• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a legit STAN LEE sig?

8 posts in this topic

Fake. 

Stan's sig changed a lot in the last few years of his life when he was doing a lot of signing, making identifying real unwitnessed sigs difficult. But the letter construction and slant in the pictured example are all wrong. Unless it was CGC witnessed, or it comes with a Stan Lee hologram sticker, it's most likely fake. 

If it was bought off eBay for super cheap, then it's definitely fake.

Edited by eee91

100% fake. 

Here - this is Turtlegirl1999's eBay sales for the last three months. Notice anything suspicious?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=91436&_fss=1&_fsradio=%26LH_SpecificSeller%3D1&_saslop=1&_sasl=turtlecrazygirl1999&_sop=12&_dmd=1&LH_Complete=1&_fosrp=1&_ipg=100&rt=nc

Almost like the dealer has a never-ending supply of cheap Stan Lee signed comics on low-grade comics. Almost as if they're constantly churning out new fakes.

MBDando - contact the seller and get your money back ASAP.

Honestly, "verifying" Stan Lee signatures without any provenance is voodoo science. His is the worst type of signature for authentication because 1) it varied wildly during his life, so comparison to known-good exemplars is futile and 2) known forgeries, some with forged provenance, are commonplace. I've seen known bad Stan Lees that are pretty solid matches to at least certain of his known good signatures. I don't collect signed books, but I'd never even consider a Stan Lee signature that wasn't witnessed. There are plenty out there.

If this is from that eBay seller linked above, though, I wouldn't have much hope for it. There are lots of Stan Lee books out there, but these ultra-cheap bulk sellers of Stan sigs on eBay (and there have been several over the years) are almost always forgery mills.

Fake.

I’ve owned hundreds of CGC witnessed Stan Lee sigs (most of which he signed right in front of me) and this one doesn’t match. It looks like one of the cheap forgeries Turtlegirl is churning out on a weekly basis on $1 bin books. Even with Stan Lee’s inconsistencies this one has obvious issues. 

Edited by seredynskib