• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CBCS CAME BACK A WHOLE GRADE LOWER THAN CGC

10 posts in this topic

Hello, So I sent off My Batman #171 after it was signed to CBCS and It Came back a "6.0"      Just a month earlier it was graded by CGC and Came Back a "7.0" before it was professionaly cleaned... I asked CBCS what went wrong they said well there is a check mark here on the graded case that means they noticed something in the book??? No grader notes on the Website. The Book was still in the same shape as when it came back from CGC?   

CBCS reasoning was well we grade them at a higher standard.... I laiughed and said so what you're telling me is that I should strictly go to CGC because my comics will be more valuable?   She didn't know what to say?   Yes I know why did I go To CBCS... Because they are local and clearly I did not think this through...:cry:   What do you think went wrong? Besides the obvious?

On 8/20/2020 at 8:17 AM, J-KComics said:

Hello, So I sent off My Batman #171 after it was signed to CBCS and It Came back a "6.0"      Just a month earlier it was graded by CGC and Came Back a "7.0" before it was professionaly cleaned... I asked CBCS what went wrong they said well there is a check mark here on the graded case that means they noticed something in the book??? No grader notes on the Website. The Book was still in the same shape as when it came back from CGC?   

CBCS reasoning was well we grade them at a higher standard.... I laiughed and said so what you're telling me is that I should strictly go to CGC because my comics will be more valuable?   She didn't know what to say?   Yes I know why did I go To CBCS... Because they are local and clearly I did not think this through...:cry:   What do you think went wrong? Besides the obvious?

Check mark is CBCS indicating that the book looks better then the assigned grade, similar to QES and CVA. 

Anytime you resubmit there is always a gamble , would there have been an issue if it came back higher?

Or were you looking for the exact same grade between two competing companies using different graders?

Sorry to hear this. My experience has been the opposite - CBCS books being resubbed and usually coming back lower (however, the premium that CGC books get relative to CBCS made it worthwhile). 

If you sent it in recently after Beckett took over CBCS, then they may finally be tightening up CBCS grading for comics to meet BGS strict standards for sportscards. That would be a good thing for the comic collecting hobby IMHO.

Edited by kimik

On 8/25/2020 at 8:29 AM, kimik said:

My experience has been the opposite - CBCS books being resubbed and usually coming back lower (however, the premium that CGC books get relative to CBCS made it worthwhile).

Pretty good Feb, 2022 interview with Steve Borock, impartiality, resto detection, start of CGC:

It cuts both ways, I had a book come back from CBCS an 8.0 which I thought was a little low, so I cracked it out and sent it in just as it was to CGC and much to my shock, it came back a 9.4 so go figure. As much as they've tried to make grading a science, it still has to have some subjectivity to it.