• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$30k Book’s Tracking Hasn’t Updated for 5 Days, How Long is Reasonable to not be Upset?
3 3

43 posts in this topic

I am awaiting a shipment of a $30k book from a major seller/auction house.  It was put into the usps system 6 days ago and supposed to be 2-3 day mail. (We both acknowledged it shouldn’t have been sent that way but it’s too late to change).  It has been showing:  

Shipment Received, Package Acceptance Pending

since it was shipped on August 12th.  Today is the 5th business day in transit with no update.  Typical transit time for priority mail between the shipping place and me receiving the book has been 2 days in the past.  How long is reasonable to wait for them to make me whole or find out what happened to the book and where it is.  I know the post office is having issues but no updates and no book have me worried.  

I would call USPS. 

I had a book mistakenly sent to my old address in another state. It took a while to get someone on the phone,  but I was able to locate the book.

Then I called that location and drove up to get it just to avoid any additional complications. 

3 minutes ago, lpsunburst said:

It looks like the label has been generated but the package has not been received by the post office yet. No need to panic yet, its probably with a batch waiting to be dropped at the PO.

I’ve talked to them several times. It definitely was definitely dropped off at the post office on August 12th. 

1 hour ago, Daveb25 said:

Let me modify that and say they told me it has definitely been dropped off at the post office by their lead shipping person.  

I shipped a big book to rehnart park registered usps on 7/6. That’s near you, right? Same deal as yours - supposed to be 2 to 3 days delivery. It took 10. It arrived 7/16.

i understand your concern, but I think it’s just slow

I'm currently waiting on a book. It was shipped 8/5. Moved every day until 8/8, when it said left Chicago on the way to destination, delivery date 8/12. 8/9 said in transit. 8/10 in transit. 8/11 in transit. 8/12 in transit in the morning, changed to in transit-arriving late that evening. 8/13 nothing. 8/14 nothing. 8/15 nothing. 8/16 nothing. 8/17 nothing during the day, then arrived in Miami that evening. 8/18 arrived at my local post office. Set for delivery tomorrow. We shall see!

A 30K book sent by USPS  :facepalm:

If you had zero input/communication on the delivery method and are the buyer, I would put the onus on the shipper to produce a solution. I know you really want the book, but usually books stuck in that status in my experience have never shown up, just my 2c

Check into the insurance company as well, sounds like maybe employee theft? There's a lot of attorneys on here as well :gossip:

I'm sorry for you this happens :tonofbricks:

9 hours ago, Daveb25 said:

I’ve talked to them several times. It definitely was definitely dropped off at the post office on August 12th. 

Being dropped off at the post office does not mean that A) it was scanned already and B) that it isn't in transit and someone at the post office missed the scan.  Both situations happen often but I understand your concern with that amount of value in the books.  USPS service right now is very backlogged.

10 hours ago, Daveb25 said:

I am awaiting a shipment of a $30k book from a major seller/auction house.  It was put into the usps system 6 days ago and supposed to be 2-3 day mail. (We both acknowledged it shouldn’t have been sent that way but it’s too late to change).  It has been showing:  

Shipment Received, Package Acceptance Pending

since it was shipped on August 12th.  Today is the 5th business day in transit with no update.  Typical transit time for priority mail between the shipping place and me receiving the book has been 2 days in the past.  How long is reasonable to wait for them to make me whole or find out what happened to the book and where it is.  I know the post office is having issues but no updates and no book have me worried.  

Try not to worry. I know it is extremely frustrating because I had the exact same thing happen a few weeks ago. The package was pending for about a week before it finally moved out. But it eventually arrived - and in perfect shape.

9 hours ago, Daveb25 said:

Let me modify that and say they told me it has definitely been dropped off at the post office by their lead shipping person.  

I've been doing dropoff at my PO for years at a separate location than front counter and packages have been scanned in a timely fashion(within hours).  A few months ago I had to stop doing this and take packages to front counter for immediate scanning as some packages had been taking up to a week to get scanned into the system due to a shortage of personnel.  Even doing that there would be instances where a scanned package would show no movement and get delivered and all scanning info got backfilled.  I also found that packages dropped off into the APC dropoff boxes were not getting scanned before heading to distribution area.

If package did get "dropped off" instead of immediately scanned then I would give it some time to resolve, despite all the glitches USPS has had in the past few months I would have confidence it shows up.

For a $30k book, I would probably ship it USPS Registered Mail, although I'd sure bite my nails while it was in transit.

Much above that, though, and the other logistics companies do have specialty high-value services. I'm only personally familiar with the UPS options, but I know FedEx has corresponding equivalents. For UPS, it's a semi-separate department called Express Critical that you have to contact directly. Secure transport moves packages by bonded private courier and (usually) the UPS private airline and will probably run you in the $750-1000 range depending on distance involved. If that's not good enough, they offer a Hand Carry service that does exactly what it sounds like. A courier takes the package and physically holds it all the way to the destination. That's not financially feasible for a $30k book (it'll run you a few thousand), but if I ever have to move a $300k book, it's sure something I'd consider.

In any case, with this shipment, it'll probably turn up and get moving, but you should definitely start an inquiry with USPS; that often encourages them to deal with the backlog. Although right now, well... they're clearly doing what they can given the, ahem, circumstances.