• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comicartfans purchases
1 1

41 posts in this topic

Do many of you make purchases on comicartfans? How does it work, exactly, when someone lists something for sale that you want to buy? Is it a trustworthy place to find art from? I realize it's full of collectors and not a site like Anthony's or anything, but I guess I'm just looking for tips and experiences, since I literally signed up just today and have no experience there. Thanks!

1 hour ago, BuraddoRun said:

Do many of you make purchases on comicartfans? How does it work, exactly, when someone lists something for sale that you want to buy? Is it a trustworthy place to find art from? I realize it's full of collectors and not a site like Anthony's or anything, but I guess I'm just looking for tips and experiences, since I literally signed up just today and have no experience there. Thanks!

I have bought and sold through CAF with no issues, just US only, though.  You shouldn't have any problems.  Ask for references if you need to for your own comfort!

Best,  David S. Albright

5 hours ago, BuraddoRun said:

Read and reread ESeffinga"s advice above over and over. I think you should spend time getting to know other CAF members. You are able to trade emails back and forth. You could start with a few short emails sending your thoughts about a posted art piece. Keep it friendly. Over time you'll have "friends" here. Check out the Comic Market place thread here on CGC. Many pieces listed are on a CAF site also.

1 minute ago, grapeape said:

Read and reread ESeffinga"s advice above over and over. I think you should spend time getting to know other CAF members. You are able to trade emails back and forth. You could start with a few short emails sending your thoughts about a posted art piece. Keep it friendly. Over time you'll have "friends" here. Check out the Comic Market place thread here on CGC. Many pieces listed are on a CAF site also.

And never pay friends and family through PayPal.---Comix4fun

2 - Don’t pay anyone you aren’t close to with Friends and Family via PayPal. A lot of folks ask to save themselves the fees, but if things go south, you are the one that is definitely hosed. ESeffinga

Can you guys explain your concerns about paying PayPal friends and family? That would be helpful for the new members.

7 minutes ago, grapeape said:

And never pay friends and family through PayPal.---Comix4fun

2 - Don’t pay anyone you aren’t close to with Friends and Family via PayPal. A lot of folks ask to save themselves the fees, but if things go south, you are the one that is definitely hosed. ESeffinga

Can you guys explain your concerns about paying PayPal friends and family? That would be helpful for the new members.

Well I didn't want to assume people hadn't used PayPal in other hobbies or places and come across this issue, so I held off on elaborating. However....

Friends and Family is the wrong method to use unless you're reimbursing someone for something (tickets, dinner, they picked something up and covered the cost, etc.) because there is  1) no protection through PayPal for the payer ( if they fail to deliver your item you cannot have PayPal intervene to get your funds back for you, you're on your own when it comes to PayPal ) and 2) PayPal has been increasingly militant about misuse of friends and family payments (fee avoidance) in violation of their terms. It can and has resulted in accounts getting placed on hold and funds being held in limbo if the payment gets flagged for any of numerous reasons. 

For transactions Goods & Services should be the only thing used. Sellers can build the extra 2.9% & change into their selling price if necessary but, to me, anyone I don't know well that demands Friends & Family payment is sending up a red flag. Many facebook groups live on F&F payments but it's incredibly irresponsible as a general rule. 

Just one quick clarification (that you may already be aware of), but CAF is for all intents and purposes just the host for collections and for-sale galleries.  They make this clear when you message a seller, but it's not a situation where they have vetted sellers, nor are they getting any sort of cut of the sale that puts them in a position to act as mediator if problems arise.  

Having said that, I've never had a problem with the small handful of buys I've made there.  As ESeffinga and others have mentioned above, usually when chatting with someone you can pretty quickly get a feel for them.  Generally folks are friendly and fairly enthusiastic to talk about the hobby. 

6 hours ago, BuraddoRun said:

Probably more trustworthy collectors on there than Anthony.

I will pay via PayPal using Friends/Family if I have established a relationship with the seller. 

One of them mentioned that too much incoming $$$ may attract PayPal's attention since it does avoid their Goods/Services fees.

Edited by Will_K

1 hour ago, Will_K said:

I will pay via PayPal using Friends/Family if I have established a relationship with the seller. 

One of them mentioned that too much incoming $$$ may attract PayPal's attention since it does avoid their Goods/Services fees.

That actually happened to me recently. I had placed an order on behalf of several folks for some items, and they reimbursed me, it was the perfect use of F&F and after 5-6 of them PayPal held up one of the payments to investigate...it was $8....it was cleared in a few days when it was passed along to them that it was a reimbursement, but it goes to show that all transactions great and small monitored. 

28 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

What makes you say that? I haven’t had, or heard, a bad thing about him. 

“Bought” a Jusko Thor painting from him in October 2015 for 4K. Put it in the basket and did the checkout. No response from him for awhile about paying.

Email him asking the status of the piece. Get an email back the next day that it’s a consignment piece and working out the status. Never get another response. Piece disappears from the website shortly later. So I just assume the consigner sold it elsewhere and never informed him.

But of course a few months later it shows up on Anthony’s site now listed at 7K. Several years later I was at NYCC and guess what was sitting in one of Anthony’s bins. The same Thor painting. I would never waste my time on him again plus the rise of auction houses have left him a dealer of comic color guides and very little substantial  comic art.

It's as dependable and trustworthy as whoever you're dealing with. A lot of collectors on there are very well established and their reputation is worth a lot more than one deal. Not that someone couldn't use the platform for ill intent, but if you're dealing with someone established, they are fairly incentivized to follow through. 

Thanks for all the advice, everyone, and assuaging my fears. I found a piece for sale that I'm REALLY interested in, but it's higher than I've ever paid for OA before. It's also nicer, a cover.

I guess I should try and scan my OA and get it up on CAF soon as well. I don't have a big enough scanner! But thankfully, I live close to a FedEx copy center.

22 minutes ago, BuraddoRun said:

Thanks for all the advice, everyone, and assuaging my fears. I found a piece for sale that I'm REALLY interested in, but it's higher than I've ever paid for OA before. It's also nicer, a cover.

I guess I should try and scan my OA and get it up on CAF soon as well. I don't have a big enough scanner! But thankfully, I live close to a FedEx copy center.

Photography would be sufficient.