• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CBCS CAME BACK A WHOLE GRADE LOWER
2 2

133 posts in this topic

On 8/20/2020 at 12:58 PM, William-James88 said:

Then it's impossible to know if CGC would have also done 6.0 if sent to them instead. You win some you lose some, I wouldn't blame either company for doing their job as professional graders.

Saying "CBCS came back 1 grade lower" is not a fair statement as you did not simply send a CGC comic to be regraded by CBCS. This is more along the lines of a comic doing down a grade after it was regraded after a signing, and more handling, which is very common. For all we know, the same result would have happened at CGC.

True.. I think I am going to send it to CGC to be regraded again. The book is in tooo nice of shape to be a 6.0... I am not sure what's better... opening it up and send it that way so they don't have anything to go off of? or Getting it regraded from the CBCS Slab? 

3 minutes ago, J-KComics said:

True.. I think I am going to send it to CGC to be regraded again. The book is in tooo nice of shape to be a 6.0... I am not sure what's better... opening it up and send it that way so they don't have anything to go off of? or Getting it regraded from the CBCS Slab? 

Your book would lose the yellow label if you have it cross graded, CGC doesn't recognize the other guys' witnessed signatures.

1 minute ago, mattn792 said:

Your book would lose the yellow label if you have it cross graded, CGC doesn't recognize the other guys' witnessed signatures.

Yes but the yellow label from cbcs is standard now. The signing  wasn't witnessed they just verified it. 

4 minutes ago, J-KComics said:

Thoughts on regrading ? 

I haven't followed this entire thread, so i apologize if this has been said. 

If you send it back to CGC for regrading, you lose the SS and end up with a qualified grade or lower grade because of the sig. 

If you resub through voldy, then you can keep the SS, but are gambling on the grade. I personally wouldn't do either and would enjoy it as is. But trust me, I understand the frustration. 

1 hour ago, J-KComics said:

I would not get this regraded by CGC since you then lose the verified signature and you end up in a green case which is not something I'd recomend getting.

What would be best is to send it back to CBCS and have them open it, press it and regrade it. Because if something did happen during the signing, maybe it could be undone with a press. And you could get back your 7.0 and keep your signature. And if not, then at least you tried.

It's a better option than the possibility of sending it to CGC and getting it back in a green label and 6.0 since there is no guarantee that it will come back 7.0 like it did before.

What's the price difference between a 6.0, 6.5, 7.0? Because your total cost one way or another would be $100 

9 hours ago, KCOComics said:

I haven't followed this entire thread, so i apologize if this has been said. 

If you send it back to CGC for regrading, you lose the SS and end up with a qualified grade or lower grade because of the sig. 

If you resub through voldy, then you can keep the SS, but are gambling on the grade. I personally wouldn't do either and would enjoy it as is. But trust me, I understand the frustration. 

It's not a witnessed signature. CBCS' yellow label is distributed for both witnessed and "verified" sigs nowadays. So, if resubmitted to CGC, they'd (likely) get a Qualified label.

It really depends on your intentions for grading. Selling: Does CGC Qualified get more money than CBCS Verified? For personal collection: What do you want more, the current CBCS grade, or a potentially higher grade from CGC?

On 8/20/2020 at 8:43 PM, Randall Dowling said:

I don't understand what all the uproar is about.  If I bought this book in a CGC case and it had a 7.0 on it, I'd sell it as soon as possible.  It very much looks like a 6.0 to me.  No more, no less.  It looks to me like the OP assumed that the other company would grade no stricter than CGC and they were wrong.  Sure it's possible that it was damaged while being signed but I don't think that's very common.  It also may have been damaged being pressed (those staples look like they're now on the edge of popping).

The whole range from 4.0 to 7.0 is kind of a mess from CGC (and the other company as well).  I've seen a CGC 7.0 that looked super ugly and was less desirable than another copy that was graded a 4.0 by the other company (guess which one I purchased).  To the OP- I think you should stop buying and selling based on the number and start buying the book inside instead.  And when you play the CPR game, you get what you get.  2c

Valid points raised here, Douglas...thank you for that.  

Some of your comments did trigger a couple of thoughts, however: 1)  The 4.0 - 7.0 grade range seems to be the one that most people have trouble with, and for good reason. A wide variety of flaws can exist on books in this range, and it can be a tough call to determine where a book lands. As far as the book in question, I see why it wound up where it did. A genuine 10" crease is a pretty serious flaw even if it's on the back cover and it barely breaks color.   2)  I've looked at a lot of Silver Age DC's, and one of the most common problems I've observed are staple pulls or "popped" staples. This even happens on books that haven't been pressed and are in otherwise fantastic condition. It's a very common problem, and I would advise people to use extreme caution when pressing any Silver Age DC's.  3)  Determining whether you want to purchase a given book should always be based on a number of factors. If the book is slabbed, I always appreciate reading the grading notes. And if it's a pricey purchase, I take into account everything about the book before I pull the trigger. Simply put, try to get the most bang for your buck. As Marshall Matt Dillon used to say: "Don't be a fool..."  :foryou:

3 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

Valid points raised here, Douglas...thank you for that.  

Some of your comments did trigger a couple of thoughts, however: 1)  The 4.0 - 7.0 grade range seems to be the one that most people have trouble with, and for good reason. A wide variety of flaws can exist on books in this range, and it can be a tough call to determine where a book lands. As far as the book in question, I see why it wound up where it did. A genuine 10" crease is a pretty serious flaw even if it's on the back cover and it barely breaks color.   2)  I've looked at a lot of Silver Age DC's, and one of the most common problems I've observed are staple pulls or "popped" staples. This even happens on books that haven't been pressed and are in otherwise fantastic condition. It's a very common problem, and I would advise people to use extreme caution when pressing any Silver Age DC's.  3)  Determining whether you want to purchase a given book should always be based on a number of factors. If the book is slabbed, I always appreciate reading the grading notes. And if it's a pricey purchase, I take into account everything about the book before I pull the trigger. Simply put, try to get the most bang for your buck. As Marshall Matt Dillon used to say: "Don't be a fool..."  :foryou:

Amen to all of this, Sir!  I agree also with the Silver age DCs.  The cover stock does seem more easily stressed.  Which is one of the reasons they're a little tougher in very high grade (or so I've always assumed).  (thumbsu

4 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

Amen to all of this, Sir!  I agree also with the Silver age DCs.  The cover stock does seem more easily stressed.  Which is one of the reasons they're a little tougher in very high grade (or so I've always assumed).  (thumbsu

I think your assumption is correct. I remember seeing some nice Pacific Coast DC's with popped staples...very unfortunate.  :(

There have been many instances of a book being graded by CGC Universal, resubmitted to CGC for a Sig, and coming back a lower grade. General speculation being it happened from the cracking out of the slab, the signing, shipping or a combination of those.  I don't see CBCS as a culprit here. It could have and HAS happened with only CGC involved.

9 minutes ago, PovertyRow said:

There have been many instances of a book being graded by CGC Universal, resubmitted to CGC for a Sig, and coming back a lower grade. General speculation being it happened from the cracking out of the slab, the signing, shipping or a combination of those.  I don't see CBCS as a culprit here. It could have and HAS happened with only CGC involved.

Moral of the story - always window bag your books yourself if possible.