, The Voord said:

God luck with the quest, Chis.  Declaring an interest in putting a strip together is not without drawbacks.  During the course of the past ten years or so I've been trying to put back together two UK strips from 1965.  While I've been successful with two other collectors who were happy to help out, a third guy who lives n Spain wants something like 10 x FMV in trade for the one example he owns.  I don't have a problem going in with a higher number, but self respect prevents me from giving in to extortion!  Thankfully the positives outweigh the negatives, so I think making quests public yields better results!

No problem if you'd rather not show your hand, but do you mind if I ask what series you're trying to reassemble?  I'm not exceptionally well acquainted with British strips.and was curious if it's a Jeff Hawke story-line or something else.

9 hours ago, ShallowDan said:

No problem if you'd rather not show your hand, but do you mind if I ask what series you're trying to reassemble?  I'm not exceptionally well acquainted with British strips.and was curious if it's a Jeff Hawke story-line or something else.

Oh, sure, not a problem.  The particular story I'm being held hostage on by a Spanish collector is this one, in which I own 32 pages out of a 48 page total:

https://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=109670

The other 1965 serial is this one, in which I own 11 pages out of a 18 page total:

https://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=109671

Coincidentally, seeing that you mention it, there is a Jeff Hawke serial I've been putting back together in part, but only looking to assemble 18 representative examples out of something like a 77 daily total.  I'm now at 14 strips on that idea:

https://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=181724

Edited by The Voord

Hey The Voord and ShallowDan - I've been so busy tracking down Lance Hallam strips that I've not been back to update this post in way too long! 

I just posted three brand new additions to my Lance Hallam gallery this evening, which you can see at http://cafurl.com?i=25345 - that brings the tally to 57 of the 84 strips necessary to complete the story. And, another collector agreed just tonight to part with another of their Hallam examples - that will be 58 once I receive and post.

On a somewhat related note, The Voord - I understand your comment about there being some potential drawbacks in going public with such a search. But, I have to say, I have received nothing but positive support, feedback and assistance from collectors all over the world at this stage of my search. I'm sure the odds are that I'm going to run into a difficult situation, but for the moment I've been humbled by the enthusiastic outpouring of help in tracking down Hallam examples. 

Sure hope it stays that way! :bigsmile:

10 hours ago, Chris K. said:

Hey The Voord and ShallowDan - I've been so busy tracking down Lance Hallam strips that I've not been back to update this post in way too long! 

I just posted three brand new additions to my Lance Hallam gallery this evening, which you can see at http://cafurl.com?i=25345 - that brings the tally to 57 of the 84 strips necessary to complete the story. And, another collector agreed just tonight to part with another of their Hallam examples - that will be 58 once I receive and post.

On a somewhat related note, The Voord - I understand your comment about there being some potential drawbacks in going public with such a search. But, I have to say, I have received nothing but positive support, feedback and assistance from collectors all over the world at this stage of my search. I'm sure the odds are that I'm going to run into a difficult situation, but for the moment I've been humbled by the enthusiastic outpouring of help in tracking down Hallam examples. 

Sure hope it stays that way! :bigsmile:

I'm a sucker for happy endings, so it's great to see that you've made such progress with the search.  The new ones are fantastic: #136 in particular has long been a favorite:

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1677851

I love Wright's knack for rendering automobiles.  This one has that, the dynamic overhead shot in the third panel, and the great flirtatious banter.  

Well, I said there would be some additional announcements...and I meant it.

I'm now up to 62 of the 84 strips I need to complete the project...and I just launched a project website with Roger Clark & Guy Mills at www.carol-day.com. I'd love to hear what folks think of it; the announcement can be seen here - https://www.comicartfans.com/article.asp?NID=9063

I've also started running a banner ad on CAF (thanks to Bill Cox for all of his help, in case he's reading this). 

Hope everyone is staying safe & healthy! 

As always, if anyone has strips from Lance Hallam or knows someone who might, I'd love to hear about it!

It's been some time since I updated this WTB; attaching a link to the most recent Comic Art Fans news announcement regarding the Lance Hallam project. At the request of collectors, we've made some really nice additions to the website - click the link here for more details: https://www.comicartfans.com/article.asp?NID=9284

As always. if anyone has strips from Lance Hallam or knows someone who might, I'd love to hear about it!

Lance Hallam Project – Major Milestone of 70 Strips Achieved!

The Lance Hallam Project team recently procured the 70th of 84 total daily strips necessary to complete the Lance Hallam storyline from Carol Day. 

Project momentum remains strong as collectors from around the globe continue to assist the Project team with identifying strip locations. We’ve got line of sight on 8 of the remaining 14 strips necessary to pull the complete story together…and 4 more have been seen in the public domain via electronic auction sites (or, in one case, an actual auction house – Millon in France). That leaves just two strips that need to be unearthed to pull the majestic example of serial storytelling that Lance Hallam represents back together in its original form!

With the procurement of the 70th strip, the team will be making a broad advertising push to request help in locating remaining strips, with a particular focus on the European collecting community. In the coming days & weeks, you’ll see announcements, articles and columns on 2D Galleries, Down the Tubes, Comic Art Fans, the CGC message boards…and more.

We want to thank those who have contributed art to the project and those who have helped with networking within our collecting community to find art. We’ve done our best to honor those who have contributed (see this announcement’s pictures below for the thank you gift we created – and see our Contributor page on www.carol-day.com for selfies of contributors showing off their gift; if you’re a contributor and have not sent yours, now is the time!).

We’re getting close – and we’ve got some further ideas coming on incentivizing folks to both contribute art and help find it; more to come on that. 

As always, if you have any Carol Day examples from the Lance Hallam storyline, or just know someone who might, you can reach out to Chris Killackey at ckillack@gmail.com.

You can visit Chris' Carol Day gallery at: http://cafurl.com?i=25345

mug1.jpgPicture1.jpg

Edited by Chris K.