• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CBCS CAME BACK A WHOLE GRADE LOWER
2 2

133 posts in this topic

There are actually grader notes on the website:

Notes:
signature(s) verified by BAS
spine tears & stress breaks color
corner creases right front cover breaks color & barely breaks color
10" vertical crease left back cover part barely breaks color near bottom
light creases bottom back cover edge does not break color

1 minute ago, jharvey said:

There are actually grader notes on the website:

Notes:
signature(s) verified by BAS
spine tears & stress breaks color
corner creases right front cover breaks color & barely breaks color
10" vertical crease left back cover part barely breaks color near bottom
light creases bottom back cover edge does not break color

Yes I read them.. 

Every book has a grade range that reasonable and knowledgable people would consider "accurate". Sometimes there is more of consensus on grade, sometimes there's a 3 grade range where opinions get fairly evenly distributed, and those opinions can shift with the individual as well. You could send it back to CGC and end up with a 7.0 again, or a 6.5 or a 6.0.

I will say a 10" crease, even on the back cover that doesn't break color, is usually going to warrant a grade less than 7.0 with most people, and I wouldn't count on getting such a grade from either CGC or CBCS on a resubmit. 

3 minutes ago, rjpb said:

Every book has a grade range that reasonable and knowledgable people would consider "accurate". Sometimes there is more of consensus on grade, sometimes there's a 3 grade range where opinions get fairly evenly distributed, and those opinions can shift with the individual as well. You could send it back to CGC and end up with a 7.0 again, or a 6.5 or a 6.0.

I will say a 10" crease, even on the back cover that doesn't break color, is usually going to warrant a grade less than 7.0 with most people, and I wouldn't count on getting such a grade from either CGC or CBCS on a resubmit. 

It happened to me once,  I bought Amazing Spider-man #11 CGC 7.0 - 1st generation label. First inspection before cracking the case, the book looked fine. After cracking the case, the water stain was found inside the cover. I could not see it on the black ink on the cover so after Stan Lee signed my book. I decided to use on-site grading and I knew the grade went down to about 5.5 or 6.0 next day but I got 6.5.

I don't understand what all the uproar is about.  If I bought this book in a CGC case and it had a 7.0 on it, I'd sell it as soon as possible.  It very much looks like a 6.0 to me.  No more, no less.  It looks to me like the OP assumed that the other company would grade no stricter than CGC and they were wrong.  Sure it's possible that it was damaged while being signed but I don't think that's very common.  It also may have been damaged being pressed (those staples look like they're now on the edge of popping).

The whole range from 4.0 to 7.0 is kind of a mess from CGC (and the other company as well).  I've seen a CGC 7.0 that looked super ugly and was less desirable than another copy that was graded a 4.0 by the other company (guess which one I purchased).  To the OP- I think you should stop buying and selling based on the number and start buying the book inside instead.  And when you play the CPR game, you get what you get.  2c

Edited by Randall Dowling
word omission

1 hour ago, Randall Dowling said:

I've seen a CGC 7.0 that looked super ugly and was less desirable than another copy that was graded a 4.0 by the other company (guess which one I purchased).  

The 7.0?

Also, damage during signing in terms of creasing is very common. We get a bunch of complaints on these boards about it. It's not necessarily the moment it was signed but the extra handling of the comic, especially when the book is not in a window bag to begin with. In this case, there was a whole bunch of operations done between it being in a CGC holder and a CBCS holder. The case was cracked, the comic was cleaned, and then signed. We have no clue how it was handled between those times and the method under which it was signed (window box or not). Loads of opportunity for a crease to occur. 

Edited by William-James88

On 8/20/2020 at 2:39 PM, shadroch said:

CVA is done by a different company at an additional fee, while the other is a courtesy from the grading company.

Exact same thing, no?

And one of them has properly examined the entire book, while the other just looked at the cover through multiple layers of plastic.

Edited by Lazyboy