• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to handle a NPB that lives locally and I know where?

105 posts in this topic

thanks blow...you are right...this guy was protesting his case about how the other guy shilled him up so he should have to pay me? Why didn't he just retract if that was the case. I remeber that he was the high bid for 1 day and a half. He already retracts with his other aliases? Why not on my auction? We don't want these childish games being played out on our auctions. I take em seriously...maybe too seriously according to Matt.

I'm just doing what I can.

I, too, hate NPB, as I'm sure every seller on ebay does. They screw up everything, cost you money and sales, and lots of time and effort. I've had success stories and utter failures in trying to get the money. The best one was someone who bought 3 Simpsons chase cards at a stupid $3.00 apiece. Sure, it's chump change, but he bugged the heck out of me, because he didn't communicate until I started emailing daily and then he said that he'd found a better deal and would give me my listing fee back. I'm thinking sure, it's only $9.00 but why was he bidding, winning, and being silent while he was out looking for a better deal? My time was worth a lot more than the 30 cent listing fees! So I told him I was going to file NPB forms on him. that's 3 strikes because they were 3 separate auctions. His feedback record was perfect, and he had more than I did. I figured he wouldn't want to mess that up over a lousy $9.00. After cursing me out, he paid and told me NOT to send him the cards, he didn't want them, happy now? Yes, I was.

I have a feeling that he won't be playing that game with other sellers because I didn't get the feeling he was a player or a fraud. He was just trying to weasel out of a deal and had probably done so in the past on occasion, with success. If no one shows these guys the consequences, then they just go on doing it. For some, losing their ebay account is enough of a deterent. For others, it takes more.

I think we've determined that violence, vandalism, personal harm, etc. is never the answer. It gets you into far more trouble than any ebay deal is worth, and on a basic ethics level, never puts you in the right. But doing it through legal means, or by the ebay rules combined with persistence, can sometimes bring a positive outcome. Not always, of course, but satisfaction is a far more comfortable emotion than anger. Congratulations, Darth, on handling it the right way, and getting your just rewards.

-- Joanna

Darth,

Very well said!

Your demeanor has changed dramatically since the beginning of this thread.

I chimed in only because I saw comments like :

" I will be paying him and his FAMILY a visit, and that I'm leaving with my money one way or another"

And :"Do I now pay him a visit him and make sure he NEVER sets up a fake ID on eBay ever again"

I will NEVER believe that this is the way to "CHASE" after your MONEY.

There is no question that it is a principle issue, and I for one have been burned hard by NPB'S. I just don't think the solution is to be found through aggression and violence.

I have no doubt you are a solid and upstanding guy just by perusing your feedback profile.

Perhaps I am not "reading between " these lines .

But after some of the things that have happened to me and those I love I guess your vision gets a litlle blurry.

Your demeanor has changed dramatically since the beginning of this thread.

Pay the clown and he'll start making you laugh again! smile.gif

I chimed in only because I saw comments like :

" I will be paying him and his FAMILY a visit, and that I'm leaving with my money one way or another"

And :"Do I now pay him a visit him and make sure he NEVER sets up a fake ID on eBay ever again"

Such testosterone laden rhetoric can get one fired up about the topic, as shown by your "chiming in" wink.gif

I will NEVER believe that this is the way to "CHASE" after your MONEY.

There is no question that it is a principle issue, and I for one have been burned hard by NPB'S. I just don't think the solution is to be found through aggression and violence.

Neither do I, but you must take the intiative to do it by the book and not just be passive about it.

You want to meet me? What for? So you can pummel me in front of my wife? So I can embarrass you in front of your kid?

I don't think anyone is itching for a fight, and the point was probably to never assume anything about someone else online.

I had a real-life experience like that awhile back where I used to converse regularly with a guy about computer RPGs. We both worked downtown and agreed to meet at a bar/restaurant for a few beers. After finally tracking him down (yeah, a blue suit and black briefcase is a good differentiator grin.gif ), both of us strapping professional lads, dressed to the nines, looked at each other, laughed and and blurted out in unision:

"You're not what I expected".

It was hilarious, and if we had an online altercation and decided to meet for a duke-out, there would have been some serious damage going down. From that day forward I never, ever assume anything about anyone I converse/deal with online.

