• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Announces the 60th Pedigree Collection - "Chinatown"
2 2

138 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, I'll leave the details to Pat, but I guess you definitely must have been a very very good little boy and praying very hard because your wish for Police Comics has clearly been granted.  (thumbsu

Awesome, so the next question is....  how do I add it to my collection?

1 hour ago, path4play said:
3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, I'll leave the details to Pat, but I guess you definitely must have been a very very good little boy and praying very hard because your wish for Police Comics has clearly been granted.  (thumbsu

Awesome, so the next question is....  how do I add it to my collection?

Well, I believe you just might have to be a good little boy for much much longer and possibly pray even harder than you've been praying.  lol

Seriously though, I probably shouldn't say too much since this is really Pat's well earned and much deserved moment to enjoy the fame and recognition of this collection, especially considering he had the fortitude to hold onto it virtually intact for all these decades.  (thumbsu :applause:

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Well, I believe you just might have to be a good little boy for much much longer and possibly pray even harder than you've been praying.  lol

Seriously though, I probably shouldn't say too much since this is really Pat's well earned and much deserved moment to enjoy the fame and recognition of this collection, especially considering he had the fortitude to hold onto it virtually intact for all these decades.  (thumbsu :applause:

Do you or anyone else know why he’d go to the trouble and cost of having 80% of the collection graded now if he wasn’t going to sell any of them in the near future? I clearly understand the desire to keep a private collection intact with no interest in selling since a number of private collections still exist but going to the trouble to get everything graded with the free publicity now would only make sense to me if you were selling now or in the near future and are simply setting up the groundwork for the collections promotion.

Not trying to second guess why people do things but have to admit it’s surprising to grade/slab a large amount of books then keep them. 

8 hours ago, N e r V said:

Not trying to second guess why people do things but have to admit it’s surprising to grade/slab a large amount of books then keep them. 

Sounds as though you must be an old school collector like me who doesn't see any point in grading and slabbing their books until it's time to sell them.  (thumbsu

In sharp contrast to the younger CGC generation of collectors who thinks that all books should be pressed, graded, and slabbed before going into their collection.  :p

I guess it's really a case of to each their own, as everybody enjoys collecting in their own unique way and as long as you are still having fun while doing it. :applause:

Edited by lou_fine

20 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

I'd have trouble selling that one. Definitely lives up to the hype. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I know where you’re coming from.  It was difficult parting with either of these (both had nice Off White-White PQ), ...but I ended up letting one go. :whatthe:

Both of these books would be likely candidates for a grade bump, but I’ve never been into the crack-out, press & regrade culture.

5b2703c0-8202-4c08-a1c2-51333af5e5aa_zps

Alas, owning two copies in high grade just seemed like overkill, and acquiring other desired books always seemed preferable to bragging rights.  Still, I do occasionally miss the sister copy (sigh!). In the end, I decided to go with the best color registration.  That said, in other areas it was purely a judgment call!  I’m just happy so many nice copies of this classic Schomburg cover HT survived!

Sorry about this digression from the ongoing saga of this fascinating new pedigree (blame it on the caffeine).  Now I’ll turn this marvelous ...or rather, Timely... thread back over to regular programming and the well deserved Panda-monium. :foryou:

:tink:

Edited by Cat-Man_America

On 8/20/2020 at 3:01 PM, airwalker said:

I remembered the year Pat bought the collections. He mentioned one of his favourite was Acton 108.

Like all collectors like us, we all tend to love the ones that are in the nicest condition and would grade out the highest, and even more so when it is acknowledged and recognized to be a classic cover book.  (thumbsu  :luhv:

Edited by lou_fine

On 8/20/2020 at 2:29 PM, Gotham Kid said:

Thanks for the link!!!  (thumbsu

Finally got around to opening it up and reading it now that hockey season is officially over with the ouster of the Canucks from the Stanley Cup playoffs.  :(

Very nice article and write-up and I especially like the historical aspect in terms of the old black and white pictures.  Definitely goes into a lot more detail than the write-up that Ritter had done up for the Chinatown Collection that I saw in the link on the Pedigree Book website which was nice and concise with the info they had at the time.  Clearly Steve was the numbers guys out of the quartet, but at least they did highlight and did similar closeups for some of the books with the Chinese character for the OO's last name.  These books with the Chinese characters would clearly be a bit more special, similar in vein to the Edgar Church books with the Mile High code.  :luhv:

I still remember West's and Steve's comment at the time that they were in a hurry to finish because they were hoping to have the Pedigree Book all done up in time for the following year.  Well, I guess we all know what happened there.   :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  lol

Edited by lou_fine

On 8/21/2020 at 11:15 AM, entalmighty1 said:
On 8/21/2020 at 11:06 AM, airwalker said:

Great book! I thought the Chinatown collection started in 1944???

(shrug)

It was billed as the Chinatown copy when I bought it.  CGC say 1944 in the article, and we all know they've never been wrong.

That said, it's still a Mystic 2 with white pages.  :hi: 

Although it is definitely a nice looking copy of Mystic 2 relative to its assigned grade, I hope you didn't have to pay any kind of a premium for the supposed pedigree. :wishluck:

Yes, the fact that it's from 1940 and clearly outside the Chinatown Collection date range is the obvious dead giveaway.  The other not quite as obvious one would be the assigned condition of the book as there were less than a handful of books out of the entire collection that were in this relatively low condition grade range.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Although it is definitely a nice looking copy of Mystic 2 relative to its assigned grade, I hope you didn't have to pay any kind of a premium for the supposed pedigree. :wishluck:

Yes, the fact that it's from 1940 and clearly outside the Chinatown Collection date range is the obvious dead giveaway. 

Dearest Lou_fine,

You know better than to mix up your terms Chinatown Pedigree vs the earlier Chinatown 'Collection' found circa 1993 which also did not list Mystic #2 in their auction ad from Overstreet Gold Quarterly #2:

K1v1a8j.jpg

K1v1a8j.jpg

Wow, definitely a blast from the past as I guess it's only old long time collectors like us who would remember ads like this since this harkens back to the old days long before they had such a thing as the internet or even any talk about the super information highway.  :preach:

I very clearly remember this ad and calling in for their telephone auction as I had been into the historical aspect of the comic book hobby and the lot that caught my eye was the Harry Wildenberg Famous Funnies #1 - #5 set.  Especially since Wildenberg was pretty much the architect and founder of the current day version of the comic book when he came up with the initial concept and layout format for Funnies on Parade and Famous Funnies in his role as Sales Manager for Eastern Color Publications at the time.  Definitely should have gone after some of those early Centaurs instead, especially in terms of that Amazing Mystery Funnies, but being a collector it's hard to resist going after the roots of the hobby even though they sadly haven't really gone up in value after all these decades.  :(  :luhv:

So, I was alrealy well aware of the Chinatown Collection out of Berkeley when I first touched base with both West and Ritter about Pat's OO collection for him.  In fact, it was one of the first things that Ritter had mentioned to me in one of his initial early emails to me, but I believe it was decided in the end that the collection from Comic Relief was not deemed to be an official pedigree of any kind as it was just a small but very early low to mid-grade collection that was named as such really just for marketing purposes more than anything else.  So, I assume the "Chinatown" designation was deemed to be okay in the end as that's how it was named when it was added into the Pedigree Book website with its own official link at the time. :applause:

Edited by lou_fine