• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This is a 4.0?

44 posts in this topic

IF the book is otherwise almost perfect, and that slice is considered some sort of manufacturing defect rather than after the fact damage, I could just about see the 4.0... but it's fundamentally the sort of book that the numeric scale doesn't handle worth a darn at all.  That's a perfect example of something I would want a qualified label on.

5 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

IF the book is otherwise almost perfect, and that slice is considered some sort of manufacturing defect rather than after the fact damage, I could just about see the 4.0... but it's fundamentally the sort of book that the numeric scale doesn't handle worth a darn at all.  That's a perfect example of something I would want a qualified label on.

If CGC could be certain that this was incurred in assembly, wouldn't that be noted on the label? 

1 hour ago, Neckbone said:

So you're saying you don't think the 4.0 is a mistake? That's frigging :screwy: No way that book should get above a 2.0. I would give it a 1.0 if I was selling it raw.

On the up side, my EC collection just quadrupled in value if that's a legit 4.0. I thought my books were in crappy condition but apparently not :banana:

Opinions vary, but I don't think this is a mistake. I've seen books with major flaws like this wind up in the 3.0 - 3.5 range many times. Like the saying goes, buy the book, not the grade...

6 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

Opinions vary, but I don't think this is a mistake. I've seen books with major flaws like this wind up in the 3.0 - 3.5 range many times. Like the saying goes, buy the book, not the grade...

Why wouldn't it get a purple label?  Because I don't have the keenest eye, but I picked up on a hint of trimming?? Unless they are calling it a manafactuer defect? 

1 minute ago, KCOComics said:

Why wouldn't it get a purple label?  Because I don't have the keenest eye, but I picked up on a hint of trimming?? Unless they are calling it a manafactuer defect? 

I can't really answer that question, but perhaps the notes would reveal something of interest...

4 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

Miscut?

Possibly...

Also, keep in mind that this book would qualify as a Golden Age book. There have been graders at CGC that favored Golden Age books above all others. I've seen Golden Age books with a large coupon clipped from the cover still receive a Universal 2.5...

Edited by The Lions Den