Repped Artist Websites (best / worst)
1 1

75 posts in this topic

On 8/26/2020 at 9:57 AM, awayne83 said:

Vodou hit most of the negotiating points on the head, but I'll add bundling to the tactics. I've found reps to be more receptive to work better deals for multiple pieces. Obviously in this scenario they're getting more money for their clients, but your also getting the pages at a price you're comfortable with. Again, this is all predicated on the ability of a rep to maintain a healthy line of communication. :facepalm: Ymmv

This. Easiest way into a conversation, and they don’t have to be monster pieces. In fact, if your budget stretches to it, start with a small piece. Pay the asking price promptly, be polite, and honestly appreciative of the piece once received. Then start talking about what you really really want. I’m not saying to be disingenuous - it’s starting a relationship on a positive note in a world where often people don’t even have the courtesy to say “Hey, I received the art. It’s amazing. Thanks.” 

I’d also have to give a tip of the hat to (outside the current big 3)

1. BritComicArts - Joseph is a font of knowledge and very easy to work with. He’s also promised to sell me all the Sandman pages from his personal collection, so don’t even bother asking him about them. 😁

2. Cam Jarvis at Inky Knuckles - he’s super easy to communicate with and has rapidly built an excellent roster of artists whose work I am enjoying very much. The vibe is very relaxed and I’ve been enjoying the online shows that he’s been producing. 

3. Annabel at KirbysComicArt continues to improve the website and is a deft hand with commissions. She remembers what you like and often sends some tempting new artwork. 

44 minutes ago, dichotomy said:

She remembers what you like and often sends some tempting new artwork. 

This is the point about not making offers, trying to pay up front even if terms are offered, and if terms are used then making sure you meet them. Who knows when a new cover is done or a really great splash they may think of you first. I look at it like investing in future art options. Make sure they remember you for the right reasons.

On 8/30/2020 at 9:10 AM, vodou said:

Yes. Only gas stations get to pull this junk off lol

The reason they get to do that is the standard contracts with credit card companies only permit a premium over cash/check if the price difference between the two are noted for each item. Gas stations can do it because they only sell, say, 3 grades of gas plus diesel (things the repair shop or 7-11 sells don’t count). Try labeling the price difference for every item at a supermarket, which also change regularly, and it would be impossible. So, no premiums to post (or discounts for cash/check). 

I think the thread is a great idea, I bookmarked a few sites I wasn't familiar with and found some art I'm interested in.   Personally, I ascribe to the if you don't have anything nice to say theory- and I can draw my own conclusions.

I'm sure dealers could make a Yelp list of customers to avoid too. ;)   

Has anyone had any success reaching Kwan recently? I asked about a piece last week and again this week, but so far no reply. Maybe on vacation, hopefully not ill?

32 minutes ago, RBerman said:

Has anyone had any success reaching Kwan recently? I asked about a piece last week and again this week, but so far no reply. Maybe on vacation, hopefully not ill?

Me too. I've seen him posting on IG stories tho so he's alive :)

Kwan is awesome, I'm sure he's just busy. I'll prolly check back in soon.

Edited by Twanj
On 4/14/2021 at 11:06 AM, RBerman said:

He's getting the emails for sure but might just be on vacation. I sent an email asking about a piece a few weeks back and when I didn't hear back tried again but no luck. I was able to reach out to the artist directly who asked me if I was the same person who they heard from Kwan was emailing about the same piece which I was. So we can at least assume from that that, Kwan while not responding is still reading the emails and communicating with his repped artists about their contents.

4 hours ago, DeadpoolJr. said:

He's getting the emails for sure but might just be on vacation. I sent an email asking about a piece a few weeks back and when I didn't hear back tried again but no luck. I was able to reach out to the artist directly who asked me if I was the same person who they heard from Kwan was emailing about the same piece which I was. So we can at least assume from that that, Kwan while not responding is still reading the emails and communicating with his repped artists about their contents.

Whew! Glad it's not just me.

I sent another message which he read, but no reply. Just a lot going on now I guess!

I never thought of it until reading this thread, but would it be helpful if I modified my website, comicseeker.com, so you can search dealer sites? Basically, enter an artist name and get results from all dealer sites to see if they have art by that artist. It would take some time, but if there was a need, I could do so.