• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

And yet another reason I hate UPS
2 2

27 posts in this topic

I had a package sent to me via UPS that required signature confirmation.  It was nearly an $800 shipment not comic but other collectibles.  The shipper actually asked if wanted the sig confirm. or not which I did. 

I tracked the package which did say required sig,  It was scheduled for delivery yesterday but rescheduled for today.  So this morning, I hear a knock and the package is there with the UPS driver walking away without waiting to see if anyone answered let alone require a sig.  I was able to call out to him and ask if I needed to sign which he said no.  I know FedEx doesn't have you sign anymore because of COVID-19 but they ask your name before leaving the item if it requires a sig.

I assume the driver was just lazy.  Their deliveries are rarely delivered in the window they provide.  They have mishandled packages of mine.  They have left packages close to my yard and not at the front door which is where I have notated for all UPS deliveries. 

This one really bothered me given the value of the package.  

UPS is the worst. rantrant

I have a few friends that drive for UPS. I had the same problem so I asked them about it. They said drivers can sign your name, add COVID and leave the package. I would think they would at least have to wait for someone to accept the package or open the door or yell out the window and say "I'm here!" but I guess not :pullhair:

14 minutes ago, BriD. said:

I have a few friends that drive for UPS. I had the same problem so I asked them about it. They said drivers can sign your name, add COVID and leave the package. I would think they would at least have to wait for someone to accept the package or open the door or yell out the window and say "I'm here!" but I guess not :pullhair:

That is just dumb.  FedEx maintains a safe distance and just asks your name to verify - no contact but confirmation.  What is the point and I paid extra for the sig confirmation.  

I agree with :pullhair:

Thanks for the info.  The seller only shipped UPS or I would have chosen a different option even if it cost more.

I honestly have had problems with all of the delivery companys.

Fedex once left my package outside the apartment building I lived in leaning against the front door. doh! The door everyone uses to enter and exit the place.

I got home as the truck was driving away. Being just after work, there were several people who walked into the building and were looking at the package now laying on the concrete stairs up to the front door. I run up and check and sure enough the parcel was for me. What was in it? My Iron Man #1 CGC 9.2 Western Penn pedigree! Thanks for being so careless Fedex.

I had something similar happen with my last shipment back from CGC via UPS. Probably about 5 grand worth in comics. I was tracking the box closely as I live near Tampa so it gets shipped fast from Sarasota. Sure enough, I'm sitting at work at around noon and it shows delivered. CGC ships everything with signature confirmation and it indeed showed that someone signed for it. I thought to myself, 'wtf?' I get off at 6 and drive home hoping they didn't deliver it to the wrong address. Sure enough, my box has been sitting at my front door. Luckily no one ripped me off and it didn't rain that day. It rains a lot here, and not just a light patter. I'm glad it worked out, but it's definitely worrying.

Edited by bb8

I had this happen yesterday. Spent 2000 on a comic, by far the most i have ever spent. It was shipped UPS with sig required. I went out to get something from my car and there's the package, tossed on my front steps. Didn't even ring the doorbell to let me know ot was there. Also, despite having fragile written all over it, they had dropped the box and dropped something heavy on it. The box was crushed and ripped, and I could see the corner of the cgc case poking out. 

Luckily it was mostly undamaged, though the case has a big scuff on the corner where it impacted. 

Great job, UPS.

Edited by Crimebuster

18 hours ago, telerites said:

I had a package sent to me via UPS that required signature confirmation.  It was nearly an $800 shipment not comic but other collectibles.  The shipper actually asked if wanted the sig confirm. or not which I did. 

I tracked the package which did say required sig,  It was scheduled for delivery yesterday but rescheduled for today.  So this morning, I hear a knock and the package is there with the UPS driver walking away without waiting to see if anyone answered let alone require a sig.  I was able to call out to him and ask if I needed to sign which he said no.  I know FedEx doesn't have you sign anymore because of COVID-19 but they ask your name before leaving the item if it requires a sig.

I assume the driver was just lazy.  Their deliveries are rarely delivered in the window they provide.  They have mishandled packages of mine.  They have left packages close to my yard and not at the front door which is where I have notated for all UPS deliveries. 

It is likely just new company policy. Every single UPS package I've had delivered since COVID ranging from $10 to $2500 with signature confirmation has just been left at the door with a doorbell ring and them quickly running off to their truck. Fortunately im home all the time now to receive it. Sadly, this may be emboldening porch theives aware of this policy.

But yeah the sig conf is pretty much moot for UPS and possibly USPS though I can't speak from experience on the receiving end from USPS.

I wonder how PayPal and eBay are treating package not delivered cases even though you, as a seller, pay for sig conf which protects you against package not delivered claims.

12 minutes ago, justafan said:

It is likely just new company policy. Every single UPS package I've had delivered since COVID ranging from $10 to $2500 with signature confirmation has just been left at the door with a doorbell ring and them quickly running off to their truck. Fortunately im home all the time now to receive it. Sadly, this may be emboldening porch theives aware of this policy.

But yeah the sig conf is pretty much moot for UPS and possibly USPS though I can't speak from experience on the receiving end from USPS.

