• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help and information required
2 2

33 posts in this topic

Hi,

Firstly I am not really a comic person and at 52 it's a bit late to start. These comics do intrigue me as they were in the bottom of a box that I bought because it had items I wanted. I was about to trash them and then a friend said they may be worth something. Not being a comic guy I am reaching out to see if I have something here. They were in plastic folders that were marked $60 #1 #2 First. Not sure what that means, but I am trying to give you as much information as I can. I don’t really want to know what they are worth yet, just is it worth sending them in to get checked out by CGC. I would be happy to get any advice I can. Thank you. David Mac. P.s. Please don’t use jargon if you respond, as I am uneducated when it comes to this topic. 

comic pic.jpg

Ok I'll bite. The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles # 1 &2 could be worth a ton of money depending on what printing and the condition. If they're 3rd print $60 would be about

right however. No idea about theothers.  If you want more information you are going to have to put up some scans &/or detailed pictures of the front & back inside covers of

these books. There are plenty of people here that know far more than I & could tell you at a glance but you will have to put in some work. It will be worth your while.:sick:

Edited by H0RR0RSH0W

1 minute ago, Oaian said:

Where did this happen?

44 minutes ago, oldbsturgeon said:

yeah it's probably worth it to someone

without using specific information concerning their potential value or any jargon, it could be good for you?

35 minutes ago, steveinthecity said:

@oakman29 What light can you shed on the Turtlemania Special #1? (Or the other two Turtle books?)  Thanks.

@lou_fine

30 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

I really dont know much at all about it.

Turtlemania Special had three editions. Yours is the most common by far, and had a print run of about 3,000. I have not seen one sold for years so I can't put a dollar value on it, but all of the Turtle books have value. It depends on which print they are.  

1 hour ago, Oaian said:

Still not seeing it (shrug)

Me either.🤔

I was asked if I knew anything regarding the turtle mania books, although I may know many things. Turtle books are just a small interest due to my 10 year old son loving them. I in turn bought the first issues really just for him. Now if you ask me about Warren horror mags? I've got you covered.😊

1 hour ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Is that TMNT 1?

If so graded in 9.8 it is worth about $70,000...

It's nice to be on a site where people make a joke of your find...you must really feel welcome

A bit extreme to tell him about the 9.8 graded TMNT Gocollect price, no?  Do you always tell people their books may be worth 9.8 graded prices? 

He has 1 post and somehow found his way on a comic forum and registered a new account when he could have asked anywhere else or did any type of google search to help him find info.  You must understand where the jokes come from....

2 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

A bit extreme to tell him about the 9.8 graded TMNT Gocollect price, no?  Do you always tell people their books may be worth 9.8 graded prices? 

He has 1 post and somehow found his way on a comic forum and registered a new account when he could have asked anywhere else or did any type of google search to help him find info.  You must understand where the jokes come from....

I don't think it's extreme. I gave him the ceiling.

I don't know what type of account it is, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, offer him what information might benefit him and move on

Those books all have value. The condition looks quite good. Whether it is extreme value or not depends upon the printing of the Turtles #1 and #2.  There is a way to tell the printing of the #1 based upon the length of the sword and the amount of blood, but I never was that into Turtles. You can also check the indicia and the back cover ads to determine what printing they are.  There are a number of threads in the Copper section discussing all of the important information. The regular edition Turtlemania and the Nintendo sneak preview also do well graded in high grade.

31 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

Those books all have value. The condition looks quite good. Whether it is extreme value or not depends upon the printing of the Turtles #1 and #2.  There is a way to tell the printing of the #1 based upon the length of the sword and the amount of blood, but I never was that into Turtles. You can also check the indicia and the back cover ads to determine what printing they are.  There are a number of threads in the Copper section discussing all of the important information. The regular edition Turtlemania and the Nintendo sneak preview also do well graded in high grade.

I would second this and suggest putting the detailed photos/scans in the PGM section. Kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak. After of course reading forum guidelines.:preach:

Well, a little overwhelmed by the plethora of responses. Normal mix of forces, so I will go with the positive. Thanks for your feedback, to be honest it took the moderators a few days to put the post up, so in the mean time I reached out to a member of a TMNT #1 forum on this site and he was very polite and informative and I will be sending them into get "slabbed", new jargon I learnt. This is a very unique situation where I am not informed, so I will continue to improve my knowledge about this fascinating subject. From the limited knowledge I have acquired, it does seem as they are original first print, one of the 3250. Strange to think they were in the living room of Eastman and Lairds apparent. I am a coin collector, so I appreciate the human connection to items,which will hopefully explain my incoherence to some of the elements of this industry.

7 hours ago, H0RR0RSH0W said:

Ok I'll bite. The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles # 1 &2 could be worth a ton of money depending on what printing and the condition. If they're 3rd print $60 would be about

right however. No idea about theothers.  If you want more information you are going to have to put up some scans &/or detailed pictures of the front & back inside covers of

these books. There are plenty of people here that know far more than I & could tell you at a glance but you will have to put in some work. It will be worth your while.:sick:

Thanks.:)

8 hours ago, steveinthecity said:

@oakman29 What light can you shed on the Turtlemania Special #1? (Or the other two Turtle books?)  Thanks.

@lou_fine

From what I have discovered they are first print and I will be sending them to get graded. It has the gobbledygook advert on the back inside cover.

18 hours ago, dmac007 said:

From what I have discovered they are first print and I will be sending them to get graded. It has the gobbledygook advert on the back inside cover.

Before sending for grading, you may also want to learn a little bit about pressing.  Hold a comic at an angle where the light reflects off the cover gloss, and look for small bends or folds that don't break the color.  If there are significant non-color-breaking creases, having the comics professionally pressed has the potential to increase the grade they are assigned, and thereby increase their sale value.