• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CBCS CAME BACK A WHOLE GRADE LOWER
2 2

133 posts in this topic

Hello, So I sent off My Batman #171 after it was signed to CBCS and It Came back a "6.0"    Just a month earlier it was graded by CGC and Came Back a "7.0" before it was professionaly cleaned... I asked CBCS what went wrong they said well there is a check mark here on the graded case that means they noticed something in the book??? No grader notes on the Website. The Book was still in the same shape as when it came back from CGC?   

CBCS reasoning, was well we grade them at a higher standard.... I laughed and said so what you're telling me is that I should strictly go to CGC because my comics will be more valuable?   She didn't know what to say?   Yes I know why did I go To CBCS... Because they are local and clearly I did not think this through...:cry:   What do you think went wrong? Besides the obvious?

Edited by J-KComics

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Can you clarify the order of events?

1. Graded by CGC.
  2. Cracked and signed.
  3. Cleaned/pressed.
  4. Graded by CBCS.

Is this correct?

1.Graded and Pressed by CGC

2. Cracked and Cleaned

3. Signed

4. Graded by CBCS

5 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Can you clarify the order of events?

1. Graded by CGC.
  2. Cracked and signed.
  3. Cleaned/pressed.
  4. Graded by CBCS.

Is this correct?

Just realized the Check Mark is A good Thing? I read it means it looks way better than the grade they gave it? 

3 minutes ago, J-KComics said:

1.Graded and Pressed by CGC

2. Cracked and Cleaned

3. Signed

4. Graded by CBCS

The only thing I would consider is that the signer damaged it. That should be noticeable to you, though, if it really went from a 7.0+ to a 6.0 grade.

1 minute ago, J-KComics said:

Just realized the Check Mark is A good Thing? I read it means it looks way better than the grade they gave it? 

The check mark is super dumb. It's as dumb as those CVA stickers. 2c

You can obviously see how nice the comic is. You don't need a check mark or sticker to tell you. lol

Any time you crack and resubmit (to either company), you are rolling the dice.  It gets a fresh look, different eyes on it.  Maybe the 7.0 was a generous grade, or the new graders saw something that the first ones missed, or gave more weight to some particular defect.

There will be notes to check, maybe just not posted yet.  All Voldy's books get notes to look up, or so they advertise.  Probably won't help much, as most notes from either company are a bit vague.

I thought the check mark was to indicate that the book presents better than the grade, inferring that there is something inside the book that causes the grade to drop.  That the cover doesn't seem to match the grade, so tipping you off that they are aware that the cover doesn't match the grade.  Like if the centerfold was loose, or the staple tips rusted, or foxing on the pages, etc.  Otherwise, you would look at the comic and say to yourself "this is way better than the grade I see" and fault the grading company.  But you don't see the whole story.

12 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

The check mark is super dumb. It's as dumb as those CVA stickers. 2c

You can obviously see how nice the comic is. You don't need a check mark or sticker to tell you. lol

Ya...pretty dumb.. 

17 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

The only thing I would consider is that the signer damaged it. That should be noticeable to you, though, if it really went from a 7.0+ to a 6.0 grade.

Ya.. I didn't notice anything on the book after he signed it looked the same to me.

35 minutes ago, J-KComics said:

Hello, So I sent off My Batman #171 after it was signed to CBCS and It Came back a "6.0"    Just a month earlier it was graded by CGC and Came Back a "7.0" before it was professionaly cleaned... I asked CBCS what went wrong they said well there is a check mark here on the graded case that means they noticed something in the book??? No grader notes on the Website. The Book was still in the same shape as when it came back from CGC?   

CBCS reasoning, was well we grade them at a higher standard.... I laughed and said so what you're telling me is that I should strictly go to CGC because my comics will be more valuable?   She didn't know what to say?   Yes I know why did I go To CBCS... Because they are local and clearly I did not think this through...:cry:   What do you think went wrong? Besides the obvious?

Why do you assume that CGC got it right when they graded it 7.0?

6 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

I didn't even realize the other guys had their own in-house CVA.  Just more nonsense for the market.  "Oh sure we only gave it a 6.0, but its a really nice 6.0!  Don't be mad at us. :foryou:"

Ya bunch of ..... The case is cracked as well. They are taking care of it and I said since this is an incovience I would like a boog graded for free. they said ok. Most likley will come back super low on purpose.. with a check marklol

5 minutes ago, shadroch said:

The check mark is nothing like a CVA sticker. A book with a check mark has a hidden defect you can't see while the book is in a slab. It's there so people don't buy a 6.0 book because it looks like a 7.0 and they think they can resubmit for a better grade. It's actually a very useful feature.

Where did you get this information? Nothing I read on the CBCS boards gave me this impression. Thanks in advance.

7 minutes ago, shadroch said:

The check mark is nothing like a CVA sticker. A book with a check mark has a hidden defect you can't see while the book is in a slab. It's there so people don't buy a 6.0 book because it looks like a 7.0 and they think they can resubmit for a better grade. It's actually a very useful feature.

The other guys already make their grader's notes free to anyone, do you really think anyone who already can't be bothered to take 2 minutes to look them up is going to be swayed by a check mark on the label?