• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Trading Cards
8 8

293 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, ganni said:

Bronze age Marvel for a bronze age generation

When paintings started in trading cards

Its so rare to find well known comic book artists

b1.jpg

1993 Masterpieces probably has the most well known comic artists with names like Kaluta, Steranko, Sienkiewicz in it...oddly enough it’s one of the least popular sets. The design of the cards and characters for the insert set was definitely not my favorite. 

11 hours ago, Mephisto said:

1993 Masterpieces probably has the most well known comic artists with names like Kaluta, Steranko, Sienkiewicz in it...oddly enough it’s one of the least popular sets. The design of the cards and characters for the insert set was definitely not my favorite. 

1993 Masterpieces was a trial run.  Trying to figure out what the market really want.  Artist like Steranko was just trying to hard to be more artistic for my taste.  Sienkiewicz  was just being Sienkiewicz.

On 4/7/2021 at 9:49 AM, Mephisto said:

The insert set was really the worst choice for characters. They did 2099 characters but didnt even bother to do the decent charcters like hulk 2099, spiderman 2099, or doom 2099. 

3 minutes ago, jason4 said:

The insert set was really the worst choice for characters. They did 2099 characters but didnt even bother to do the decent charcters like hulk 2099, spiderman 2099, or doom 2099. 

Spider-Man 2099 is a base card in the set painted by Jusko. Doom 2099, Hulk 2099, Punisher 2099 are all in the base set.

Edited by Mephisto

2 minutes ago, Mephisto said:

Spider-Man 2099 is a base card in the set painted by Jusko.

Yes I know, I have it. It's probably the most slight after card. I think they should have done him again for the insert set to make those desirable but I guess they want to try out other characters. 

On 4/5/2021 at 12:42 PM, Mephisto said:

Print run on 96 is a lot lower than 92-94 MM sets.

It sure is. I hear different things about 95. I think it was more mass produced than 96 but less than 92-94...and those mirages are extremely rare. I'm working on the emotion set now and it is not easy either. 

3 minutes ago, jason4 said:

Yes I know, I have it. It's probably the most slight after card. I think they should have done him again for the insert set to make those desirable but I guess they want to try out other characters. 

They were trying to make X-Men 2099 happen, since X-Men was such a hot commodity in the early 90’s...except X-Men 2099 and basically the whole 2099 Universe really caught on. 

Too bad they wasted Bob Larkin’s art on those characters.

I was going through my 94 Fleer Ultra set and found #98 Iceman card has no number (it would be above the fleer logo on the back bottom right). I have 2 so I assume it's not truly an error card. Anyone know if there's one with the number on it?

20210410_130325_1.jpg

20210410_130348_1.jpg

I found some Pepsi/Fleer  Marvel cards from 1994 that are in Spanish. These particular cards are uncut, two across and two high, and are folded in half, as if they were an insert in a book or a magazine. I see regular versions of these cards on ebay, but can't find the uncut ones. As I'm near the Mexican border, I suspect they are from Mexico.

Any information on them would be appreciated.

Edited by shadroch