• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Announces the 60th Pedigree Collection - "Chinatown"
2 2

138 posts in this topic

On 9/6/2020 at 12:17 PM, PatrickinVancouver said:

Hi again

I minor correction regarding an earlier post,  airwalker mention seeing a Wonder Woman 10 chinatown copy, the run actually starts with #11, however I do have the Rockford copy of WW 10 (9.4) so that may explain it. 

That must be it. My memory is fading on me :). I really appreciated you showing me a few of your high grade books - it was a treat!

17 hours ago, airwalker said:

That must be it. My memory is fading on me :). I really appreciated you showing me a few of your high grade books - it was a treat!

Yes, your mention of the Wonder Woman 10 also had me puzzled there as the list at the time shows the WW run going only from WW 10 through to WW 20.  (thumbsu

Any possibilty that you might have confused it with Wonder Woman 20 because that one there should have been a real stunner out of not only just the WW run, but the entire Chinatwon Collection as a whole?  hm

On 9/24/2020 at 1:33 PM, lou_fine said:

Yes, your mention of the Wonder Woman 10 also had me puzzled there as the list at the time shows the WW run going only from WW 10 through to WW 20.  (thumbsu

Any possibilty that you might have confused it with Wonder Woman 20 because that one there should have been a real stunner out of not only just the WW run, but the entire Chinatwon Collection as a whole?  hm

Maybe it was Pat showing his Rockford WW10, and I got it mixed up with his Chinatown books. Nevertheless, it's a great collection that I thought about for many years. Glad to see some of them on this site.

18 hours ago, airwalker said:

Maybe it was Pat showing his Rockford WW10, and I got it mixed up with his Chinatown books. Nevertheless, it's a great collection that I thought about for many years. Glad to see some of them on this site.

If you've been thinking about them for many years, were you ever able to be lucky enough to pick up the odd copy here or there, or was @aardvark88 the only collector who was lucky enough here to hit Pat at just the right time and snagged a few of these Chinatown books from him?  :wishluck:

On 9/27/2020 at 11:35 AM, lou_fine said:

If you've been thinking about them for many years, were you ever able to be lucky enough to pick up the odd copy here or there, or was @aardvark88 the only collector who was lucky enough here to hit Pat at just the right time and snagged a few of these Chinatown books from him?  :wishluck:

Pat showed me a few books he was selling but they were lower grade copies non-superhero so I passed. Looking back, it would have been cool to pick up one or two.

6 hours ago, Angel of Death said:

All I did was ask a question. ??? Another one RE: The Bold. Have you read The Dark Knight Returns?

4 hours ago, PatrickinVancouver said:

I don’t get a lot of time for the boards these days so It’s been a while, but here are more Chinatown examples. Cheers 

CE8A3671-ACA3-4D67-93EB-1BD365B0D8B5.jpeg

C865818E-455A-41F2-90E7-4E950638D101.jpeg

3AFDB035-3CA5-40F1-962F-8E32FDC57BF6.jpeg

86534A8F-DB8E-47EA-BC7D-31E32FC9E780.jpeg

CA69FE61-F8DF-4052-81DB-68642542C411.jpeg

4491FDC2-4B3E-4ACA-9304-361E59E05981.jpeg

(worship)

On 8/29/2020 at 11:37 PM, lou_fine said:

Sounds as though you must be an old school collector like me who doesn't see any point in grading and slabbing their books until it's time to sell them.  (thumbsu

In sharp contrast to the younger CGC generation of collectors who thinks that all books should be pressed, graded, and slabbed before going into their collection.  :p

I guess it's really a case of to each their own, as everybody enjoys collecting in their own unique way and as long as you are still having fun while doing it. :applause:

I can see both sides; I have many books which ought to be graded, but they'll keep until the day I do want to sell them -- especially since grading costs can be taken care of at time of sale via auction and just be rolled into the process. On the other hand, it can be nice to send in a handful of your nicest items to see where they rank; but doing more than that handful would take too much away from money I'd rather spend towards new books.

The most common 1940’s marks on them are the Chinese symbols and/or a ‘V’ in pencil. The ‘V’ stands or Vancouver Magazine the local distributor, understandably it’s often mistaken for a check mark. In the 1950’s the books have fairly consistent date stamps usually on the back cover. There are occasional variations and some books have no marks at all.