• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Midnightshadow a Boardie? ...
1 1

45 posts in this topic

I bought this from him not long ago on eBay. It was previously a cbcs 9.2, so the grade drop was a tad unfortunate but such is life ☹️.

He worked with me on the price though which I felt was a fair one, even with the grade drop that I assumed could happen.

1E9B4941-E830-45C1-BDC6-70127298DF6D.jpeg

I dealt with him in the past.  Bought a CGC graded GA Batman from him.  He won the auction because I screwed up my snip account.  I emailed him and offered him less than 10% over what he won it for and he said sure.  Did the transaction and I still have the book.  He could have tried to get more from me but he didn't.  Overall, I was very happy with the transaction.  He has some nice stuff but is always on the high side but if you don't have to sell, why not try to get top dollar for your stuff (shrug)

On 12/20/2020 at 12:25 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

No one "wins" an auction—somebody pays the most and buys an item, but no one "wins" anything. When I see a boardie say that he "won" something on one of the auction sites I want to puke. But the hucksters have convinced people that being willing to pay the most makes you a "winner." Everybody wants to be a "winner."

I just find it too cumbersome to write "I acquired a piece by submitting a higher bid than anyone else was willing to". 

I prefer "I have crushed my adversaries and plundered their treasure."

13 hours ago, tth2 said:

I just find it too cumbersome to write "I acquired a piece by submitting a higher bid than anyone else was willing to". 

I'll be pretty happy to write it if it ever happens. (shrug)

11 hours ago, adamstrange said:

I prefer "I have crushed my adversaries and plundered their treasure."

You jest, but that might reflect the attitude of "punishment bidders" in some of these auctions. I think some people put in high bids thinking, "If I don't walk away with this book, at least I'll make somebody else pay a stratospheric price for it."

I think that some shill bidders have it down to a science; they watch to see how long the other bidder hesitates before entering another bid, and when it looks like the other bidder is slowing down, they stop bidding. Their goal is to be the underbidder. Some of them are good enough at it that they rarely get burned, but they probably set up bogus accounts so that they can default on the payment without consequences when they do get burned badly.

6 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

You jest, but that might reflect the attitude of "punishment bidders" in some of these auctions. I think some people put in high bids thinking, "If I don't walk away with this book, at least I'll make somebody else pay a stratospheric price for it."

I think that some shill bidders have it down to a science; they watch to see how long the other bidder hesitates before entering another bid, and when it looks like the other bidder is slowing down, they stop bidding. Their goal is to be the underbidder. Some of them are good enough at it that they rarely get burned, but they probably set up bogus accounts so that they can default on the payment without consequences when they do get burned badly.

busted; gotta think up some new nefarious scheme for my 2021 fun.

9 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

Guilty as charged, I am indeed a sore loser unhappy when I fail to acquire a piece because someone submitted a higher bid than I was willing to.  

3 hours ago, tth2 said:

Guilty as charged, I am indeed a sore loser unhappy when I fail to acquire a piece because someone submitted a higher bid than I was willing to.  

Yep.  When I go heavy on a book that I've identified as difficult to find and under the radar, I expect to close it out and I get a little grumpy if someone else takes it down.  

It means I miscalculated the value in the marketplace.  And that's the part that leaves me sour.

On 9/5/2020 at 10:47 AM, jimjum12 said:

Thanks for the help, folks. I asked because even though I have a resale license, eBay automatically charges me sales tax, which can become a significant addition on more expensive items. I was hoping to possibly avoid that, which wouldn't be illegal or anything. He has some very nice material. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I submitted my resell information to eBay and I do not get charged tax and you should not either

49 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

I submitted my resell information to eBay and I do not get charged tax and you should not either

Where would I do that at, Rick? Ebay has become somewhat daunting for me and the last sale I had there cost me 21%, which is high. I do make some purchases there. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

11 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

Yep.  When I go heavy on a book that I've identified as difficult to find and under the radar, I expect to close it out and I get a little grumpy if someone else takes it down.  

It means I miscalculated the value in the marketplace.  And that's the part that leaves me sour.

