• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is It Safe In Here?
1 1

44 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

We can't do it. Sorry. Some have shown they can't think of others with their behavior and sacrificing for others.

I agree 100%. Many people are too narcissistic to care about the rest of us.

And people don't shut  the :censored: up in theaters anymore or get off their :censored:phones.

The last movie I saw in the theater was Rise of Skywalker, so that pretty much had ruined me on movie theaters anyway.

Kidding, just need to dog that tripe whenever possible.

I would go back for a flick that I’d really like to see.  I personally don’t worry much about the COVID for myself, but I still follow all mask and distance guidelines out of respect for those who are worried (it’s really not that difficult all you nay sayers out there :makepoint:).  Plus I guess I’m used to being around dim wits anyway, attend enough cons and you get that way.

9 hours ago, The Brain said:

Would you and or your family feel safe

going into a movie theater any  time soon?

No. In the U.K. it isn’t remotely safe.

The other day in a clothes shop, someone scraped straight up against the side of me, I pointed out lack of social distancing, and he then threatened to ‘kick my * head in if I told him what to do again’.

It’s a tough neighbourhood.

Elsewhere, the common attitude seems to be one of obliviousness, unless there’s a degree of enforcement, such as in stores or Uber taxis.

I would imagine a cinema auditorium would be difficult to efficiently disinfect.  Home viewing for me.

Edited by Ken Aldred

5 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

I had a heart transplant and have a compromised immune system. So definitely no. 

I’ve been concerned about this, pal.

17 hours ago, D84 said:

I agree 100%. Many people are too narcissistic to care about the rest of us.

Certainly there’s a lack of empathy, of conscience, of concern, about the unpredictable, injurious effects on others.

The behaviour I observe in my country saddens me.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I think in general it will be safe to be in a movie theater that takes proper precautions in creating some type of cleaner environment AND enforcing social distancing but here's my take:

I won't be going to the movie theater any time soon.   For my wife, daughter and I to go we are spending around $50 every time.  I don't know many movies that are worth for me to spend $50 on and that price is just too high.

Enjoying the past few months watching movies at home on my 65" 4K TV with a surround sound system in my great room already gives me an excellent movie watching experience in the comfort of my own home to pause whenever and eat our own food without overspending on concessions.  Your mileage will vary but spending money on your own home setup compared to spending money on movie tickets is really the smartest bang for your buck.

I do like the movie theater experience but thinking back on how much money we've spent on subpar movies doesn't make it a favorable choice to go to the movies and the Coronavirus is far down the list on why I won't be going any time soon.  Movies are already releasing within a few months (sometimes sooner) and I can find other movies, TV shows or in general things to do than to rush to watch a brand new movie.  

The pandemic only reinforced what I already knew and made it normal to not go to the movies.

I just wonder, can an auditorium be efficiently sanitised in the short period between screenings?

The virus is supposed to remain active on surfaces for around 72 hours.

I remain unconvinced.

Yes, I am OCD.

7 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

Enjoying the past few months watching movies at home on my 65" 4K TV with a surround sound system in my great room already gives me an excellent movie watching experience in the comfort of my own home to pause whenever

Yup. It's far better for me to watch in 20 or 30 minute sections, to pay the maximum attention possible to what's going on and to the dialogue.  This was made clear to me recently when I watched the Apocalypse Now Final Cut on TV, an approach which worked really well, allowing me to be able to appreciate the greatness of a very long and often very slow-paced film.

Even with fast-paced, CGI-dominated films, when I watch them at the cinema, power napping is common for me. I'm getting old.

Edited by Ken Aldred

7 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I just wonder, can an auditorium be efficiently sanitised in the short period between screenings?

The virus is supposed to remain active on surfaces for around 72 hours.

I remain unconvinced.

Yes, I am OCD.

I'm right with you. Though theaters are trying to convince everyone they are going above and beyond to cleanse the facilities and protect everyone from COVID.

But even with that, I can't do it. Not yet.

I think I pretty much decided last year that I was done with seeing movies in theaters. 

That’s not a decision I came to lightly. We only got see movies in theaters once, maybe twice when I was growing. I have very found memories of seeing movies in the theater...Superman, Star Wars, ET.  And some deep regrets about movies I missed in the theater...Raider of the Lost Ark, Star Trek: TMP.  I was a big believer in the magic of the theater experience. 

But the last movie I saw in the theater -going to Endgame a second time so my wife could see it - was the worst experience I’ve had and by the second act I decided I was done paying money for this. 

I don’t expect people to sit in stone-cold silence, but the two pot heads behind us who kept up the constant Captain Obvious commentary “he said that hehehheh owww she did that hehehehe”, the family in front who brought the 4-year old who was having a bad day and who would start screaming every time there was something slightly noisy in the movie - which, during Endgame, is quite often - and the parents refused to take the screaming kid out of the auditorium because, you know, THEY might miss something, and the family directly in front of us who kept blinding us with the light from their cell phones, and I’m not just talking the millennial brats in the family, the parents - who were my age and should know better - were doing the same thing. 

