• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Refund - 15 months later???
1 1

71 posts in this topic

Having a hard time with a buyer on here and looking for opinions. I sold a raw silver age book through these threads in May 2019 only to have the seller ASK FOR A REFUND 1 YEAR LATER IN MAY 2020.  

May 13 2019:

Book sold for $400.

May 29 2020:

The buyer isn't happy with the book stating it appeared lower than the stated grade - I considered it in the "fine range" I'd usually decline this type of request as it had been so long since the transaction was completed, but a well known respected presser (yup, it's who you're thinking) was involved. The presser didn't want to risk pressing the book out of fear of damaging it further. I asked the buyer what would make them happy and a partial refund was suggested of 25% or $100. Figured it's only $100 and I spend alot more than that on grading and pressing each of my books anyhow.

May 30 2020:

Sent a partial refund of 25%/$100 - figured seller is a newb and $100 is not worth damaging my rep with this presser

August 21, 2020:

Then I get this in my inbox: "Finally got the book that I bought from you and we had talked about being too brittle to even press.  Came back from CGC 3.5 and not even close to 6.0",

I responded with "

Not sure what to tell you. Are you asking for an additional refund?

In my opinion, the book looked in the fine range and that was 15 months ago. Never meant to deceive you and thought we were fine with the last $100 refund. "

And then this:

"I know you weren’t trying to deceive me, but the grade was so far off.  The difference between 6.0 and 3.5 grade value is close to $400.  You already gave me $100 back, can you do another $50 to cover my grading costs and I think that would be fair?  

In the buyer's defense he only started collecting collectible comics in February of 2019 so he'd only been at it for 3 months before purchasing this raw book in 2019. Just curious for everyone's opinion as to how they'd handle this type of request or advice on how more experienced sellers would treat a customer like this.

Cheers

2 hours ago, c_mkv said:

Having a hard time with a buyer on here and looking for opinions. I sold a raw silver age book through these threads in May 2019 only to have the seller ASK FOR A REFUND 1 YEAR LATER IN MAY 2020.  

May 13 2019:

Book sold for $400.

May 29 2020:

The buyer isn't happy with the book stating it appeared lower than the stated grade - I considered it in the "fine range" I'd usually decline this type of request as it had been so long since the transaction was completed, but a well known respected presser (yup, it's who you're thinking) was involved. The presser didn't want to risk pressing the book out of fear of damaging it further. I asked the buyer what would make them happy and a partial refund was suggested of 25% or $100. Figured it's only $100 and I spend alot more than that on grading and pressing each of my books anyhow.

May 30 2020:

Sent a partial refund of 25%/$100 - figured seller is a newb and $100 is not worth damaging my rep with this presser

August 21, 2020:

Then I get this in my inbox: "Finally got the book that I bought from you and we had talked about being too brittle to even press.  Came back from CGC 3.5 and not even close to 6.0",

I responded with "

Not sure what to tell you. Are you asking for an additional refund?

In my opinion, the book looked in the fine range and that was 15 months ago. Never meant to deceive you and thought we were fine with the last $100 refund. "

And then this:

"I know you weren’t trying to deceive me, but the grade was so far off.  The difference between 6.0 and 3.5 grade value is close to $400.  You already gave me $100 back, can you do another $50 to cover my grading costs and I think that would be fair?  

In the buyer's defense he only started collecting collectible comics in February of 2019 so he'd only been at it for 3 months before purchasing this raw book in 2019. Just curious for everyone's opinion as to how they'd handle this type of request or advice on how more experienced sellers would treat a customer like this.

Cheers

That will give the blues. May need medications and group therapy for that one.

I wouldn't have even entertained the $100 refund.  How do I know you haven't been storing the book in a humid environment under direct sunlight this entire time?  Had the buyer requested a refund upon receipt, then sure, different question.  But if they've had the time to send the book in and have it professionally graded, the window for refunds has closed.  Like others have said, the buyer should try doing that with eBay and see what kind of response they get.

43 minutes ago, Bird said:

you have a bunch of replies, all essentially saying the same thing. I think you have the answer.

Thanks for all feedback. I plan on sharing this thread with the buyer in the hopes their future transactions run smoother and hopefully avoid  this type of situation for other boardies. 

2 hours ago, c_mkv said:

I know....in hindsight that was really, really dumb. Lesson learned. 

Another thing you could do in the future in your sales threads is state a clear window for returns to be accepted. Right up front state :2 weeks, 1 month, 3 days, etc.

Regardless the boards have a generally accepted time frame for a buyer to initiate a refund. Pretty sure it is way less than a year.  Something like 1/12 of that in fact.

Not just unfair that the buyer would request a refund after a year but rather completely ludicrous.

46 minutes ago, boomtown said:

If the book was the X-Men #2 that he sold last May 2019 here on the boards, ebay sold prices have been between $430-$480 for the last 3 or 4 books.

I'd be tempted to offer the whole $300 + $50 grading fees back for the book if returned, and see if the buyer is still interested in valuing the book at that price.