• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Take a trip with EP to some "local" Brick and Mortar Stores
2 2

71 posts in this topic

On 8/22/2020 at 11:29 PM, electricprune said:

St. Johns Book Exchange- St. Johns, Michigan. St. Johns is a small town close to being in the middle of the lower peninsula.

IMG_0785.jpg

I live ten miles from this one, but haven't been there in a few years, maybe 2013 I think. When I went only the wife was working and all they had was drek. I remember her telling me that her husband is a collector so I figured that was why there weren't too many non-drek comics for sale. Heck, I would've probably grabbed the same ones you found had they been there, but all I saw was 1990's stuff. Glad to see that they are still around and I will have to make a point to go there again.

On 8/23/2020 at 4:47 PM, electricprune said:

I believe they do. I think I have been there once, but didn't buy anything. I'll hit them again eventually. I don't think Lansing has a really good location for back issues. Somewhat surprising with MSU being so close.

Curious Books in Lansing was one of the shops I and my friends would go to back in the 80's, but not too often as we got much better deals at Campus Comics (Campus closed in '98). Curious used to have two locations, one where they sold their comics, and one where they just sold used books. I remember before they split into two stores that the comics were upstairs at the old location. I sold them a bunch of my old paperback books back in '83 I think, and that's when I found out that they also had comics. I just did a search and Curious Books is still listed as having comics, so I may have to make a trip there again.

Another good store in Lansing is close to the capital downtown and is Summit Comics. I've visited this place a few weeks ago and see that they were opening a new room with long boxes. I picked up a bunch of older cheapie books (70's-80's) there. I sometimes buy my new books there and until this year all of the back issues that I saw were pretty dreky, but with the opening of their newer room with the boxes of dollar and up comics, it is worth checking out.

3 hours ago, ThreeSeas said:

Curious Books in Lansing was one of the shops I and my friends would go to back in the 80's, but not too often as we got much better deals at Campus Comics (Campus closed in '98). Curious used to have two locations, one where they sold their comics, and one where they just sold used books. I remember before they split into two stores that the comics were upstairs at the old location. I sold them a bunch of my old paperback books back in '83 I think, and that's when I found out that they also had comics. I just did a search and Curious Books is still listed as having comics, so I may have to make a trip there again.

Another good store in Lansing is close to the capital downtown and is Summit Comics. I've visited this place a few weeks ago and see that they were opening a new room with long boxes. I picked up a bunch of older cheapie books (70's-80's) there. I sometimes buy my new books there and until this year all of the back issues that I saw were pretty dreky, but with the opening of their newer room with the boxes of dollar and up comics, it is worth checking out.

This is good to know. I've known about them, but wasn't sure they had any older books. I will check them out as soon as I can. Thanks!

On 8/29/2020 at 2:57 PM, electricprune said:

That is possible. I believe he lives in Jackson.

I have heard of another store/dealer that used to be in Jackson. People would travel great distances to deal with him because he would get incredible books in quantity. Not sure what his name was or what happened to him.

Dave Hutzley (owner of Dave's Comics in Royal Oak for many years) opened up a store in the 2000s that I think was in the Jackson vicinity.  He had tons of toys and tons of great comics.  He also used to set up at a number of shows.  After a few years, I think he sold everything off to a dealer or a couple of dealers and moved to Arizona.

4 minutes ago, kaculler said:

Dave Hutzley (owner of Dave's Comics in Royal Oak for many years) opened up a store in the 2000s that I think was in the Jackson vicinity.  He had tons of toys and tons of great comics.  He also used to set up at a number of shows.  After a few years, I think he sold everything off to a dealer or a couple of dealers and moved to Arizona.

Dave’s on Washington? If so, I remember that store. I actually think the one I went to on Washington was pre-2000s. Solid stock there either way.

You are a comic encyclopedia, my friend!

32 minutes ago, electricprune said:

Dave’s on Washington? If so, I remember that store. I actually think the one I went to on Washington was pre-2000s. Solid stock there either way.

You are a comic encyclopedia, my friend!

