• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does this look like a 9.8?
3 3

57 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, KCOComics said:

Where is this book being sold? What exactly is the scam? 

Someone popped out a 9.8 and placed a raw 7.0 in the slab and carefully resealable it? 

If it's a photoshop, what good does that do?  

I hope I don't come off as snarky, I'm really trying to figure this out. 

It was sold at a recent Heritage auction and another poster commented that it didn't look like a 9.8.

I don't think it was altered or anything like that but a grader(s) mistake.  CGC is not perfect and there are plenty of grading mistakes floating around out there.

I don't know how many times we have to say this but buy the book and not the grade.  There are many examples of lower grade books presenting better than technical higher grades.

3 minutes ago, Keys_Collector said:

It was sold at a recent Heritage auction and another poster commented that it didn't look like a 9.8.

I don't think it was altered or anything like that but a grader(s) mistake.  CGC is not perfect and there are plenty of grading mistakes floating around out there.

I don't know how many times we have to say this but buy the book and not the grade.  There are many examples of lower grade books presenting better than technical higher grades.

Yikes... did it get 9.8 value at auction? 

1 hour ago, Keys_Collector said:

don't know how many times we have to say this but buy the book and not the grade.  There are many examples of lower grade books presenting better than technical higher grades.

I concur.

Other than poor grading, if this copy reached 9.8 because its interior is flawless and the pages the most supple and bone white of any comic in the history of comics publishing, I’d still go for a lower grade, better-presenting copy with superior eye appeal.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Perhaps the color rub on the left spine and chipping/light creasing on the right edge was considered a manufacturing flaw and thus ignored by CGC?  CGC is very vague about what is and is not manufacturing flaws, and I've sent plenty of dog-ear corner tears where those are ignored as well because it is considered manufacturing bindery tear.

36 minutes ago, 90sChild said:

Perhaps the color rub on the left spine and chipping/light creasing on the right edge was considered a manufacturing flaw and thus ignored by CGC?  CGC is very vague about what is and is not manufacturing flaws, and I've sent plenty of dog-ear corner tears where those are ignored as well because it is considered manufacturing bindery tear.

C’mon

Nothing about that right edge looks production related.

I agree with those who believe the image was photoshopped.  It's extremely bright/overexposed, and could easily have had a scan of the label of a 9.8 copy stuck onto the scan of the comic in the lower part of the holder, which appears to be around a 7.0.  The overexposure is used to cover up the seam where the two different images have been put together.

I suppose the book could have been swapped in to replace a 9.8 copy, but the new CGC holders are extremely tough for doing that, if not impossible.

CGC may make plenty of mistakes and questionable judgement calls, but not like this.

Edited by namisgr

33 minutes ago, namisgr said:

I agree with those who believe the image was photoshopped.  It's extremely bright/overexposed, and could easily have had a scan of the label of a 9.8 copy stuck onto the scan of the comic in the lower part of the holder, which appears to be around a 7.0.  The overexposure is used to cover up the seam where the two different images have been put together.

I suppose the book could have been swapped in to replace a 9.8 copy, but the new CGC holders are extremely tough for doing that, if not impossible.

CGC may make plenty of mistakes and questionable judgement calls, but not like this.

So you are saying that Heritage photoshopped the image and put another comic in? That sounds like a conspiracy theory:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/wolverine-4-marvel-1982-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/122033-15526.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

I'm surprised people are shocked by this.  There's been a lot of examples over the years of CGC over or undergrading books.  I can't say why it happens on such a severe case at times but it does happen.

I didn't know we were being shown a Heritage scan.  No, I'm not saying that it's the nefarious work of Heritage.  Knowing that now, I'd venture the mistake WAS at CGC's end, switching two labels intended for the same issue.  I know for a fact that happens from time to time, having had submissions with labels having been switched between two different issues of the same title.

I don't believe a book with that much obvious wear would ever receive a 9.8 grade from the company.  The comic is literally 7 to 8 grading units below a 9.8.

Edited by namisgr

2 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:
3 hours ago, namisgr said:

So you are saying that Heritage photoshopped the image and put another comic in? That sounds like a conspiracy theory:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/wolverine-4-marvel-1982-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/122033-15526.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

I'm surprised people are shocked by this.  There's been a lot of examples over the years of CGC over or undergrading books.  I can't say why it happens on such a severe case at times but it does happen.

While I agree that people make mistakes, that is a pretty large mistake.  But hey, it is absolutely possible.

I do not believe that Heritage had any hand in it other than just being the seller that sold it.  Where they are just putting an item up and letting it go for what it goes for.

Thanks for providing the info @Keys_Collector, i really just thought it was either a photoshopped image or something trying to pull a fast one.

7 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

They grade differently by age 

:roflmao:

So------------9.9?