• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can anyone identify these?
2 2

33 posts in this topic

I found these in a collection I had recently purchased and from what I can tell, they are Italian but I couldn't find the numbers or title in order to look them up. I had checked the interior cover and first page but all I had found was "Top Sellers" with no numbers. I know its not much to work with but aside from the Top Sellers info, the interior wasn't much help to me. Maybe it's just me and I'm overtired since I've been bagging and boarding books for over 14 hours straight. zzz Any help identifying them would be great.  Thank you in advance. 

daffy  elmer.jpg

daffy tuba.jpg

bugs.jpg

Edited by Timeless icons

37 minutes ago, Timeless icons said:

I found these in a collection I had recently purchased and from what I can tell, they are Italian but I couldn't find the numbers or title in order to look them up. I had checked the interior cover and first page but all I had found was "Top Sellers" with no numbers. I know its not much to work with but aside from the Top Sellers info, the interior wasn't much help to me. Maybe it's just me and I'm overtired since I've been bagging and boarding books for over 14 hours straight. zzz Any help identifying them would be great.  Thank you in advance. 

daffy  elmer.jpg

daffy tuba.jpg

bugs.jpg

This probably isn't a lot of help... but the Daffy Duck covers are originally from the Dell issues #26 and #27, from 1961.  But, if you consider the different logo and the obvious editing out of the Gold Key/Whitman logo in the upper left corner, they're more likely taken from when the covers were reprinted in the Gold Key Daffy Duck issues #62 and #64, from 1970.  Similarly, the Bugs Bunny cover was originally from Dell Bugs Bunny #68, but is more likely from #131 from 1970 as well.  So the books are probably very early 70's.

2 minutes ago, rakehell said:

They're British. The 6p is the giveaway. Top Sellers is an imprint of UK publisher Thorpe & Porter. They mostly did UK editions of US titles in the 60's & 70's, like these Gold Keys.

A quick scan of the Grand Comics Database brought these up -

934155.jpg.e4df2091eb459c177751aedde7ff2463.jpg

862291.jpg.f9e1e898c107c12b74ec9d4944d812c7.jpg

934149.jpg.aaaa867f4cb1c1f692eb718da6e7fe1a.jpg

The Daffy Ducks above are #s 1 and 4, yours might be 2 & 3 (there are a lot of gaps in their database).

Both of these series are listed as 1972 & yours look like they fit right in.

Hope this helps. (thumbsu

If they're T & P books... Paging @Get Marwood & I, although it doesn't look like they've been around for a couple weeks.

A good  rule is to remember is that the UK chaged from the old style coinage in 1971. Thus the old "d" symbol became the new "p" symbol. So yes the comics are early 70s. I too have been wondering as to the whereabouts of Marwood.

Edited by Redshade

7 hours ago, rakehell said:

They're British. The 6p is the giveaway. Top Sellers is an imprint of UK publisher Thorpe & Porter. They mostly did UK editions of US titles in the 60's & 70's, like these Gold Keys.

A quick scan of the Grand Comics Database brought these up -

934155.jpg.e4df2091eb459c177751aedde7ff2463.jpg

862291.jpg.f9e1e898c107c12b74ec9d4944d812c7.jpg

934149.jpg.aaaa867f4cb1c1f692eb718da6e7fe1a.jpg

The Daffy Ducks above are #s 1 and 4, yours might be 2 & 3 (there are a lot of gaps in their database).

Both of these series are listed as 1972 & yours look like they fit right in.

Hope this helps. (thumbsu

That's a big help. At least I have a starting point as to where to go. They were actually marked Italian on the original bags they were in so I didn't even think much of it and moved on. I think they were marked as Italy because it says "printed in Italy" inside so the seller assumed it to be an Italian copy. I've seen pence copies of comics here and there but never owned any until now. There were several marvel books in this collection that are apparently U.K copies since they have the same monetary mark on them. Thank you. (thumbsu

Edited by Timeless icons

7 hours ago, OtherEric said:

This probably isn't a lot of help... but the Daffy Duck covers are originally from the Dell issues #26 and #27, from 1961.  But, if you consider the different logo and the obvious editing out of the Gold Key/Whitman logo in the upper left corner, they're more likely taken from when the covers were reprinted in the Gold Key Daffy Duck issues #62 and #64, from 1970.  Similarly, the Bugs Bunny cover was originally from Dell Bugs Bunny #68, but is more likely from #131 from 1970 as well.  So the books are probably very early 70's.

