• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Press/Regrade 9.0 Hulk 181??

13 posts in this topic

Greetings everyone,

If this is in the wrong post...I apologize in advance (as well as for the glares in my pictures). My Hulk 181 was graded back in 2005 at a 9.0 (Off White to White pages). I love the book and plan on holding on to it for awhile. I wanted to obtain some opinions on having it pressed and cleaned and regraded. My fears would be to have it graded lower than what it currently is at a 9.0 or find out something worse.

Thanks for the advice and sorry for the pictures/glare. Due to the size limit, I may need to add the pictures in replies.

IMG-0102.jpg

IMG-0111.jpg

38 minutes ago, Deadpoolica said:

A regrade would be risky from what I'm seeing....graders notes might shed some more light on it though 

Oh my, that's good advice!!! The notes are not necessary as the defects that would not be improved by a pressing are very obvious. Overall, I see an 8.5/9.0 with a slight lean more towards 8.5 than 9.0, so scoring a 9.0 had an element of luck or generosity to it that I would not want to push by vying for a 9.2 (again, because the defects relegating it to 8.5/9.0 territory, IMO, do not look improvable). IMO, not only is repeating the 9.0 a risk, but there's an unnecessary expense of resubmission and pressing. Spend the resubmission money on better candidate, IMO. 

I agree with everything everyone has said. The spine tics and dirt on back cover are the issues that put this in the 8.5 / 9.0 grade. A dry clean might take care of the back cover,  but the spine tics aren't going anywhere. 

I think it would be expensive, with little opportunity to improve the grade. 

Thanks everyone for the advice, I really appreciate it. When I purchased it in 2006, I did not receive any of the notes (none are mentioned when I look at the registry). This is my grail/favorite comic, so I wanted to make sure and kick the idea out of my head. I did not want to regret sending it out or think of "what if" and get greedy. Now I can enjoy it more save some $$ in the process.

Much appreciated!

53 minutes ago, MarvelXMEN said:

Thanks everyone for the advice, I really appreciate it. When I purchased it in 2006, I did not receive any of the notes (none are mentioned when I look at the registry). This is my grail/favorite comic, so I wanted to make sure and kick the idea out of my head. I did not want to regret sending it out or think of "what if" and get greedy. Now I can enjoy it more save some $$ in the process.

Much appreciated!

Congrats on getting your grail in such beautiful shape. 

This book, in this condition is getting pretty far out of reach for most people. 

2 hours ago, MarvelXMEN said:

Much appreciated!

You're very welcome. And it's not "greedy" thinking. It's dollars and cents. If potentially transmutable to 9.2, why not? It would be the smart play, not a greedy one. And it is a beautiful book anyone would be proud to own. It's just a case of this particular set of flaws not being conducive to revision and/or improvement.