• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who Here Slabbs Non Comic Magazines??
1 1

24 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, KnottyDread said:

I see a lot of the sports related and playboy magazines slabbed but lets see your pics of "other" magazine slabs. Maybe an old Fishing magazine or Car magazine? Who here does this as I have some ready to go and looking to build on it strong.

Unfortunately, they don't just accept any magazine for encapsulation.  Somewhere, there's a list but off the top of my head, they certify the following non-comic magazines (please, anyone, feel free to add or edit):

-Sports Illustrated

-Playboy

-Famous Monsters

-National Lampoon

-Most Men's Adventure magazines

There's a few others but it's not that long of a list.

From the grading page:

CGC grades most magazines that fit within the following dimensions: 11-1/2" tall x 8-7/8" wide x 1/2" thick (except magazines with hard covers or jeweled covers). These titles include (but are not limited to) Sports Illustrated, Playboy, Time, Newsweek, Reader’s Digest and TV Guide, as well as comic magazines.

So, if there were categorical restrictions, looks like there are not now. No National Geographic due to thickness (and because most issues are fundamentally worthless), I think, but most anything else, if you're so inclined.

54 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

Unfortunately, they don't just accept any magazine for encapsulation.  Somewhere, there's a list but off the top of my head, they certify the following non-comic magazines (please, anyone, feel free to add or edit):

-Sports Illustrated

-Playboy

-Famous Monsters

-National Lampoon

-Most Men's Adventure magazines

There's a few others but it's not that long of a list.

A somewhat tangential question, since I'm looking at slabbing one of my NatLamps:  What documentation do I need if I'm trying to submit something as a pedigree?  I have a NatLamp from the John G. Fantucchio collection, but I only know that from the original sales listing at MyComicShop.  I could print out the original listing, since MCS keeps those available.

1 minute ago, OtherEric said:

A somewhat tangential question, since I'm looking at slabbing one of my NatLamps:  What documentation do I need if I'm trying to submit something as a pedigree?  I have a NatLamp from the John G. Fantucchio collection, but I only know that from the original sales listing at MyComicShop.  I could print out the original listing, since MCS keeps those available.

I have no idea how they verify these things (they've definitely gotten a few pedigrees wrong).  But this sounds like the best you can do.

12 hours ago, KnottyDread said:

I see a lot of the sports related and playboy magazines slabbed but lets see your pics of "other" magazine slabs. Maybe an old Fishing magazine or Car magazine? Who here does this as I have some ready to go and looking to build on it strong.

I really enjoy seeing Time an Newsweek in a slab , I know they are not really slab worthy but they are neat to look at , also sports illustrated

46 minutes ago, FoggyNelson said:

I really enjoy seeing Time an Newsweek in a slab , I know they are not really slab worthy but they are neat to look at , also sports illustrated

Some of them certainly are. I'd happily take a high-grade copy of the 1931 Nikola Tesla cover or the 1939 Hitler Man of the Year issues of Time, just off the top of my head. Or the recalled Roger Staubach issue of Sports Illustrated, of course.

On 8/20/2020 at 10:01 AM, Qalyar said:

Some of them certainly are. I'd happily take a high-grade copy of the 1931 Nikola Tesla cover or the 1939 Hitler Man of the Year issues of Time, just off the top of my head. Or the recalled Roger Staubach issue of Sports Illustrated, of course.

Yes, they look great in a cgc slab‼️‼️Especially the old Time Magazines which always had a white cover, when they are higher grade they are so cool‼️‼️😷😷

The TV Guides are ok but not so much compared to the others like Time an SPort illustrated because TV Guide is smaller an it looks funny in the CGC cases with all that extra plastic surrounding it😷😷

I graded a bunch of Sports Illustrated magazines when CGC first started grading them. I sold almost all of them, keeping only the swimsuit editions. I'd should have kept some of the others though. Some of those 1960's painted covers were amazing. And some of the photography was iconic. Here's some of the swimsuit issues I still have.

SIv887CGC96.thumb.jpg.7717c78aeac8c63f081c89d86a47e489.jpg

SIv1067CGC96.thumb.jpg.4b89cd12d28811389fa6b2f71bf1bf40.jpg

SIv363CGC92.thumb.jpg.da18773fe716173148ba57e2a34771f5.jpg

On 8/19/2020 at 9:55 PM, Randall Dowling said:

I have no idea how they verify these things (they've definitely gotten a few pedigrees wrong).  But this sounds like the best you can do.

Having the COA or other written documentation is a good start, as well as being able to corroborate it from other sources. The book also has to fit into the known parameters of a given pedigree, and it also helps if the book exhibits certain telltale characteristics of that particular pedigree...