Any suggestions or info is a lot of help so thanks just the same. 

5 hours ago, Redshade said:

A good  rule is to remember is that the UK chaged from the old style coinage in 1971. Thus the old "d" symbol became the new "p" symbol. So yes the comics are early 70s. I too have been wondering as to the whereabouts of Marwood.

I'll be sure to make a note of that. :headbang:

16 hours ago, Timeless icons said:

There were several marvel books in this collection that are apparently U.K copies since they have the same monetary mark on them. 

Pictures, please. :popcorn:

16 hours ago, Timeless icons said:

I've seen pence copies of comics here and there but never owned any until now.

I love foreign stuff in general & pence comics in particular. The ones you have above are UK Editions rather than UK Pence Price Variants. By way of example...

1269528739_daffytuba.thumb.jpg.9b727fbb5a5d95a65dfd2a57e6b57a9b.jpg.16d4c158cad5c2b8ed5cde58b6a72276.jpgYou can see the differences between yours...

100140.jpg.9f04c8e5186735a5c6a2b82feab50628.jpg...and this. This is #62 of the GK series from March, 1970.

Probably a 2 year gap between the original US comic & the Italian printed UK Edition.

These, on the other hand...206394.jpg.31d73eaa7f0fa89734c08c1c53578f48.jpg1131323.jpg.2f469a7c781cbc345d27a9b7043b0bdc.jpg

came off the same press at the same time.

It's a very deep rabbit hole...:cloud9:

6 hours ago, rakehell said:

Pictures, please. :popcorn:

I love foreign stuff in general & pence comics in particular. The ones you have above are UK Editions rather than UK Pence Price Variants. By way of example...

1269528739_daffytuba.thumb.jpg.9b727fbb5a5d95a65dfd2a57e6b57a9b.jpg.16d4c158cad5c2b8ed5cde58b6a72276.jpgYou can see the differences between yours...

100140.jpg.9f04c8e5186735a5c6a2b82feab50628.jpg...and this. This is #62 of the GK series from March, 1970.

Probably a 2 year gap between the original US comic & the Italian printed UK Edition.

These, on the other hand...206394.jpg.31d73eaa7f0fa89734c08c1c53578f48.jpg1131323.jpg.2f469a7c781cbc345d27a9b7043b0bdc.jpg

came off the same press at the same time.

It's a very deep rabbit hole...:cloud9:

I see. Thanks for pointing out the difference. Now I'm not sure what the ones in this collection are. lol I believe they were Power Man or Power Man and Iron Fist issues. I'm about 1/3 the way through putting fresh bags and boards and mylars on most of them but once I go through them again and start the alphabetic order placement, I'll pull them aside and snap off a few pics of what I find. There's 6,500 books to go through. Some really nice Disney books from 1960 GK too. Might be a few variants in there as well. Mostly Donald and Scrooge from what I recall. Should be within the next week. (thumbsu 

13 minutes ago, Redshade said:

I second the request for pictures.

A deep rabbit hole??? My oh my it's bottomless.

I'll see what I can dig up. I'm not certain on conditions or even what issues are here but I'll certainly post them. Let me see if I can dig them out now rather than later. It will take a bit but I'll post what I find. (thumbsu

12 hours ago, rakehell said:

Pictures, please. :popcorn:I love foreign stuff in general & pence comics in particular. The ones you have above are UK Editions rather than UK Pence Price Variants. By way of example...

1 hour ago, Redshade said:

I second the request for pictures.

A deep rabbit hole??? My oh my it's bottomless.

I looked through quite a bit of what has already been bagged and boarded. I've found these two so far. If I find more, I'll eventually post them. Not entirely sure about the Disney book since I haven't researched it yet but I'm pretty sure there were a few more Power Man price variants even though I haven't located them yet. 

