• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Places to Buy High Grade New Comics Online?

19 posts in this topic

Where do people recommend buying online for new books that may come in as close to mint as possible? I realize even new books come with issues. But I'm wondering what peoples' experiences are with online buying. Who packages well? Who consistently ships top quality condition stuff? Etc. Etc.

I tend to just go to my local shop but there are some books coming out on the horizon (from some favorite artists) I wanted to get slabbed and the online prices are a bit tempting over looking at the retail shelf.

Thanks!

Buying new comics at midtown isn’t terrible

ive heard some complaints about packaging, but it’s worked out for me

Edited by revat

On 9/15/2020 at 11:03 PM, ExNihilo said:

I use dcbservice.com (similar service to Midtown).  Each month you pre-order the books you want.  Most of the books have been received in better condition than I would have otherwise received at an LCS.

DCB had some positive reviews, one or two that complained about books not being shipped out months after they were released though. I'll probably try them out for their trade paperbacks at some point. Right now I'm waiting on an order from mycomicshop.com. We'll see how it goes.

I just received a small order from tfaw.com (Things From Another World) yesterday. Awful shipping. Terrible customer support. Before I even placed the order I called them to ask about their shipping and whether they used Gemini mailers (geminicomicsupply.com). They said verbatim: 'Yeah, we use cardboard mailers.' Apparently this is what they meant:

IMG_5788.thumb.JPG.9ac4553c99e76ba19a59931edc0254a1.JPG

The books are completely unusable for CGC and don't even pass VF condition to my mind. I wouldn't even care if this were just the post office's mishandling but the fact that gemini mailers are common place among bedroom sellers on ebay and the 3rd largest retailer (according to their website) of comics can't be bothered with basic competent shipping practices is inexcusable. The damage to the books was entirely preventable with even modest professionalism.

All I can say is I'm glad I didn't order a variant cover or signed copy of anything that would cost real money and definitely will never use 'Things From Another World,' again for anything.

Lesson learned.

Edited by Pixx_L

I can see the spine stress lines on the mailer so imagine what that does to the spine of the book. I recently had a book mailed that way and spine got totally messed up. Complained to seller, who is so proud and ignorant of his shipping method that his auction has a picture of said method.

21 hours ago, Robert5762 said:

I just received my Spawn 1 should I get it graded

What are your plans for the comic? Selling, keeping, displaying, giving as gift, etc?  All that plays a part in the answer.

Welcome to the boards as well.  Enjoy your time here!

On 8/20/2020 at 1:19 PM, Pixx_L said:

I tend to just go to my local shop but there are some books coming out on the horizon (from some favorite artists) I wanted to get slabbed and the online prices are a bit tempting over looking at the retail shelf.

I'd encourage you to stick with your LCS unless they are doing something you really don't like.

I think having a decent LCS is worth the extra few dollars, especially if it's a shop you like.

Choosing a book off of the shelf and buying it from someone you know is a genuine experience.  After you have it for a while you can decide of you want to slab it. Wait for a comic-con where you can drop it off in person.

Pre-ordering a collection online isn't fun to me.  Instant gratification fades quickly.

I've bought plenty online but a new book that I can easily buy from my LCS...never.

On 9/27/2020 at 12:09 PM, Turnando said:

I'd encourage you to stick with your LCS unless they are doing something you really don't like.

I think having a decent LCS is worth the extra few dollars, especially if it's a shop you like.

Choosing a book off of the shelf and buying it from someone you know is a genuine experience.  After you have it for a while you can decide of you want to slab it. Wait for a comic-con where you can drop it off in person.

Pre-ordering a collection online isn't fun to me.  Instant gratification fades quickly.

I've bought plenty online but a new book that I can easily buy from my LCS...never.

My original post probably didn't frame this well. This isn't about saving a buck between equals. There are particular books I know I'll want CGC'd before they come out. A LCS in many cases isn't going to order enough of a particular book to guarantee you a CGC worthy copy - that's the point of ordering online and I typically go through ebay to find a pristine raw copy of something I want graded. The problem is you incur a lot of shipping costs going through multiple ebay sellers thus I wanted to know about people's experience with larger online retailers who will have large stocks to pull the best quality copies from to fill an order that may ask for that level of product.

Feel free to collect however you like to collect - and let others do the same. Your LCS experience and sense of gratification is going to be different from others.

In the past, there have been some people who provide CGC 9.8 services for modern subscriptions.  Maybe look for those?  Essentially you pre-pay, and you essentially have a subscription with guaranteed CGC 9.8's (the service-provider submits themselves and mail you the graded comics AFTER the comics is graded ).

I just wanted to update this thread for others that may be interested. I received my first online order from MyComicShop.com. Much improved shipping over TFAW.com. Photo below. The cardboard box has foam corners, the board and bagged comics came wrapped in another plastic bag with cardboard between them and the bottom/top of the box with more paper to even out the spacing between edges. The books themselves while having a little chipping on a corner at the spine for a few books came as well as can be expected without being in person to make a selection. Overall I'm pretty happy with it.
MyComicShop.thumb.JPG.0bac35cc7d4b1ce0c62afcf037b781c2.JPG

Edited by Pixx_L

On 9/15/2020 at 8:03 PM, ExNihilo said:

I use dcbservice.com (similar service to Midtown).  Each month you pre-order the books you want.  Most of the books have been received in better condition than I would have otherwise received at an LCS.

I'm on their site right now.  Can you order multiple copies of a new comic?  Because I've been trying to add multiple copies of a new book but don't see how it's possible?  Don't see a quantity choice at all?

6 hours ago, Tafkap said:

I'm on their site right now.  Can you order multiple copies of a new comic?  Because I've been trying to add multiple copies of a new book but don't see how it's possible?  Don't see a quantity choice at all?

If you go to your cart you can update the quantity there.

image.thumb.png.4acd802b2ca7868bf68bf66a0651a02c.png

Warning though, if you go to the FAQ, there's a comment about ordering too many multiple quantities of books.  If DCBS believes you to be retailer, re-seller, speculator, or buying club, they may cancel your order or adjust shipping accordingly.  

image.thumb.png.5b4582c9ea6273deb907b57a854b31f3.png

12 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

If you go to your cart you can update the quantity there.

image.thumb.png.4acd802b2ca7868bf68bf66a0651a02c.png

Warning though, if you go to the FAQ, there's a comment about ordering too many multiple quantities of books.  If DCBS believes you to be retailer, re-seller, speculator, or buying club, they may cancel your order or adjust shipping accordingly.  

image.thumb.png.5b4582c9ea6273deb907b57a854b31f3.png

Thanks.  Yes I was going to go on there strictly to speculate on a comic and buy multiples.  

Does Midtown and others do the same? 

Edited by Tafkap