• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Artist that you would buy a lot more of if available
1 1

57 posts in this topic

Interesting to know which artist you would buy a lot more artwork, at current prices, if they became available.

You can tailor it to individual characters or books, but in general, when a piece of art comes up (dealers site, auction, etc.) you pretty much have little to no issue with the cost and will buy that piece. Your not buying it for investments purposes as much as to you, the work is undervalued compared to other art that you buy.

I'll start off:

Dan Brereton art for DC or Marvel. Yes, he has a lot of pin-ups out there and did Nocturnals (which is his characters), but I only want his Red Sonja, Legends of the Worlds Finest, Seven Caskets, etc. work. About two years ago I picked up this piece in a ComicLink auction for less than $400. If ten more pieces came available from this book for anywhere near this price, I would own them all. Covers by him usual sell for less than $2k. I think because his work is in color, it doesn't fit in with most Comic Book art collection, but I love it (especially at current prices).

1236774687_BreretonDan-LegendsoftheWorldsFinest2pg_45.thumb.jpg.203fedd05da3387ce1d217c1b3466875.jpg

39 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Would love to see more John Bolton artwork available from Black Dragon and Classic X-Men

McFarlane Spiderman.  ‘Nuff said!

But would you be a buyer of a lot of that art at current prices? The idea of the topic is that to you, the prices that the art is selling for now, seems like a bargain (relative to other artist that you collect). And it would need to be something where you would want to purchase multiple pieces. Think of it as "who do you think is undervalued, but there isn't enough supply to fill YOUR demand". Everybody has artist that they think are undervalued, but if their art is readily available (dealer sites, auctions, etc.) that artist doesn't really count for this topic.

1 hour ago, sfilosa said:

But would you be a buyer of a lot of that art at current prices? The idea of the topic is that to you, the prices that the art is selling for now, seems like a bargain (relative to other artist that you collect). And it would need to be something where you would want to purchase multiple pieces. Think of it as "who do you think is undervalued, but there isn't enough supply to fill YOUR demand". Everybody has artist that they think are undervalued, but if their art is readily available (dealer sites, auctions, etc.) that artist doesn't really count for this topic.

I don’t think either Bolton or McFarlane are undervalued presently, and yes, I would buy multiples

2 hours ago, grapeape said:

Tradd Moore SSB

I too would like pages from him, but they aren't undervalued. Maybe Felix sold them to cheaply on the last drop, but the real market is significantly higher. I was offered an older one for $6k (which was more than I was willing to pay). It was late at night and I missed the email and it was sold by the morning at that price.

Maybe the best way to explain this topic is that if five pieces were in a Heritage or ComicLink auction, do you think you would win them all? One, that would mean you really want a lot of pieces from this artist (not just a specific cover or piece) and two, you value them more than anyone else out there (or at least it seems you value them more).

If you look at my CAF gallery, I collect Joe Jusko's Tomb Raider: The Greatest Treasure of All pages (a one shot book). To me, the art is incredible and you will see that Joe has commented on the pages several times saying this is the work he is most proud of. On Heritage, I had made an offer on two pages four or five months ago. The person did not accept my offer, but about a week later, both pages showed up on eBay with reserves several hundred dollars less than my offer. The seller made it clear that he would not end the auction early. So I bid the reserve and near the end of the auctions, I bid a lot more than the reserve for these two pieces. I won them for the reserve, as no one else bid. Hence, I value pages from this book higher than anyone else. I then purchased five more pieces from a UK Seller that was a logistical nightmare for much more per page than the two I just purchased.

All that said grapeape, if you are willing to pay say $15k a page for Tradd Moore SSB pages, than I would agree that you value them more than anyone else especially if you would buy as many pieces as available (up to your financial limit).

Edited by sfilosa

2 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

Gabriel Rodríguez Locke & Key.

Had to look that up as I didn't know what it was. What is the price range for this work when it is available? Don't worry, I'm not going to buy any.

3 minutes ago, sfilosa said:

Had to look that up as I didn't know what it was. What is the price range for this work when it is available? Don't worry, I'm not going to buy any.

Couldn't say. I think a few pages here and there have been let out into the world but I believe he has held on to the art. I haven't looked hard since before the Netflix adaptation so I guess it is possible someone may come along and say something changed.

1 hour ago, sfilosa said:

I too would like pages from him, but they aren't undervalued. Maybe Felix sold them to cheaply on the last drop, but the real market is significantly higher. I was offered an older one for $6k (which was more than I was willing to pay). It was late at night and I missed the email and it was sold by the morning at that price.

Maybe the best way to explain this topic is that if five pieces were in a Heritage or ComicLink auction, do you think you would win them all? One, that would mean you really want a lot of pieces from this artist (not just a specific cover or piece) and two, you value them more than anyone else out there (or at least it seems you value them more).

If you look at my CAF gallery, I collect Joe Jusko's Tomb Raider: The Greatest Treasure of All pages (a one shot book). To me, the art is incredible and you will see that Joe has commented on the pages several times saying this is the work he is most proud of. On Heritage, I had made an offer on two pages four or five months ago. The person did not accept my offer, but about a week later, both pages showed up on eBay with reserves several hundred dollars less than my offer. The seller made it clear that he would not end the auction early. So I bid the reserve and near the end of the auctions, I bid a lot more than the reserve for these two pieces. I won them for the reserve, as no one else bid. Hence, I value pages from this book higher than anyone else. I then purchased five more pieces from a UK Seller that was a logistical nightmare for much more per page than the two I just purchased.

All that said grapeape, if you are willing to pay say $15k a page for Tradd Moore SSB pages, than I would agree that you value them more than anyone else especially if you would buy as many pieces as available (up to your financial limit).

I had a full book SSB in mind....

So Felix, Tradd how about SSB 6 or a 200 page one shot annual?

Those who don’t have a page just cheered like madmen. 

Those who just paid ransom post July 25 auction groaned. I also take partial blame for 

1) starting that Tradd SSB July 25 thread

2) privately offering double + or more to owners whose pages I was aware of.

Edited by grapeape

3 hours ago, grapeape said:

Erik Larsen ASM pages 

One fella sold 3 pages out of an ASM book on eBay a few years back. I thought I would get them for $2-$3k tops but I was way short. If multiple pages of a sequence came up 3-5 pages I would go full out to win them all.

Edited by grapeape

3 hours ago, Noob19 said:

Ron Frenz ASM pages for me. I rarely see them for sale.

I used to own a few from early in his run when his art resembled Ditko's style, and they were great.  Definitely hard to come by, but the later Frenz ASM's, where is style changed to resemble Sal Buscema's style are a bit easier to come by.