20200820_155952_resized.jpg

20200820_160103_resized.jpg

I don't know anything about Luke Cage as by the 70s I had stopped buying comics. There is a Luke Cage wikipedia page which may be of use and the aforementioned Marwood and I has a very interesting thread on Marvel UK Price Variants although I don't know how to do "links" very well.

Edit Looking through my Overstreet I see that the Character fisrt appeared in a title called "Hero for Hire" dated June 1972. The title ran under this name for 16 issues. It was renamed "Power Man" from issue 17 until the last issue 125 in 1986.

Edited by Redshade

I don't know anything about Luke Cage as by the 70s I had stopped buying comics. There is a Luke Cage wikipedia page which may be of use and the aforementioned Marwood and I has a very interesting thread on Marvel UK Price Variants although I don't know how to do "links" very well.

Edit Looking through my Overstreet I see that the Character fisrt appeared in a title called "Hero for Hire" dated June 1972. The title ran under this name for 16 issues. It was renamed "Power Man" from issue 17 until the last issue 125 in 1986.

Ahh Thanks. I'm familiar with Cage and if you haven't watched it, the Marvel TV show "Luke Cage" on Netflix was really good too. I'll have to look up that thread you had mentioned about UK price variants. 

2 hours ago, Timeless icons said:

I looked through quite a bit of what has already been bagged and boarded. I've found these two so far. If I find more, I'll eventually post them. Not entirely sure about the Disney book since I haven't researched it yet but I'm pretty sure there were a few more Power Man price variants even though I haven't located them yet. 

20200820_160103_resized.jpg

The Disney comic being printed in Rupees (thank you Google) is an Indian publication. Very interesting. A lot of Indian comics were I believe printed in many languages extant on the Indian Subcontinent. Gujerati, Urdu, Hindi etc as well as English. That would be a fascinating series to research when one is retired and has plenty of time on one's hands.

Edited by Redshade

1 minute ago, Redshade said:

The Disney comic being printed in Rupees (thank you Google) is an Indian publication. Very interesting. A lot of Indian comics were I believe printed in many languages extant on the Indian Subcontinent. Gujerati, Urdu, Hindi etc as well as English. That would be a fascinating series to research when one is retired and have plenty of time on one's hands.

That's an interesting find! I wonder what else is in these boxeshm

2 hours ago, Timeless icons said:

That's an interesting find! I wonder what else is in these boxeshm

So do we my friend . This what these sites are for. Show us what you've got. Although the researchers will probably be more interested in the indicias as much as the front covers. (This hobby never fails to amaze me, but I doubt that any one is interested in back cover ads). Show me otherwise.:bigsmile:

So do we my friend . This what these sites are for. Show us what you've got. Although the researchers will probably be more interested in the indicias as much as the front covers. (This hobby never fails to amaze me, but I doubt that any one is interested in back cover ads). Show me otherwise.:bigsmile:

That's kind of funny because I was actually thinking when going through all the different years of books, that I like the ads on back covers! lol Here's a Superboy # 53 pulled from the collection with an ad that I would have been crazy for as a kid. :cloud9:

20200820_231349~2_resized.jpg

20200820_231421~2_resized.jpg

1 hour ago, Timeless icons said:

That's kind of funny because I was actually thinking when going through all the different years of books, that I like the ads on back covers! lol Here's a Superboy # 53 pulled from the collection with an ad that I would have been crazy for as a kid. :cloud9:

20200820_231349~2_resized.jpg

20200820_231421~2_resized.jpg

Oh! As a child in the 60s how those ads used to tantalise us in the UK with things that we just couldn't buy in England. Air rifles!!! Oh if only, and those sets of tiny plastic soldiers. And what were tootsie rolls and Cheerios? And all those ads where one had to sell merchandise " to friends and family and neighbours (wtf was Grit?)". Oh what great things were they just out of our reach? I wanted that bike, and oh that walkie talkie set and to be able to sell greetings cards and to be able to make lots of money . And the subscription ads in the indicias : Send  this amount of money to this US address for a year's subscription "How do we do this Dad?".

Edited by Redshade