I wonder how PayPal and eBay are treating package not delivered cases even though you, as a seller, pay for sig conf which protects you against package not delivered claims.

It would be nice if they were more transparent.  And no blame to the seller on this but here is the e-mail I received from them.  I did blot out the amount but it makes their policy moot as well.  I will send them an email to let them know what UPS is doing so they hopefully can change up.

"We have your order ready to send out.  Due to the increase in  porch thefts all over the country, however, we are now sending all U.S. orders over $300 with a signature required for delivery.  Please confirm that this is okay. 

If you do NOT want your order totaling $xxxx sent with a signature required for delivery, we need confirmation by return email that says 'I accept full responsibility for my shipment if it is stolen and tracking records indicate it made it to my front porch, because I am choosing to not have it sent with a signature required for delivery.  If I do not receive my package, I will also not attempt to file a chargeback with my credit card company or PayPal as this is my responsibility and not theirs."  You can cut and paste this statement if you would like, but we must have it written out.  We will not ship anything until we hear back from you."

19 hours ago, telerites said:

I  I know FedEx doesn't have you sign anymore because of COVID-19 but they ask your name before leaving the item if it requires a sig.

I had a sig delivery this week from FedEx. First driver didn't deliver because I wasn't home. Second driver rang the bell and was in his truck before I got to the door. 

I just had another conversation with my ups friend. I realized that I hadn't seen one of those notices on the door that give you the option of redelivery or pick up in a while. I would think that would be required for a sig confirmation package when no one is home. He said basically because they are so busy drivers just do what they want. The best thing to do is if you're expecting a package, leave instructions on the door for the driver. Even that might not work though. 

My UPS driver in Bisbee starts his day at 7AM, some thirty miles from here. He often is still delivering as late as 9PM and then has to drive the 30 miles back.  He says they are very shorthanded plus they are busier than ever. He is young and single and loves the overtime but says many career guys are looking at moving on because of the extended hours. In my case, if he sees my car isn't at the shop, he brings the stuff into my yard and puts it by my backdoor. 

I'm noticing a lot more Fed Ex Ground deliveries these last few months. 

Edited by shadroch

11 minutes ago, Taylor G said:

UPS and Fedex rely on USPS for the "last mile" of delivery in many places.  Rural areas are SOL if USPS goes bye bye.

And anybody using Media Mail for Ebay sales/purchases, you are going to be so screwed.

Honestly, if they are successful in ending USPS,   prices will go up for everyone except the for profit private companies who will take over.   This is America.

I didn't think drivers were doing signatures anymore with the virus. I've had signature packages left for a while now from both UPS and FedEx. I'm sure if people wanted to do scams they would have a high chance of getting their money back or a replacement item with the whole item unsigned and missing excuse. Or course, if you have a normal or driver you know, you might put their job at risk.

2 hours ago, JollyComics said:

Hey hey hey guys and gals.  I know you got upset at those drivers.   I suggested you to change the delivery routes to UPS and FedEx locations for pick ups.  It works well for me and never worry about missing the packages or they steal them.

You know the way CGC sends shipments you cannot redirect at least for FedEx since that is the way I choose.  I even use my own account.  

3 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

I didn't think drivers were doing signatures anymore with the virus. I've had signature packages left for a while now from both UPS and FedEx. I'm sure if people wanted to do scams they would have a high chance of getting their money back or a replacement item with the whole item unsigned and missing excuse. Or course, if you have a normal or driver you know, you might put their job at risk.

FedEx doesn't ask you to sign anymore but does ask your name to confirm at least that is what they do with my deliveries.  I had a CGC submission come back a couple of weeks ago and that was still the FedEx protocol for my delivery.

23 hours ago, Crimebuster said:

I had this happen yesterday. Spent 2000 on a comic, by far the most i have ever spent. It was shipped UPS with sig required. I went out to get something from my car and there's the package, tossed on my front steps. Didn't even ring the doorbell to let me know ot was there. Also, despite having fragile written all over it, they had dropped the box and dropped something heavy on it. The box was crushed and ripped, and I could see the corner of the cgc case poking out. 

Luckily it was mostly undamaged, though the case has a big scuff on the corner where it impacted. 

Great job, UPS.

What a punch in the bread basket.

I hope you can file an insurance claim with UPS to get it reholdered. If so, dont forget to include the shipping costs both ways, the invoice fee and all other charges in your claim.

Balls speedbag.gif

On 8/14/2020 at 5:32 PM, telerites said:

Agree. UPS is the one we have the biggest problem with here. Unfortunately half the Amazon Prime packages we get are sent via UPS and they almost always get pushed back and sit in the warehouse across the Hudson. My fiancé has called Amazon multiple times and told them to stop sending UPS because the stuff never comes on time and it’s often our cat’s food which we actually need. They said they use some algo to determine whether items are sent USPS or UPS. Amazon is building a facility across the river so here’s to hoping they have their own fleet and just kick UPS and there inability to deliver packages timely to the curb.

Last week I received a painting that signature required from Fed Ex and the guy rang the doorbell, waited for me to answer, and asked me name and then handed over the package. I was so happy the artist sent Fed Ex instead of UPS.