• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What color label would this ASM #50 get?

18 posts in this topic

Recently picked up this book from the owner, who as a child highlighted Spider-Man’s costume with pencil graphite. Actually, it almost looks natural as highlights before one realizes this drawing over the black lines with pencil was done in 1969. Any thoughts on what I have would be greatly appreciated and what color would this book fall under as the boy was not attempting to color touch up the book...just adding some highlightes to Spider-Man’s uniform. The tracing does bleed into the inside cover and you do see a black outline of Spiderman. 

478E8E20-7C73-4AA7-B5D9-CB5A655616EB.jpeg

7F56B8FA-1617-4ECB-AC57-F648A7AAAD97.jpeg

E6F673E0-11E0-4D4A-9851-B9DAFDCBF1FB.jpeg

62903A5E-BCBC-4665-A925-FBEF5EABD1E3.jpeg

06C71B8C-303F-4965-9487-136E179277AF.jpeg

A professional comic restoration expert can use an ordinary eraser on pencil graphite. You might get blue if you left it as is. Up to the collector what they want to

put into it.

Edited by H0RR0RSH0W

43 minutes ago, H0RR0RSH0W said:

:screwy:

A professional cleaning would be unnoticeable and let you get the blue label you most likely desire. 

Not necessarily since it bleeds through the cover and could leave behind markings.  It really depends on how bad it is.

As far as what label it would get, it really depends.  I've seen books like this get color touch notations while others get blue labeled.  (shrug)

1 hour ago, Keys_Collector said:

Not necessarily since it bleeds through the cover and could leave behind markings.  It really depends on how bad it is.

As far as what label it would get, it really depends.  I've seen books like this get color touch notations while others get blue labeled.  (shrug)

I would completely agree that one will not get the bleeding on the inside of the book out without a chemical cleaning. That however would be more than I would do to the

book & lies quite far outside the realm of restoration since its the side effect of the indentation cause by the scribbling. I have never once seen scribing or writing on a

books cover to be restoration. So with just that 1  touch up itshould avoid the "writing on front cover " notation and stay blue.The bleeding would ding the grade but  I'd

say it's 25/75 that it would be blue label regardless.  

So to answer the OP it would probably be blue either way but definitely blue with it erased. The veterans here usually use this sticky to answer this question so I would

defer to that :

Edited by H0RR0RSH0W

14 hours ago, Kevin Upham said:

Recently picked up this book from the owner, who as a child highlighted Spider-Man’s costume with pencil graphite. Actually, it almost looks natural as highlights before one realizes this drawing over the black lines with pencil was done in 1969. Any thoughts on what I have would be greatly appreciated and what color would this book fall under as the boy was not attempting to color touch up the book...just adding some highlightes to Spider-Man’s uniform. The tracing does bleed into the inside cover and you do see a black outline of Spiderman. 

If it's only pencil tracing, it won't be considered restoration and it will still get a blue label. It will affect the overall grade, however...

5 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

Then leave it alone.  Don't grade it, don't mess with it.  Enjoy one of the best stories in the history of the comic with awesome artwork by Johnny Romita!  (thumbsu

Right! It has character, like an old wood cabinet... it's seasoned. It's a great comic with a great story on how it got that way.

13 hours ago, Kevin Upham said:

Thank you for your reply. Your opinion on sending in this book and grade range level?

My opinion would be this comic sells for $500-1000 in midgrade. Although there's alot of glare looks to me that it would grade at least that. Keep in mind when you say 'not

looking to sell it at this time', itcan take months for a comic to go through the cleaning & grading process. You should at least post it in the PGM section so you'll have that to

reference in the future.

Edited by H0RR0RSH0W

40 minutes ago, L-O-L-A said:

Anyone who would spend $1000 on this book is :screwy: You can get a much nicer book than this one for the same money.

I wouldn't give that book more than a 2.0 2c

Well that does not change the fact that that is the price it sells for.:makepoint::makepoint:

Not seeing what would drop the book to a 2.0. Are there chunks missing from the cover? Are there tics all up and down the spine? Are there any tears? It even looks like a fairly square wrap. :flamed:

45 minutes ago, L-O-L-A said:

doh! the entire cover is ruined by the color breaking tracing. He already said it bleeds through too. 

What's your Ebay name? I never want to buy raw books from you :makepoint:

My eBay is https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=collectible+comics+cgc+amazingspiderman+%2350&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=collectible+comics+cgc

If  there's anything else I can help you do to make the world a better place send me a message at https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/92-moderation-review-request/

21 hours ago, Kevin Upham said:

Thank you for your reply. Your opinion on sending in this book and grade range level?

Large, clear photos of the entire front and back cover would be very helpful in determining a ballpark grade, and taking the book out of the bag would be a good idea. You could post the photos in the "Spare a Grade" forum to see what folks think...