On a more basic level, I'll never forget the news story about a guy getting cut off by a Civic (or another small car). The guy was a pretty mean SOB and chased the Civic down and cut the driver off. He got out of his car and started trying to get the Civic's doors open. Once he did, a huge behemoth of a man finally climbed out of the Civic, chased the guy down and broke both his legs, an arm and dislocated various other body parts before the cops pulled him off.

The morale of this story: Just because a guy drives a Civic, doesn't mean he's small.

That's a life lesson you can write down for posterity. grin.gif

"I don't think anyone is itching for a fight, and the point was probably to never assume anything about someone else online. "

My point EXACTLY.

Damn CI, based on your responses to this thread you and I have very similar views.

And darth,

It's pretty amazing that you could get a guy so fired up and then have him LHAO.

You are a class act!

One question I DID have is what would you do about feedback, post a negative? Then get a retaliatory. I have seen ALOT of that with Ebay's imperfect feedback system. Look at CRUSTY'S feedback response to me, positive then a followup with a negative. Pretty easy to slam somebody.

Have a good night.

M

"The morale of this story: Just because a guy drives a Civic, doesn't mean he's small."

.......but maybe the uncomfortable driving conditions contributed to his bad mood..............

Actually, once the poor SOB saw what was lurking in the Civic, he tried to close the door, and I think, busted one of The Hulk's fingers. I don't think that helped his mood much and probably extended the hospital stay quite significantly.

It was a pretty bizarre Canadian story, and the sentiment was running 100-1 in favor of the behemoth taking Mr Mean to town. After all, instead of Big John Stud's brother in that Civic, it could have been your wife, child or friend.

Plus, a little road rage deterrent like that goes a long, long way.

JESUS...Vandalizing somebody's car ??? This gets applause? lol...Talk about a "WUSSY" approach to confrontation. You take the cake darth.

As I have said you all know very little of what happened. It was several years ago so the statute of limitations has run out, so I can tell the story. I just didn't want to type it because I CAN'T TYPE.

He lived in the country at the time. He arrived home from work, and found someone had opened the gate and his dog was loose. He went out to look for the dog, and couldn't find her. After several days of looking he found her dead, apparently shot, in a field about 100 yards from a neighbors home. He went to the house and asked if maybe they had seen who had shot his dog. He explained that he had been with the dog for over 6 years and was deeply hurt to have lost such a dear friend and wanted to find out why she was shot.

The guy looked him square in the eye, and said "I shot it, it shouldn't have been running loose". He asked why, and the guy basically said he did it "just because it was running loose". The dog hadn't barked, hadn't bitten or even threatened to bite anyone. It had just gotten loose. She had never been loose before, and it was unlikely she had gotten out on her own this time. I am an animal lover myself. I have three parrots, six ferrets, and my wife has a cat. People like this guy sicken me.

He called the sheriff, and was told that there was no law against shooting a loose dog, in the country. There was nothing the sheriff could do. At this point Brad had three choices.

1. Do nothing

2. Go attack the guy physically and be charged with assault.

3. A sneak attack on something dear to the guy who had destroyed something dear to him.

To my knowledge Brad has never had any trouble with the law, and he has told me that this incident is something he is neither proud of, nor is he ashamed. I on the other hand am quite proud of my friend, and am ashamed of everyone who jumped all over him when you had practically none of the story. You were quick to jump all over him, but not one of you asked why he did it.

Phil

All I can say is this:

Why did you offer up this story of retribution in the thread concerning how to deal with NPB's? Toasting someone's dog out of pure spite, is a quite bit higher on my list of infractions than a stupid money deal on EBay.

I don't know what I would do in that situation, but it might have involved porkchops and 12 hungry pitbulls. grin.gif

Why did you offer up this story of retribution in the thread concerning how to deal with NPB's?

At the beginning of the thread, it appeared Darth was pretty heated up. I usually find that hearing another story about someone getting heated up will often make your problems seem less earth shattering. Brad was standing right here with me reading over my shoulder and suggested I tell him about the car, I did.

Phil

About feedback for this guy...I would post a negative, with a brief" Contacted buyer, but disappeared. Paid only after tracked down." but he has already been Naru'd and I can't leave any now. don't recall but I think I did leave something? I don't think his NARU'd suspended status is reverting any time soon. smile.gif