• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Announces the 60th Pedigree Collection - "Chinatown"
2 2

138 posts in this topic

I just read the entire thread. wonderful story!! absolutely amazing collection!!! :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap:

This thread should be archived, 

anymore pedigree threads like this?.. I'm very new here and would love to read stories like this 

Edited by IronMan_Cave

3 minutes ago, IronMan_Cave said:

I just read the entire thread. wonderful story!! absolutely amazing collection!!! :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap:

This thread should be archived, 

anymore pedigree threads like this?.. I'm very new here and would love to read stories like this 

Check out the Okajima thread for a good afternoon of reading....

1 hour ago, RareHighGrade said:

In case you missed this post.

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/8508/

CGC is proud to recognize a 60th pedigreed collection, named “Chinatown” for its origin in the Chinatown district of Vancouver, Canada. Discovered in 1999 by Patrick Shaughnessy of Golden Age Collectables, the collection contains many high grade, white paged copies of over 1,300 comics from the ‘40s and ‘50s, including runs of Action, Adventure, All-American, All-Flash, All-Select, All Star, All Winners, Batman, Blackhawk, Black Hood, Black Terror, Captain America, Detective, Feature, Fight, Flash, Four Color, Green Lantern, Hit, Human Torch, Jumbo, Jungle, Marvel Mystery, More Fun, National, Police, Rangers, Sensation, Star Spangled, Startling, Sub-Mariner, Superman, WDC&S, Wonder Woman, World’s Finest, and many others.

80% of the collection has been CGC graded, of which one-third are the highest graded or tied for the highest graded on CGC’s census. 33 copies graded 9.8, with 95 more in 9.6 and 139 in 9.4. 42% of the graded copies received a white page quality designation, and 41% off-white to white.

Some highlights include Action Comics #108 in 9.6, Human Torch #23 in 9.6, Marvel Mystery #66 in 9.6, Batman #37 in 9.2, Fight Comics #44 in 9.6, Planet Comics #46 in 9.6, More Fun #101 in 8.0, Captain America #46 in 8.0, and the Canadian Edition of Batman’s origin, #47 in 9.6.

6 hours ago, adamstrange said:
7 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

In case you missed this post.

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/8508/

Ummmm.............................that was an article from way way back in August of last year and now it's April of 2021.  :gossip:

Maybe RHG just wanted some updated stats to compare as in this fast paced and super robust pandemic driven marketplace of ours, that would now almost seem like several lifetimes ago.  Especially, as clearly evident by what has taken place over just the past few months alone.  lol

Edited by lou_fine

On 4/24/2021 at 7:57 AM, Robot Man said:

One of the most amazing aspect to this collection is you kept it intact.................................that is an amazing feat in itself. Wonderful books!

Yes indeed...................huge kudos and well-deserved congrats to Pat for not only having the fortitude and tenacity to keep the entire collection together (save for the odd later low demand books), but also the patience to wait these past couple of long decades for this collection to finally attain the official pedigree status that Pat and I knew that it so fully deserved.  :applause:

Especially when all other collectors or dealers would have sold off at least some portion of the collection in order to offset the original acquisition cost along with all of the subsequent additional ancillary costs involved in order to have the collection qualified for the yet to be published Pedigree Book  lol  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  and now to finally achieve full recognized official pedigree status from CGC.  Needless to say, I am extremely happy to see Pat be able to achieve this accomplishment where most others have not.  :golfclap:  :golfclap:

With the sole exception being that I have not yet been able to convince Pat to sell me even a single copy of one of these gorgeous books from this wonderful collection after all these long years and I understandably doubt I ever will.  lol  

Edited by lou_fine

I think when and if this collection ever comes to market (at least it will at some time), it will be sold a public auction in it’s entirely. 

The way it should be. More money for Pat’s patience and an equal chance for all collectors to obtain some. 

I know Brian Peets hung on to the Central Valley collection for a very long time until having it graded and sold off by him direct. 

Anybody who has collected for decades and been hard working and dedicated has probably found a decent collection. I have found probably 3. Nothing like the Chinatown but pretty significant large hoards of GA & SA OO books. I always went through them carefully pulling everything I wanted for myself before selling off the rest to pay for what I kept. The lure of making a profit and parlaying into more books for my collecting was just too great. 

On 4/28/2021 at 12:18 PM, PatrickinVancouver said:

Wow that ‘Promise’ collection looks amazing! It should be good for the GA market and take a little pressure off bringing Chinatown to market. 

There's no rush in bringing it to market. I still have a small coin collection that my great-great-grandfather put together over 100 years ago. I'm not sure why people are assuming that the collection ever has to be sold. Unless you find yourself in dire straits and need the money, just keep it!

Edited by jimbo_7071