• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What book started your love of comics?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Love of comics began with the onset of VALIANT. Harbinger 1 was the first comic that I remember coming out on fire on release day. I rode my bike after school to try and get one but missed out. After that day I couldn’t afford a NM Harby 1 till years later. If you guys weren’t around when OG VALIANT was started, trust me they were “the” comics to collect. 

On a side note the one comic I saw as a kid that I always knew I wanted was ASM 300. I remember it being a wall book at my local store and thinking how cool it would be to have one. Pipe dream for a ten year old kid in 1990. ASM 300 was the first CGC book I ever bought and I have owned many since. 

Around Christmas, or just after the first of the year, when I was three years old my parents and I visited my youngest uncle, who would have been around 20 at the time.  Before we left he gave me a stack of comics and Mad magazines.  Among the random issues of Junior Woodchucks and Porky Pig were these four - all of which were fairly recent (cover dated 12/71 to 2/72).  I recognized Batman and Superman, but all the other characters were a mystery to me for years.  The two wraparound covers were particularly mind-blowing.

Even though I didn't learn to read for another couple of years I poured over these comics, and still know most of the stories by heart almost panel by panel.  And the combination of new stories mixed with reprints going back to the 40s gave me an immediate love and interest in older Golden and Silver Age stories and comics, even if I didn't realize it at t he time.  

I still have my ratty, well-read and much loved copies from 1972, although the cover to the Batman disappeared years ago....  I have gotten nicer copies of each of these other the years, but I still go back to the torn, taped, shabby copies to read. 

232484284_BandB100.jpg.622ca451510fa8ea45a3974fc85a2ae0.jpg

JLA95.jpg.335450bc92479b861d0ed03324586b16.jpgBatman238.jpg.062ff01bff835677cf5724239db86bae.jpg

DC100pg6.jpg.9cf94b9fe3919c79c3dfc9e2e07a9e4c.jpg

My dad was a big influencer on getting me into comics/ magazines  - from Airboy to Kamandi to Star Spangled War Stories to Eerie ... Spidey and the         X-Men were one my first Marvel reads .. the first big “ event “ I remember was “The Fall of the mutants “

rantrantover ...

13 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Although far from being the first comics I ever read, as there have been many threads about that subject, the first series of comics that gave me a sense of excitement and something to look forward to each month on the newsstand were the DC 100 page comics from the mid 1970s.  As a kid I absolutely loved those, in particular Detective Comics, Justice League, House of Mystery, Superman Family, Superboy (Legion of Super-Heroes) and Shazam!.

The mixture of new material and reprints going back as far as the Golden Age, styles I was unfamiliar with as a young British kid. Easily the best thought-out selection was assembled by Archie Goodwin in Detective Comics, along with his brilliant Manhunter serial.

It was a good thing that came to an end much too quickly.

I came home from school.  Kindergarten or first grade, not really sure when.  There was a shoebox of comics that someone had brought over.  I assume my dad knew someone with a newsstand while he was working for the post office.  Anyways, there were quite a few books in there.  Most I read until they fell apart and I never picked up any to be continued stories.  But I read the heck out of two in particular and that got me going.  Still have both in mylars and fullbacks.  

asm328ns.jpg

daredevil276ns.jpg

1 minute ago, mec3437 said:

I came home from school.  Kindergarten or first grade, not really sure when.  There was a shoebox of comics that someone had brought over.  I assume my dad knew someone with a newsstand while he was working for the post office.  Anyways, there were quite a few books in there.  Most I read until they fell apart and I never picked up any to be continued stories.  But I read the heck out of two in particular and that got me going.  Still have both in mylars and fullbacks.  

asm328ns.jpg

That's awesome, I just picked up a copy of that same book!

ASM 328 COVER.jpg

44 minutes ago, mec3437 said:

daredevil276ns.jpg

I really like Ann Nocenti’s run on Daredevil.

I’ve tried to re-read some more of her stuff over the last few years, such as Longshot and the Classic X-Men stories, but I’ve been quite underwhelmed by them.

For me, the Daredevils are her best work, and still hold up.