They completely ruined the movie for my wife and I, that was $20 down the drain. 

I can only imagine how these navel-gazing nit-wits are handling COVID guidelines. 

And to be perfectly frank, I don’t think studios are really turning out worthwhile product to justify making the effort, let alone putting my health at risk. 

Having said all that....

Dune seems to be the one movie that may get me to break my conviction. But even then, I’m not going to try and go opening weekend. I think I’m going to try and get off work early the Tuesday the week following it’s release and catch a noon showing.  Hopefully I’ll have the theater mostly to myself and/or won’t have to deal with too many idjiots. 

I know my wife is going to want us to go see the the new Bond movie in the theater but I’m going to see if I can talk her out of that one. 

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

Yup. It's far better for me to watch in 20 or 30 minute sections, to pay the maximum attention possible to what's going on and to the dialogue.  This was made clear to me recently when I watched the Apocalypse Now Final Cut on TV, an approach which worked really well, allowing me to be able to appreciate the greatness of a very long and often very slow-paced film.

Even with fast-paced, CGI-dominated films, when I watch them at the cinema, power napping is common for me. I'm getting old.

The pause button also helps when you're having beers during the movie.  I always end up missing a few minutes in the theater.

1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

I think I pretty much decided last year that I was done with seeing movies in theaters. 

That’s not a decision I came to lightly. We only got see movies in theaters once, maybe twice when I was growing. I have very found memories of seeing movies in the theater...Superman, Star Wars, ET.  And some deep regrets about movies I missed in the theater...Raider of the Lost Ark, Star Trek: TMP.  I was a big believer in the magic of the theater experience. 

But the last movie I saw in the theater -going to Endgame a second time so my wife could see it - was the worst experience I’ve had and by the second act I decided I was done paying money for this. 

I don’t expect people to sit in stone-cold silence, but the two pot heads behind us who kept up the constant Captain Obvious commentary “he said that hehehheh owww she did that hehehehe”, the family in front who brought the 4-year old who was having a bad day and who would start screaming every time there was something slightly noisy in the movie - which, during Endgame, is quite often - and the parents refused to take the screaming kid out of the auditorium because, you know, THEY might miss something, and the family directly in front of us who kept blinding us with the light from their cell phones, and I’m not just talking the millennial brats in the family, the parents - who were my age and should know better - were doing the same thing. 

They completely ruined the movie for my wife and I, that was $20 down the drain. 

I can only imagine how these navel-gazing nit-wits are handling COVID guidelines. 

And to be perfectly frank, I don’t think studios are really turning out worthwhile product to justify making the effort, let alone putting my health at risk. 

Having said all that....

Dune seems to be the one movie that may get me to break my conviction. But even then, I’m not going to try and go opening weekend. I think I’m going to try and get off work early the Tuesday the week following it’s release and catch a noon showing.  Hopefully I’ll have the theater mostly to myself and/or won’t have to deal with too many idjiots. 

I know my wife is going to want us to go see the the new Bond movie in the theater but I’m going to see if I can talk her out of that one. 

I agree completely. Especially about Dune.

2 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Likewise, the only one that was tempting to me, but a more complex story that might be absorbed better in short intervals on Blu-Ray or streamed.

Endgame was packed out for ages at the cinema I go to, and I waited a while, eventually watching it in the late morning in a largish,  completely empty auditorium.  Still had a power nap during part of the time-travelling sequence, though.

Edited by Ken Aldred

18 hours ago, Number 6 said:

This reminds me of a couple of experiences I've had as well that I could've added to my earlier post. 

My wife and I along with our 10 year old daughter went to see Into the Spiderverse and throughout the first 30 minutes or so there were teenagers being loud throughout and one of them kept asking "whos that, whats going on".  It finally got to a point (of course an emotional point in the movie) when they were talking and I'm a mild mannered person but I saw my wife look over at them and shes even more mild mannered than me which annoyed the hell out of me even more so I yelled at them "ENOUGH ALREADY".  Luckily, they shut up the rest of the film.  Our 10 year old was quiet throughout and loved it while teenagers didn't know how to behave.

It's definitely not an age or generational thing either as my wife's cousin who's about the same age as me always says she wants to watch a movie and then spends 95% on her phone and always accidentally clicks a video that blasts sound during the movie.  I've told my wife I am never watching a good movie with her around.  Only movies we've already seen or those movies we know we'd never watch on our own because they are terrible.

So add rude and inconsiderate people to the list of why not to go to the movies.

The problem with movie theaters is your are going with the public.
There is no supervision its mostly kids running the theater. 

So once inawhile you are going to get some :censored: that arent going
to do the simple things to keep people safe or let them enjoy the 
movie. Its no different then going a theme park I think just smaller.