• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Announces the 60th Pedigree Collection - "Chinatown"
2 2

138 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, airwalker said:

I remembered the year Pat bought the collections. He mentioned one of his favourite was Acton 108. But he was very reluctant to show his books. Eventually he showed me his Action 108 and a few others, another being Wonder Woman 10. I tried buy one or two high grade copies of his Wonder Womans for several years but failed to. He did release about 20 to 30 low to mid-grade less desirable books for sale. 

Do you know when he sold Golden Age Collectibles?

2 hours ago, sagii said:

Anyone have any books from this collection in their collection to share? 

Will be cool to see what people dig up that they may not have known they had....or were these all just submitted now by one person?  Noticed it said 80% of the collection is CGC graded now.

Edited by szav

12 minutes ago, szav said:

Will be cool to see what people dig up that they may not have known they had....or were these all just submitted now by one person?  Noticed it said 80% of the collection is CGC graded now.

I did. 

But at @airwalkersaid he did list a small batch of 'less desirable' books for sale. Would still be interested to see those as well. 

Seems like the Billy Wright auction in terms of we haven't seen a 'new' pedigree rolled out at one time like this since i believe (assuming it's been graded to now go to auction). 

2 minutes ago, greggy said:

Like one of the posters stated above, pretty well any of the nice ones have remained with Pat for all these years.  He stated to me that he wants to keep it for his two sons whatever that means.  I figure it means that it'll get sold eventually at a much later date.  I haven't seen any of the Golden Age issues in person but he did show some of the scans of the nicer books to me in the past.  He did show me the actual graded movie related Dells from the 60s that the portion that the daughter collected.  They were nice grades but the demand may not be there for most of those books.  He did indicate that that portion of the collection was available for sale at the right price but I don't think that he's actively pursued selling any of them.

An interesting tidbit is that when he first found the collection, he brought a few down to SDCC and showed Steve Borock and Mark Haspel and they wanted him to grade the collection with the then fledgeling CGC and they wanted to pedigree it at that time.  He said that he didn't feel like they qualify as a true pedigree so he declined at that time.  I know most of those books pictured in the articles were previously graded for years so they weren't recent gradings.

@lou_finewould probably be the person with the most access to these books in the past so he can shed more light into the collection.

Thanks, appreciate the extra info there.

I went ahead and emailed him at the email they gave at the bottom of the press release (like I'm sure a ton of other people did today).  He responded quickly and cordially, said he's not planning on selling immediately, but when he does it'll be well publicized.  He's also working on a master list that may take him some time to put together, and that in the meantime he'll be posting pics on the pedigree website, the boards, etc.

He also added that less than 5% of the books were pressed as a tidbit.

Edited by szav

1 hour ago, szav said:

I went ahead and emailed him at the email they gave at the bottom of the press release (like I'm sure a ton of other people did today).  He responded quickly and cordially, said he's not planning on selling immediately, but when he does it'll be well publicized.  He's also working on a master list that may take him some time to put together, and that in the meantime he'll be posting pics on the pedigree website, the boards, etc.

He also added that less than 5% of the books were pressed as a tidbit.

I emailed him as well. 

He said:

354 (33%) are highest graded, of those 242 (22%) are one and only highest graded, and 71 tie with only one other book.