• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Announces the 60th Pedigree Collection - "Chinatown"
2 2

138 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, airwalker said:

Great book! I thought the Chinatown collection started in 1944???

(shrug)

It was billed as the Chinatown copy when I bought it.  CGC say 1944 in the article, and we all know they've never been wrong.

That said, it's still a Mystic 2 with white pages.  :hi: 

21 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

(shrug)

It was billed as the Chinatown copy when I bought it.  CGC say 1944 in the article, and we all know they've never been wrong.

That said, it's still a Mystic 2 with white pages.  :hi: 

The markings and dates seem pretty specific.  A lot of things have been claimed over the years which may or may not be true.

PM Timely.  He may have notes on the dates of books considered for Chinatown pedigree designation when the Pedigree book was being developed years ago.  hm

2 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

The markings and dates seem pretty specific.  A lot of things have been claimed over the years which may or may not be true.

PM Timely.  He may have notes on the dates of books considered for Chinatown pedigree designation when the Pedigree book was being developed years ago.  hm

Or just read the book.

9 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Even if only a “lower grade” funny animal. It would need to have the markings on it though.

Golden Age Collectables says he has a master list plus pics of every 'Chinatown' copy whether coded or not. 2 samples that are coded. If you squint, you may be able to see the red Chinese chock:

LXyVbKz.jpg

23 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Just email Pat. He would know more precisely than Timely, surely.

10 hours ago, Bronty said:

Just email Pat. He would know more precisely than Timely, surely.

This is a good point.  I mentioned West (Timely) because he posted earlier and seems to have pretty specific knowledge of the books in this collection.  Also, a PM to him is just a click away. 

28 minutes ago, PatrickinVancouver said:

Hi Everyone. Patrick at GAC here and I want to thank everybody for their positive, complimentary and celebratory comments.

I've think I've written back to everyone who contacted me, if somehow I've missed anyone please write me back. 

I can confirm that the New Funnies shown here are Chinatown copies.

I can also confirm that all of the scans posted by tth2 are authentic Chinatown copies. 

Unfortunately that wonderful Mystic Comics is not a Chinatown copy, as someone commented earlier the collection starts in 1944 - although there are some Canadian whites (WECA books) that are from circa 1943, however since they do not have the date printed in them CGC lists it 'No date' so it won't show up in data. 

I am working on a definitive list and will update as often as I can as the books that I have come back from CGC with the black label. If anyone else needs a confirmation on a Chinatown book graded or ungraded, I can do that. 

Thanks again to all, this has been a special part of my comic book collecting and comic book business career and you folks have made even sweeter. Stay well Pat 

Thanks so much for sharing this information!!!  (thumbsu

On 8/21/2020 at 6:04 AM, entalmighty1 said:

Finally!  I might actually resubmit this one for the designation/label.

20180817_164105.thumb.jpg.3cf7215bc96a6faefeaf090dc9a0d90d.jpg

20180817_164131.thumb.jpg.366dc6f8354af266813d9244eeb8c78c.jpg

The Chinese characters on the left says kitchen and as BitterOldMan says the characters on the right says healthy.

It's interesting to note the original owner of the Chinatown collection worked as a cook on the Canadian Pacific ferries.

kitchen.jpg

health.jpg

4 hours ago, N e r V said:

I really want to get one these at some point.

All I can say is that it's certainly nice to see that you like to plan ahead and think long term, and I mean really really long term.  :taptaptap:   :taptaptap:

The only question which I have is how can you be so confident that you will still be collecting comic books at that time and not in a seniors home by then?  lol

10 hours ago, lou_fine said:

All I can say is that it's certainly nice to see that you like to plan ahead and think long term, and I mean really really long term.  :taptaptap:   :taptaptap:

The only question which I have is how can you be so confident that you will still be collecting comic books at that time and not in a seniors home by then?  lol

Pretty confident...

7A94F6B2-6C4C-4D37-855A-EC3F2DB6CB86.gif.7142944a811c735d4d266f94b361da50.gif

3 hours ago, path4play said:

Any Police Comics?

pray.gif.e2a6f8b9ebe3ce628a364e4196a8bdfc.gif

Well, I'll leave the details to Pat, but I guess you definitely must have been a very very good little boy and praying very hard because your wish for Police Comics has clearly been granted.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine