• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Repped Artist Websites (best / worst)
1 1

95 posts in this topic

On 8/26/2020 at 9:57 AM, awayne83 said:

Vodou hit most of the negotiating points on the head, but I'll add bundling to the tactics. I've found reps to be more receptive to work better deals for multiple pieces. Obviously in this scenario they're getting more money for their clients, but your also getting the pages at a price you're comfortable with. Again, this is all predicated on the ability of a rep to maintain a healthy line of communication. :facepalm: Ymmv

This. Easiest way into a conversation, and they don’t have to be monster pieces. In fact, if your budget stretches to it, start with a small piece. Pay the asking price promptly, be polite, and honestly appreciative of the piece once received. Then start talking about what you really really want. I’m not saying to be disingenuous - it’s starting a relationship on a positive note in a world where often people don’t even have the courtesy to say “Hey, I received the art. It’s amazing. Thanks.” 

I’d also have to give a tip of the hat to (outside the current big 3)

1. BritComicArts - Joseph is a font of knowledge and very easy to work with. He’s also promised to sell me all the Sandman pages from his personal collection, so don’t even bother asking him about them. 😁

2. Cam Jarvis at Inky Knuckles - he’s super easy to communicate with and has rapidly built an excellent roster of artists whose work I am enjoying very much. The vibe is very relaxed and I’ve been enjoying the online shows that he’s been producing. 

3. Annabel at KirbysComicArt continues to improve the website and is a deft hand with commissions. She remembers what you like and often sends some tempting new artwork. 

44 minutes ago, dichotomy said:

She remembers what you like and often sends some tempting new artwork. 

This is the point about not making offers, trying to pay up front even if terms are offered, and if terms are used then making sure you meet them. Who knows when a new cover is done or a really great splash they may think of you first. I look at it like investing in future art options. Make sure they remember you for the right reasons.

On 8/30/2020 at 9:10 AM, vodou said:

Yes. Only gas stations get to pull this junk off lol

The reason they get to do that is the standard contracts with credit card companies only permit a premium over cash/check if the price difference between the two are noted for each item. Gas stations can do it because they only sell, say, 3 grades of gas plus diesel (things the repair shop or 7-11 sells don’t count). Try labeling the price difference for every item at a supermarket, which also change regularly, and it would be impossible. So, no premiums to post (or discounts for cash/check). 

I think the thread is a great idea, I bookmarked a few sites I wasn't familiar with and found some art I'm interested in.   Personally, I ascribe to the if you don't have anything nice to say theory- and I can draw my own conclusions.

I'm sure dealers could make a Yelp list of customers to avoid too. ;)   

32 minutes ago, RBerman said:

Has anyone had any success reaching Kwan recently? I asked about a piece last week and again this week, but so far no reply. Maybe on vacation, hopefully not ill?

Me too. I've seen him posting on IG stories tho so he's alive :)

Kwan is awesome, I'm sure he's just busy. I'll prolly check back in soon.

Edited by Twanj

On 4/14/2021 at 11:06 AM, RBerman said:

Has anyone had any success reaching Kwan recently? I asked about a piece last week and again this week, but so far no reply. Maybe on vacation, hopefully not ill?

He's getting the emails for sure but might just be on vacation. I sent an email asking about a piece a few weeks back and when I didn't hear back tried again but no luck. I was able to reach out to the artist directly who asked me if I was the same person who they heard from Kwan was emailing about the same piece which I was. So we can at least assume from that that, Kwan while not responding is still reading the emails and communicating with his repped artists about their contents.

4 hours ago, DeadpoolJr. said:

He's getting the emails for sure but might just be on vacation. I sent an email asking about a piece a few weeks back and when I didn't hear back tried again but no luck. I was able to reach out to the artist directly who asked me if I was the same person who they heard from Kwan was emailing about the same piece which I was. So we can at least assume from that that, Kwan while not responding is still reading the emails and communicating with his repped artists about their contents.

Whew! Glad it's not just me.

I sent another message which he read, but no reply. Just a lot going on now I guess!

I never thought of it until reading this thread, but would it be helpful if I modified my website, comicseeker.com, so you can search dealer sites? Basically, enter an artist name and get results from all dealer sites to see if they have art by that artist. It would take some time, but if there was a need, I could do so.

On 8/24/2020 at 10:08 AM, Rick2you2 said:

I’m not sure I follow, or agree, with that distinction. A rep acts as the artist agent. To maximize the artist’s cash flow, if that is what the artist wants, it can make sense to keep the price “competitive”. But set it too low, and the artist, as well as the rep, leave money on the table. And, it can set the market price low which impacts further income from sales. Since some people just want one example of an artist’s work, that is a limited strategy, too.
A dealer acts solely in his interest. But, with one apparent exception, needs cash flow, too, to buy and sell more art. Sitting on high priced inventory for a long time isn’t typically a good way to make money (exceptions noted). 
That Felix has found a sweet spot is a credit to him, but he isn’t doing it out of beneficence—just smart work effort.

I realize I am resurrecting a years old thread, but I often enjoy and respect your insights and I'm curious... 

Do we know if reps really do act as agents? Like, are they negotiating artists salaries for their work on books, submitting samples to publishers, and lobbying for their artists to get runs on major titles all the while negotiating fees with the big two and arranging con appearances?

Because I think of agents for actors and athletes as quite different than reps for comic artists, but perhaps I'm way off and they are actually similar.

Or are they more so handling the artists interactions and jobs with the public? 

I'm genuinely curious how much you and other experienced collectors know about what reps actually do for their artists. 

Have a good one!

On 12/20/2022 at 1:11 AM, babsrocks31 said:

I realize I am resurrecting a years old thread, but I often enjoy and respect your insights and I'm curious... 

Do we know if reps really do act as agents? Like, are they negotiating artists salaries for their work on books, submitting samples to publishers, and lobbying for their artists to get runs on major titles all the while negotiating fees with the big two and arranging con appearances?

Because I think of agents for actors and athletes as quite different than reps for comic artists, but perhaps I'm way off and they are actually similar.

Or are they more so handling the artists interactions and jobs with the public? 

I'm genuinely curious how much you and other experienced collectors know about what reps actually do for their artists. 

Have a good one!

The short answer is no, I don’t. What I wrote was directed at Felix’s pricing practices. Here is the longer answer. In the law, there are 2 basic roles a person can have when dealing with someone else: agent or independent contractor  (technically, there are a few more, like quasi-arbitrator or dual agency, but I’ll save that for another day). An agent is legally obligated to follow the principal’s directions, an independent contractor is not. A dealer is the very epitome of an independent contractor: the dealer buys and sells on its own account. An agent does not. The agent can make recommendations to a principal, but must do what he/she is told or terminate the relationship. Felix is an agent who has a philosophy favoring volume sales at “reasonable” prices. He makes his money based on an unknown mix of percentages of sales price or lump sum amounts. He undoubtedly recommends pricing to his clients to move the material—a sensible approach for those artists generating a lot of new material and building name recognition. For established and desired artists, like Bruce Timm, why leave money on the table by seeking less than the maximum and sparing the artist extra work? Now if an artist didn’t like his agent’s approach, he can always say no and leave it to the agent to decide whether to continue as an agent. But, if an independent contractor owns the art, he can set the price as high or as low as he wants.

The only activities I have seen agents involve themselves in this field are sales of existing art and commissions. I would expect them to be involved in reprints, unless that is already governed by their contract with a publisher. Could they be doubling as Scott Boras’s in the baseball world? Yes, but I would hope they use an attorney for anything besides percentage numbers and raw dollars.

On 12/20/2022 at 11:02 AM, Rick2you2 said:

The short answer is no, I don’t. What I wrote was directed at Felix’s pricing practices. Here is the longer answer. In the law, there are 2 basic roles a person can have when dealing with someone else: agent or independent contractor  (technically, there are a few more, like quasi-arbitrator or dual agency, but I’ll save that for another day). An agent is legally obligated to follow the principal’s directions, an independent contractor is not. A dealer is the very epitome of an independent contractor: the dealer buys and sells on its own account. An agent does not. The agent can make recommendations to a principal, but must do what he/she is told or terminate the relationship. Felix is an agent who has a philosophy favoring volume sales at “reasonable” prices. He makes his money based on an unknown mix of percentages of sales price or lump sum amounts. He undoubtedly recommends pricing to his clients to move the material—a sensible approach for those artists generating a lot of new material and building name recognition. For established and desired artists, like Bruce Timm, why leave money on the table by seeking less than the maximum and sparing the artist extra work? Now if an artist didn’t like his agent’s approach, he can always say no and leave it to the agent to decide whether to continue as an agent. But, if an independent contractor owns the art, he can set the price as high or as low as he wants.

The only activities I have seen agents involve themselves in this field are sales of existing art and commissions. I would expect them to be involved in reprints, unless that is already governed by their contract with a publisher. Could they be doubling as Scott Boras’s in the baseball world? Yes, but I would hope they use an attorney for anything besides percentage numbers and raw dollars.

I was uneducated in the law aspects, and appreciate that insight. Thank you.

This is a point of interest to me. That is, what roles "reps" actually play in the comic art field. I wonder to what extent they set prices or dictate much of anything aside from selling pages and arranging commissions.

On 12/21/2022 at 8:28 PM, babsrocks31 said:

what roles "reps" actually play in the comic art field. I wonder to what extent they set prices or dictate much of anything aside from selling pages and arranging commissions.

Promotion of the artist and the artist's work is another duty that I believe they provide especially Felix.

On 12/21/2022 at 8:12 PM, alxjhnsn said:

Promotion of the artist and the artist's work is another duty that I believe they provide especially Felix.

Right, but promotion to whome? To us, the art buying public consumers, or are many reps actually working with publishers on behalf of artists? That's what I wonder.

Like, if DC wants so and so to draw a 6 issue mini series on man bat are they going through so and so's rep to arrange that? Or, is the artist arranging it and the rep is helping the artist sell the pages associated with the series and handle related commission requests.