• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Take a trip with EP to some "local" Brick and Mortar Stores
2 2

71 posts in this topic

I'm really enjoying your tour of shops. I used to do consulting work for the Michigan state government in Lansing back around 2003 and would always keep an eye out for cool shops. Sadly, I haven't had a reason to get up there much recently, but the next time I do, I'll be armed with a list of places to visit.

2 hours ago, Off Panel said:

I'm really enjoying your tour of shops. I used to do consulting work for the Michigan state government in Lansing back around 2003 and would always keep an eye out for cool shops. Sadly, I haven't had a reason to get up there much recently, but the next time I do, I'll be armed with a list of places to visit.

I used to take a drive to Lansing now and then to thumb thru the back issues at Curious Books. This was back in the 80s...I couldn't tell you if it even still exists.

16 minutes ago, Gaard said:

I used to take a drive to Lansing now and then to thumb thru the back issues at Curious Books. This was back in the 80s...I couldn't tell you if it even still exists.

I believe they do. I think I have been there once, but didn't buy anything. I'll hit them again eventually. I don't think Lansing has a really good location for back issues. Somewhat surprising with MSU being so close.

I’m enjoying the thread so far. Do your travels take you closer to Detroit? I’m curious what you find nearer the big city.

10 minutes ago, piper said:

I’m enjoying the thread so far. Do your travels take you closer to Detroit? I’m curious what you find nearer the big city.

Oh, yes. I’ll do as many of those as I can. I probably have only been to half of the Metro Detroit shops. So there should be several.

9 hours ago, electricprune said:

Stadium Cards and Comics- Ypsilanti, MI (Yes, that's a real city name) Home of Eastern Michigan University.

This is a store that I visit from time to time. The owner and staff are very friendly. You will also find sports cards, non sports cards, and gaming here. They do have tables set up for gaming, and I think they have scheduled games. I do not know of what though. However, if you want some sweet unopened 1989 Fleer Wax, this is your place. The exterior makes it look like the store might be tiny, but it's really not.

Comics- They probably have close to 40 longs to look through. They are kept well organized, although Marvel, DC, and other publishers are usually kept separate. You will find Silver to Modern here. You won't find (m)any keys in the longs though. You can sometimes find some nice Bronze though. At one time, they had a long box of some VERY nice Silver and Bronze Western books. They have some mags, and usually a decent supply of bags and boards.

If you go here, make sure to check the wall in the back right corner. Behind the back register, you may find some keys on the wall. They do sub some books to CGC. You might find some nice books there. I know they had some early Hulk issues back there in the past (1-6, not post TTA). This place is definitely worth a look.

I picked up just a few books, some backer boards, and some penny sleeves and top loaders.

I forgot to take an interior picture, so I stole one from the web. Back issues are not 40% off. The boxes are full, and there are more of them now.

IMG_0800.jpg

IMG_0809.jpg

IMG_0801.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg

Great owner. This was my go to for about 10 years when I bought new books. Stopped about 6 years ago and don’t work nearby anymore 

1 hour ago, electricprune said:

Oh, yes. I’ll do as many of those as I can. I probably have only been to half of the Metro Detroit shops. So there should be several.

Thanks. I was a regular frequenter of Classic Movies and Comics back in the day before I moved out West.

I've been to Stadium and purchased comics there a few times.  It's a nice shop.  The best shop in the Detroit area these days is probably Big Ben's in Allen Park.  Time Traveler's in Berkley has a lot of stuff and might be worth a look.  If you get up to Flint, you might want to check out The Amazing Book-Store.

Classic Movie and Comic Center was my first comic shop back in 1977 when it was still in Farmington.  It was a great shop.  I worked there from 1986-2005 and find it hard to believe that it has been gone for 15 years.

