• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Take a trip with EP to some "local" Brick and Mortar Stores
2 2

71 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, electricprune said:

Nostalgia Ink- Jackson, MI. Home of the Titans and Jackson State Prison.

I have been to this store once before. It’s nice. The owners usually set up at Motor City Comic Con and usually have great stuff to look through.

i picked up some decent books here, including the book of the trip so far. It wasn’t priced, so I was worried he might come back with $50. He checked out something online and said, “$10.” Nice!

Nice selection of Silver through Modern and even had some Gold. They do have some slabs as well. They have a ton of Modern and Independent boxes to look through, but I stuck to the Silver, Bronze, and Copper area. 

Definitely visit this store if you’re in the area. Do not pick up hitch hikers.

Aside: when I walked in, the two guys were JAMMING metal! I guess that probably pumps you up to buy more books. Some of it was Neu-Metal, but that’s ok. I was happy with what I found.

1AF1A74C-92D7-4BCA-8600-D30FF02737A2.jpeg

66368F6D-417F-4AA5-A1F4-63D2C92D4046.jpeg

A6F583D7-D9BC-4A45-B40C-4EA9A80FA222.jpeg

1072B152-C33D-4C92-8D27-16C9A0805E46.jpeg

91A64A9F-8A22-45FF-AB43-63C03ED3DFC2.jpeg

Might be the Boards own Catrick’s local store?

This is a fun thread, thanks!

5 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Might be the Boards own Catrick’s local store?

This is a fun thread, thanks!

That is possible. I believe he lives in Jackson.

I have heard of another store/dealer that used to be in Jackson. People would travel great distances to deal with him because he would get incredible books in quantity. Not sure what his name was or what happened to him.

Edited by electricprune

Amazing Fantasy Books and Comics- Frankfort, IL Home of the Griffons.

So, this is the first out of state visit I've posted. Comic fatigue has started to set in by the time I reach this store about 6:00 PM. When I walk in, I am asked to sanitize my hands, which I gladly do. The store is large, but I really only notice the books, They have some nice books on the wall. I check them out and make my way back to the short/long boxes near the other end of the store. I start to look through them, and most of them are newer books, They're are certainly some Bronze and even a few Silver mixed in, but most are newer than I would usually look at. About half way through the books, it hits me:

I have to check out my one book and get to the nearest gas station.

I didn't really get a chance to fully look at this store. It was very nice, the had many other things besides books, but I didn't get a chance to look much over. I'll need to go back eventually. The store is in a strip mall, but I did not get an exterior picture evidentally. I thought I did.

IMG_0866.jpg

IMG_0867.jpg

IMG_0891.jpg

IMG_0892.jpg

On 8/23/2020 at 7:25 AM, electricprune said:

Stadium Cards and Comics- Ypsilanti, MI (Yes, that's a real city name) Home of Eastern Michigan University.

They had a great convention in Ypsilanti (on campus, I assume) back in the mid-80s. King Kon, I believe. Maybe only 2-3 years. Somehow it seemed like it was replaced on the "schedule" by Mid-Ohio Con, but I could be mistaken.

Looking forward to your review of the Grand Rapids shops at some point.

Fanfare was the first pure comics store in Kalamazoo. Tiny place originally, in a former house, split with a radio station. Basically a living room with one impressive rack of new comics and the rest crammed with back issues, on tables and under the tables. Just a gem. I remember they financed opening the store by speculating in 1,000 copies of New Teen Titans 1. That book hit it big and voila, enough capital to shoestring a store back in the day.

I drove to Chicagoland and got there late Friday. I got to hang out with Brad (sharpcomics) that night and a good part of the next day. I got a room in Joliet. Joliet, like Jackson, MI is well known for having a prison there., The Old Joliet Prison. It is now closed. Since it was built before the US Civil War, I guess it had seen its best days.

If you haven't been there before, it's a beautiful part of the country. I checked in the hotel very late Friday night, so no scenery for me. However, when I got up Saturday morning, I raised the blinds to this glorious picture of nature.

Aside: Joliet once had a professional baseball team named the Joliet Convicts. I'm not making that up.

IMG_0870.JPG

5 hours ago, electricprune said:

Graham Crackers Comics- Plainfield, IL. Home of the Tigers.

Brad sent me to this one solo. It opened at 10 AM, and I was there shortly after. This store has alot to offer. There are many long boxes to look through. When you first walk in, you'll see the Marvel section, and to your left will be many more boxes of DCs to look through. I spent quite a while here. Found several books. They also have some nicer key type books behind the counter.

I even spent a while sitting on the floor looking through long boxes. They had quite a few on their own that were meant for books that are a little higher in price. Silver- Modern books to be had here! Maybe some Gold, but I don't remember them. Some of the walls are also lined with nicer books and keys.

The had non-sports cards and may other items here as well. The store looks to have taken up three smaller units of this strip mall that also has a tattoo parlor and a sports card shop right next door.

If you're looking for Silver-Modern books, I would definitely check this location out!

IMG_0876.JPG

IMG_0877.JPG

IMG_0878.jpg

IMG_0879.jpg

IMG_0900.jpg

IMG_0901.jpg

The Graham Crackers stores are great. I mostly hunt for GA stuff and anytime I'm in Chicago, I make it a point to hit Jamie's stores. They always, have at least something interesting.

7 hours ago, electricprune said:

Graham Crackers Comics- Plainfield, IL. Home of the Tigers.

Brad sent me to this one solo. It opened at 10 AM, and I was there shortly after. This store has alot to offer. There are many long boxes to look through. When you first walk in, you'll see the Marvel section, and to your left will be many more boxes of DCs to look through. I spent quite a while here. Found several books. They also have some nicer key type books behind the counter.

I even spent a while sitting on the floor looking through long boxes. They had quite a few on their own that were meant for books that are a little higher in price. Silver- Modern books to be had here! Maybe some Gold, but I don't remember them. Some of the walls are also lined with nicer books and keys.

The had non-sports cards and may other items here as well. The store looks to have taken up three smaller units of this strip mall that also has a tattoo parlor and a sports card shop right next door.

If you're looking for Silver-Modern books, I would definitely check this location out!

IMG_0876.JPG

IMG_0877.JPG

IMG_0878.jpg

IMG_0879.jpg

IMG_0900.jpg

IMG_0901.jpg

I've bought from them before online so I can confirm they do deliver even to Texas! (and that they have Flash LoL!) (thumbsu loving these photos and getting to see what you are able to pick up!