My original point, though, was that many people aren't bidding with respect to the "value in the marketplace." I have lost count of how many times I've seen a book sit unsold with a buy-it-now price only to have a comparable copy show up in an auction and sell for two or three times as much. There are many buyers out there who view auctions as competitions that they can "win."

How else do you explain Gary Keller? I have no other explanation for why he was willing to pay as much for the Mile High Green Lanterns as he did. (I'm not sure who the underbidder was on those books.) 

For instance, I believe that he's the one who paid $11,352.50 for the #13 in August of 2007.

The next sale of that book was in August of 2010 for $7,468.75.

The next sale after that was in May of 2014 for $4481.25, and then it sold in February of 2015 for $3,824, 33.7% of the price that Gary paid for it.

In the 2007 sale, I strongly suspect that only Gary and one other bidder went past $3 or $4 thousand dollars. And whether they were aware of it or not, I would submit that both of them were bidding because they wanted to "win." In Gary's case, "winning" likely provided some temporary gratification but ultimately cost him a lot of money.

Any time you bid in one of these auctions, you would be well served to remember that you may be bidding against someone who wants to "win" in order to satisfy some kind of insecurity and who may not even be considering the likely resale value of the book.

I've gotten pulled in more than once, but I've paid ridiculously high auction prices often enough that I've learned to walk away and wait for the next copy any time I see a book going above my honest pre-auction assessment of that book's value. I should say that I am able to walk away most of the time; it can be very hard to do during an auction—especially in the Heritage auctions where you only have a few seconds to decide whether to bid again, and you have a red warning light flashing in your face. The psychological manipulation in those auctions is obvious yet still effective because the HA folks prey on people's desire to "win," which is rooted in the insecurities that most of us harbor.

Edited by jimbo_7071

1 hour ago, jimbo_7071 said:

My original point, though, was that many people aren't bidding with respect to the "value in the marketplace." I have lost count of how many times I've seen a book sit unsold with a buy-it-now price only to have a comparable copy show up in an auction and sell for two or three times as much. There are many buyers out there who view auctions as competitions that they can "win."

How else do you explain Gary Keller? I have no other explanation for why he was willing to pay as much for the Mile High Green Lanterns as he did. (I'm not sure who the underbidder was on those books.) 

For instance, I believe that he's the one who paid $11,352.50 for the #13 in August of 2007.

The next sale of that book was in August of 2010 for $7,468.75.

The next sale after that was in May of 2014 for $4481.25, and then it sold in February of 2015 for $3,824, 33.7% of the price that Gary paid for it.

In the 2007 sale, I strongly suspect that only Gary and one other bidder went past $3 or $4 thousand dollars. And whether they were aware of it or not, I would submit that both of them were bidding because they wanted to "win." In Gary's case, "winning" likely provided some temporary gratification but ultimately cost him a lot of money.

Any time you bid in one of these auctions, you would be well served to remember that you may be bidding against someone who wants to "win" in order to satisfy some kind of insecurity and who may not even considering the likely resale value of the book.

I've gotten pulled in more than once, but I've paid ridiculously high auction prices often enough that I've learned to walk away and wait for the next copy any time I see a book going above my honest pre-auction assessment of a book's value. I should say that I am able to walk away most of the time; it can be very hard to do during an auction—especially in the Heritage auctions where the you only have a few seconds to decide whether to bid again, and you have a red warning light flashing in your face. The psychological manipulation in those auctions is obvious yet still effective because the HA folks prey on people's desire to "win," which is rooted in the insecurities that most of us harbor.

As Dave from storage wars would say...Yeeppp..I have been there and done that too many times..

On 12/20/2020 at 10:26 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

I bought this from him not long ago on eBay. It was previously a cbcs 9.2, so the grade drop was a tad unfortunate but such is life ☹️.

He worked with me on the price though which I felt was a fair one, even with the grade drop that I assumed could happen.

1E9B4941-E830-45C1-BDC6-70127298DF6D.jpeg

Remember - you're buying the book and not the grade so regardless of what number's at the top - you got the book!  

10 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

Remember - you're buying the book and not the grade so regardless of what number's at the top - you got the book!  

Very true!

However, I lost a lot of points for my registry set due to the drop 😭. Is it bad that’s actually what hurt me the most? 😁