• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does A CGC Graded Comic Raise The Value Any??

17 posts in this topic

Kinda new to comics and grading. My question is when it comes to the CGC graded slabs does it raise the value any compared to book price? Example if a comic is worth $10 in NM (I assume 9.0 or above) does having it CGC graded a 9.0 raise the value past $10?

I ask since I am wondering is it good idea for comics from the 1980s or later to be graded if it can raise the price.

Thank you

not in every case and that's because if you factor in the cost of the grading, even if there was an increase in price, the grading cost alone doesn't make up for the difference unless you got the book for ultra cheap or say free.

where you get a huge bump is 9.8 pricing and even then it's not always worth it. basically the book needs to be significant in order for it to make sense to send off for grading, if the intention is to sell it.

Edited by oldbsturgeon

It can but not in every situation.  As oldbsturgeon alluded to, it depends once you factor in the cost of grading.  Throw in paying for pressing and shipping as well.  I see so many people grading books and talking so much about the value when it was a $20 raw book and its now a $50 graded book but factor in the grading cost+shipping (and if they choose to press) and they would actually lose money if they sold it for $50.  

The key is to learn what you have by learning what comics are worth by checking eBay, Gocollect, GPA and then learn about grading by using this forum and other resources to help you gain information.  Only then can you really know if grading is worth it and will raise value.

Edited by Keys_Collector

CGC Grading/Slabbing is the solution to increasing the value of all the 90's era books that had huge print runs...  

It's funny that, for instance, I can find a random NM looking early Spider-Man or Spawn issue in the $5 (CDN) box at my LCS, and then see the same issue in a CGC 9.8 going for $100+...   

2 minutes ago, StreetPreacher said:

CGC Grading/Slabbing is the solution to increasing the value of all the 90's era books that had huge print runs...  

It's funny that, for instance, I can find a random NM looking early Spider-Man or Spawn issue in the $5 (CDN) box at my LCS, and then see the same issue in a CGC 9.8 going for $100+...   

sounds like your local store is providing you tons of opportunities to make some cash then, congratulations.

14 minutes ago, revat said:

sounds like your local store is providing you tons of opportunities to make some cash then, congratulations.

Maybe if it cost me less than that to send my books off to get slabbed!  I'm in Canada, so just getting a book graded would probably cost close to $100...

6 hours ago, KnottyDread said:

Thank you all for the responses. Doing more research and from reading to most or at least a lot of the slabbed if spending my own money should be done on key issues or first appearances of a certain character.

Suppose you grade a book with no significance, say a book that is a $3-5 book raw. Grading and shipping costs will put you in the hole around $40. You'd be lucky to sell such a book for $20, unless it was a 9.8 then MAYBE you would get your money back. If you are grading a key book with a first appearance, desired cover, story or art, then usually grading will bump the value. Depending on the book, the bump could be $20-50, or much more. 

8 hours ago, KnottyDread said:

Thank you all for the responses. Doing more research and from reading to most or at least a lot of the slabbed if spending my own money should be done on key issues or first appearances of a certain character.

And only certain grades. Slabbing midgrade copper age books would be just as wastefull.

How about those silver age books that were really READ so much a slab grade would make it about a 3 to 4 grade. Raw may be $2.00 or so. Because its Silver Age would the slab bump so that it is worth the effort? I dont know how you guys do it. If i go to a comic shop and see boxes galore and trying to remember all the key issues and what they are worth I go crazy

36 minutes ago, KnottyDread said:

How about those silver age books that were really READ so much a slab grade would make it about a 3 to 4 grade. Raw may be $2.00 or so. Because its Silver Age would the slab bump so that it is worth the effort? I dont know how you guys do it. If i go to a comic shop and see boxes galore and trying to remember all the key issues and what they are worth I go crazy

Well most of the people who do it for profit aren’t slabbing if there’s any chance of loss (and usually a minimum guaranteed amount of profit)  

and if it was your job or your passion you would really dive in and get experience.  It’s really not for everyone, and that’s ok.  That’s why most people will tell you to buy or slab what you like and can afford, especially early in in your Cgc life.

Another consideration being that many flippers of comics will have a specialty niche they know in detail, and only general knowledge of everything else. I know mostly modern Marvel stuff but during dollar bin diving or eBay skimming I’ll recognize a cover of something unfamiliar that catches my eye because I’ve seen it being discussed in the past. This will prompt me to look it up and find its value. I’m sure I’ve missed plenty, but I’ve found plenty too. 
I can’t really be considered a flipper since I haven’t sold the vast majority of my great finds, lol.

As I am a flipper more so then a collector my goal is to try and find first appearance issues and variants if I can remember them all. I got a few apps to look up but damn you could spend hours looking at each comic if you dont have anything memorized. Has anyone pulled say $20 or more value comics from a $1 bin box before?

24 minutes ago, KnottyDread said:

As I am a flipper more so then a collector my goal is to try and find first appearance issues and variants if I can remember them all. I got a few apps to look up but damn you could spend hours looking at each comic if you dont have anything memorized. Has anyone pulled say $20 or more value comics from a $1 bin box before?

Yes they have, we have a whole thread about that called "adventures in the dollar bin". But only go if you don't mind feeling overly jealous of someone's lucky find.

Also, the flippers who make money don't do it the way you do. You won't find gold bin diving too much. The way flippers have made money is in those integers between 9.4-9.8 grades on key books. They will spend thousands on a Giant Size X-Men 1 in 9.6. Crack it out of it's CGC case, press it and regrade it. if it comes out 9.8 then they doubled their money. Flipping any other way is probably more effort than it's worth.

And to answer your other question a 1$ raw comic can be worth more in a CGC case IF it becomes a 9.8. But then you have to remember not just the appearances and comics that matter but also make sure it has a chance at 9.8. because if not, then the comic's value will not increase on par with what it cost to slab.

Here's a key you might find in a dollar bin, New X-Men 134. A flipper found it and sent it to CGC, paid anywhere between $30-$40 alltogether in terms of expenses.

And because it came back 9.6, it sold for only $19, so money was lost. So don't waste your time on dollar bin books and counting pennies, concentrate on bigger books that have interest now (like Detective Comics 359, Ultimate Fallout 4, ect) and flip those.

image.png.148d35c35996595f57907fec7117634b.png