Edited by kaculler

59 minutes ago, kaculler said:

I've been to Stadium and purchased comics there a few times.  It's a nice shop.  The best shop in the Detroit area these days is probably Big Ben's in Allen Park.  Time Traveler's in Berkley has a lot of stuff and might be worth a look.  If you get up to Flint, you might want to check out The Amazing Book-Store.

Classic Movie and Comic Center was my first comic shop back in 1977 when it was still in Farmington.  It was a great shop.  I worked there from 1986-2005 and find it hard to believe that it has been gone for 15 years.

Wow, you worked there full time for that long? We would have likely crossed paths at some point then. What happened towards the end? I remember the large Livonia store closed, but I believe another smaller shop opened in the same strip mall under the same name. I think I only went there once, and it was focused more on new books and didn't have much as far as back issues went. I honestly didn't think the large location lasted much passed '93 or '94.

58 minutes ago, electricprune said:

Comic Showcase- Wixom, MI

Although it is growing, Wixom still doesn’t have its own High School. Ford used to have the Wixom Plant there, but it was torn down.

I’ve never been to this store before today. It’s on the end of a small strip mall. From the outside, it doesn’t look like much. On the inside, it’s one of the nicest looking comic shops I’ve ever been in. Check out the nice wood floors!

They have many long boxes to look through. They are organized by price, and in no order after that. You can see the pricing on the front of the boxes. They were all 50% off today!

They have a nice selection of books. Most are ‘90- present but there are Bronze and Copper in the boxes. The owner also has many wall books including some keys.

He also carries sports cards, paper money, coins and autographed items. I would definitely check this store out if you’re in the area. Owner seemed like he’d shell and deal if you wanted to. Seemed like a very nice guy. He had supplies and some new books, but this didn’t look like a store you would go to for new monthly books. I am not the best judge of that though. I did notice several Batman, Superman, Punisher and X-Men books in the long boxes. He had 4 other Kong’s with books as marked and not 50% off. Then another box with Mad and sports mags, all bagged and boarded.

My haul was all half off except the ASM book.

C69AF6A6-C98F-4DFE-BF33-746F0440BE17.jpeg

BC1055FA-1BF7-406C-93F7-BE2CD9C1BABA.jpeg

E83E451B-088E-4308-92FB-AC959ABA7FE3.jpeg

DAD531C3-9625-4B1E-A3B8-B7F668EE494E.jpeg

Wow, that is a classy looking shop! It's always nice when a store owner takes pride in their place.

1 hour ago, electricprune said:

Comic Showcase- Wixom, MI

Although it is growing, Wixom still doesn’t have its own High School. Ford used to have the Wixom Plant there, but it was torn down.

I’ve never been to this store before today. It’s on the end of a small strip mall. From the outside, it doesn’t look like much. On the inside, it’s one of the nicest looking comic shops I’ve ever been in. Check out the nice wood floors!

They have many long boxes to look through. They are organized by price, and in no order after that. You can see the pricing on the front of the boxes. They were all 50% off today!

They have a nice selection of books. Most are ‘90- present but there are Bronze and Copper in the boxes. The owner also has many wall books including some keys.

He also carries sports cards, paper money, coins and autographed items. I would definitely check this store out if you’re in the area. Owner seemed like he’d shell and deal if you wanted to. Seemed like a very nice guy. He had supplies and some new books, but this didn’t look like a store you would go to for new monthly books. I am not the best judge of that though. I did notice several Batman, Superman, Punisher and X-Men books in the long boxes. He had 4 other Kong’s with books as marked and not 50% off. Then another box with Mad and sports mags, all bagged and boarded.

My haul was all half off except the ASM book.

C69AF6A6-C98F-4DFE-BF33-746F0440BE17.jpeg

BC1055FA-1BF7-406C-93F7-BE2CD9C1BABA.jpeg

E83E451B-088E-4308-92FB-AC959ABA7FE3.jpeg

DAD531C3-9625-4B1E-A3B8-B7F668EE494E.jpeg

Wow, that is a beautiful shop.  Recalled Action comics?