Yes, his store in Royal Oak was on S. Washington, though it moved there from another location in the late 1980s.  I used to go there occasionally, but it was a little bit of a drive from where I grew up in Redford.  It was a pretty nice store.  I think he closed that location in 2000 before moving west along I-94 and sticking to shows before opening up his next store.  

There was also a Dave's II in Ann Arbor that he owned (at least for a while).  I'm not sure when that store closed, but it was also a decent store.  Ann Arbor had a number of decent comic shops, including Eye of Agamotto which closed in 1986 and a few other stores.  After getting my first car in 1986, I started visiting other comic shops in the metro Detroit area, though the main ones I went to were Classic Comics and Comics Archives.  

One of the places I visited was one of Gary Reed's stores.  Gary Reed put on King Kon which was the first comic convention that I attended.  He also started Caliber Comics which published The Crow and many other titles.  Another place is A to Z comics on Ford Road in Garden City.  That store is still there and is worth a visit.

I try to visit comic shops when I travel as you are doing.  I visited local stores in Charlotte and Baltimore when I went to cons there last year and I also visited places in Charleston and Nashville after Heroes Con.  My family went on a long vacation where we drove out to California and back.  I took along my inventory index cards and we bought a few comics during the trip.  Being around comic stores and conventions for 40+ years helps with the comic knowledge.  :)

3 minutes ago, kaculler said:

Yes, his store in Royal Oak was on S. Washington, though it moved there from another location in the late 1980s.  I used to go there occasionally, but it was a little bit of a drive from where I grew up in Redford.  It was a pretty nice store.  I think he closed that location in 2000 before moving west along I-94 and sticking to shows before opening up his next store.  

There was also a Dave's II in Ann Arbor that he owned (at least for a while).  I'm not sure when that store closed, but it was also a decent store.  Ann Arbor had a number of decent comic shops, including Eye of Agamotto which closed in 1986 and a few other stores.  After getting my first car in 1986, I started visiting other comic shops in the metro Detroit area, though the main ones I went to were Classic Comics and Comics Archives.  

One of the places I visited was one of Gary Reed's stores.  Gary Reed put on King Kon which was the first comic convention that I attended.  He also started Caliber Comics which published The Crow and many other titles.  Another place is A to Z comics on Ford Road in Garden City.  That store is still there and is worth a visit.

I try to visit comic shops when I travel as you are doing.  I visited local stores in Charlotte and Baltimore when I went to cons there last year and I also visited places in Charleston and Nashville after Heroes Con.  My family went on a long vacation where we drove out to California and back.  I took along my inventory index cards and we bought a few comics during the trip.  Being around comic stores and conventions for 40+ years helps with the comic knowledge.  :)

Evidently!😁

Yes. I was going to say Dave’s had a second store in Ann Arbor. That sounds 100% correct. I definitely spent most of my time at CC’s too. I lived about 2.5 miles from it, so I could ride my bike there. Even rode to the Livonia location a few times. Not sure my parents were aware of that. Without GPS we weren’t aware of any subdivision short-cuts. So, it was all main streets.

Did you go to RU High or Thurston?

32 minutes ago, electricprune said:

Evidently!😁

Yes. I was going to say Dave’s had a second store in Ann Arbor. That sounds 100% correct. I definitely spent most of my time at CC’s too. I lived about 2.5 miles from it, so I could ride my bike there. Even rode to the Livonia location a few times. Not sure my parents were aware of that. Without GPS we weren’t aware of any subdivision short-cuts. So, it was all main streets.

Did you go to RU High or Thurston?

I graduated from RU in 1988.  I grew up at 5/Inkster so Classic was only a 3 mile bike ride for me, which was nice.  I didn't have to rely on my parents to get me there as much like I did when they were in Farmington.  Did you grow up in Livonia?

11 hours ago, kaculler said:

I graduated from RU in 1988.  I grew up at 5/Inkster so Classic was only a 3 mile bike ride for me, which was nice.  I didn't have to rely on my parents to get me there as much like I did when they were in Farmington.  Did you grow up in Livonia?

