• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC's STATIC SHOCK movie (TBD)

25 posts in this topic

After weeks of speculation, Warner Brothers is definitely working on a Static Shock flick — and the studio has some serious help in developing the project. Announced Friday afternoon, Black Panther star Michael B. Jordan is set to produce the feature alongside long-time scribe Reginald Hudlin.

“I’m proud to be a part of building a new universe centered around black superheroes; our community deserves that,” Jordan told THR. “Outlier Society is committed to bringing to life diverse comic book content across all platforms and we are excited to partner with Reggie and Warner Bros on this initial step.”

Michael B. Jordan and Reginald Hudlin are producing the feature adaptation of the DC hero. 

Randy McKinnon, who wrote Disney+’s football drama Safety, has been tapped to pen Warner Bros. and DC’s Static Shock.

Michael B. Jordan is producing the feature adaptation of the cult DC hero via his Outlier Society production shingle along with Reginald Hudlin, who directed Safety.

The project centers on Static, who first appeared in 1993's Static no. 1 via Milestone Comics, a now-defunct company founded by Black writers and artists to help make comics a more inclusive space and which had distribution through DC.

A decade later the hero was revived for the Static Shock animated series, centering on Virgil Hawkins, a teenager who transforms into a superhero who gains electromagnetic powers after being exposed to strange gas. The series was noteworthy for being the rare animated show to be headlined by a Black character. The hero made his way to the mainstream DC Comics universe in 2008.

The project has an urgency and agency surrounding it thanks to its heavy-hitting producers, who have stated an intention to build a cinematic universe centered around black superheroes.

Michael B. Jordan has given an update on the status of his live-action Static Shock movie.

During an interview with Collider, Jordan revealed the film was still coming together. "Right now we have a writer, Randy McKinnon, who's putting together take and a draft right now, really excited," he said.

Jordan continued, "I mean, again, as a kid growing up, watching Static Shock, it was something that inspired me. And had that type of representation at a young age, it was really important to me. And I know it would be important to a lot of other kids today. So to be able to adapt the live-action version of that, I'm really, really excited about. So no real timelines, and I guess no real updates or anything like that. But we're in the process of building that out. And I can't wait to have something more to tell you guys later."

Static: Shadows of Dakota co-writer and artist Nikolas Draper-Ivey has addressed fans who have been speculating about the status of the upcoming Static Shock movie.

"Stop speculating about the Static movie. Don’t worry about those articles and be patient. I will not elaborate on this any further," Draper-Ivey said in a post on the social media platform Twitter. The artist then replied to his tweet with a clip from the NBC comedy series Parks and Recreation, which features Nick Offerman's Ron Swanson saying, "I know more than you."