• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading question
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I just submitted 10 older comics to CGC and got them all back today. Every single one was graded one or two grades lower than I expected. Has their grading tightened up significantly in the last few years?

Two of the books were from the Palo Alto collection and one was graded by them an 8.0 and CGC graded it a 6.0 and the other was graded a 6.0 by them and CGC graded at a 4.0.

Very disappointed!

22 minutes ago, Bonds25 said:

I just submitted 10 older comics to CGC and got them all back today. Every single one was graded one or two grades lower than I expected. Has their grading tightened up significantly in the last few years?

Two of the books were from the Palo Alto collection and one was graded by them an 8.0 and CGC graded it a 6.0 and the other was graded a 6.0 by them and CGC graded at a 4.0.

Very disappointed!

Cgc seems inundated with signature series books these days. Check the recent July submitted books. Could they be overwhelmed?

41 minutes ago, Bonds25 said:

Every single one was graded one or two grades lower than I expected. Has their grading tightened up significantly in the last few years?

Is it possible that your grading has loosened significantly in the last few years?

50 minutes ago, Bonds25 said:

Every single one was graded one or two grades lower than I expected

Got any pictures?  if you have pictures of them raw you might try posting them in this forum before telling people what CGC graded them, to get an idea what others think the grades should have been.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/

31 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

Is it possible that your grading has loosened significantly in the last few years?

I used to send comics all the time to get graded and I was usually pretty darn close. I definitely wasn’t off by one or two full grades on every single comic.  

4 minutes ago, Bonds25 said:
36 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

I used to send comics all the time to get graded and I was usually pretty darn close. I definitely wasn’t off by one or two full grades on every single comic.  

I just got back a 61 book submission of mid grade '40's through early '60's books. They had all been on our site for over a year and I figured I'd get them slabbed and moved through a different venue. The breakdown is 15% graded higher (all by .5), 40% the same, and 45% lower (two by 1.0, all others by .5). Some of the lowers I attribute to handling at shows but overall they are a bit tougher than I am.

12 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

I just got back a 61 book submission of mid grade '40's through early '60's books. They had all been on our site for over a year and I figured I'd get them slabbed and moved through a different venue. The breakdown is 15% graded higher (all by .5), 40% the same, and 45% lower (two by 1.0, all others by .5). Some of the lowers I attribute to handling at shows but overall they are a bit tougher than I am.

Ok, thanks!  Apparently my grading skills suck then.  I also sent 23 modern books for grading so it will be interesting to see how close I am on those.  

3 hours ago, Bonds25 said:

I also sent 23 modern books for grading so it will be interesting to see how close I am on those.  

Good luck with them. I hope you under-graded the whole batch.