So, can I assume you were suspended by Milo Karhu on several different occasions?:kidaround:

1 hour ago, electricprune said:

So, can I assume you were suspended by Milo Karhu on several different occasions?:kidaround:

Ha!  No, I never got suspended.  Milo was a pretty cool guy and a practical joker, too.  He was in charge of the alumni newsletter and I helped maintain the alumni database.  Since you know Karhu, did you go to RU as well?

For the last few years, I helped out at the Graham Crackers trade paperback booth during Wizard World Chicago.  I went to the show with a friend of mine and we would work at the booth for an hour or two each day so that people could get lunch or just take a break. I think that I've only been in one of their stores once, many years ago.

Edited by kaculler

Graham Crackers Comics- Wheaton, IL Home of the Falcons

This GC store is on the second level of a strip mall. We actually took an elevator to get to the second floor. I didn't even see stairs. I'm sure they were somewhere. Upon walking in, you'll notice this store is definitely smaller than the first two. They still have a lot of stock though. Several long boxes right when you walk in. TPBs, etc. line the wall to the right when you walk in. They do have some toys, but this seemed to be a more comic-centric store than the first two. They did have a small hallway in the back of the store that had shelves of cards in binders. So they offer those as well.

I looked through the DC boxes, but didn't find much I wanted to buy. I went to the Marvel boxes, and woah! What a mess. They weren't labeled well, they were all over the place, out of boxes, and I didn't know if they were even to be looked though for sale. I didn't want to bother with them, so I didn't even look through them.

Although smaller, this is still a store worth visiting. They did have some nice wall books. I don't remember seeing any Golden Age books, but they had a bit of Silver.

Aside: Made my first Wall Book purchase of the trip. As usual, just an impulse buy. Brad looked though a lot of longs, but bought nothing.

IMG_0886.JPG

IMG_0884.JPG

Wheaton Interior.jpeg

Wheaton II.jpg

wheaton.jpg

On 9/1/2020 at 6:39 PM, kaculler said:

Dave told me that he sold like a semi trailer full of stuff before he moved to Tucson.

On 9/1/2020 at 9:48 AM, ThreeSeas said:

Curious Books in Lansing was one of the shops I and my friends would go to back in the 80's, but not too often as we got much better deals at Campus Comics (Campus closed in '98).

Just curious if you happened to run into Harley Yee at those stores, when he was an MSU student?

8 hours ago, HouseofComics.Com said:

Just curious if you happened to run into Harley Yee at those stores, when he was an MSU student?

It’s hard for me to imagine Harley as young. He doesn’t seem to have aged much but have always known him as middle aged.

41 minutes ago, piper said:

It’s hard for me to imagine Harley as young. He doesn’t seem to have aged much but have always known him as middle aged.

Harley arrived on Earth already in his mid 30's. 

That was over 10,000 years ago. 

GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Graham Crackers Comics- Downers Grove, IL Home of the 2002-2003 State Champion Trojan Badminton team.

Ok, last Graham Crackers store this trip. Upon walking in, the was the smallest and darkest store by far. They had some decent wall books and many long boxes to look through. This store had the least to offer bookwise, but I would still go here to look through the longs. The Marvel area was very cramped with an extra table placed there with more longs on it. There were some decent books in them. I'm guessing they still needed to be processed and placed in the middle aisle of books.

I did buy a few books. Brad even bought a book. This was our last stop though. Brad headed home and I headed to the hotel for the show the next day. I also forgot to get a picture of the inside of the store. Sorry about that

Aside: This was the least impressive of the four stores I visited. I would still check it out if you are in the area though, especially if you're more into moderns. This was the second of the four GC stores I visited that had a sports card shop right next to it. If you're also a card collector, that's pretty convenient.

IMG_0887.JPG

Downers Grove II.jpg

Downers Grove.jpg

12 hours ago, HouseofComics.Com said:

It's possible, but I was too shy back then to ever talk to much anybody. I didn't know that he went to MSU.